Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT not working  (Read 3016 times)

LesleyJ

• First Flush
HRT not working
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:50:50 PM »

Hi all, new to this so please bare with!
I started taking HRT beginning of the year, Estroderm patch and Utrogestan. Long story short, all menopause symptoms started coming back recently so managed to get a phone appt with the doctor.
Dose upped and changed to gel instead of patch. 5 weeks later, flushes back with a vengeance, aches, pains, palpitations etc etc.
Have decided to stop. Any advice on vitamins/supplements that might help please?
Also, anxiety is an issue so anything for this?

sheila99

Re: HRT not working
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 08:29:56 PM »

IMO increasing your oestrogen is the best option. It's normal to need an increase as your ovaries produce less. You may have absorbed more from the patch than gel. How many pumps are you on? I started on 2 in peri but now need 4. Anxiety was one of my symptoms too and it's completely gone now (it was the reason for the latest increase).

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »

Hi LesleyJ. Good advice from sheila. I'm wondering when you last had a full blood count as it's not only menopause that can give these symptoms? As my own GP says 'never just assume'.

You will find this forum a great place for help, friendship and understanding.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

LesleyJ

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 03:29:55 PM »

Hi, I went from 25mg to a 1g sachet of gel, but told to use half and double up if I felt I needed to. To be honest, I pretty much used the whole sachet most days but didn't feel any improvement. In fact the flushes increased and whn I read the side effects on the gel, it said may cause flushes! That is one of the things I was struggling with so felt it pretty useless if that was the case.
As for a blood count, I've never been offered one, though I did think this was something that they would do. I did have a blood test before lockdown and that picked up low levels of vitamin d, so they gave me a superboost on that and I'm now on it daily. Everything else seemed fine.
I've only been asked to do a self bp and weight at the surgery as obviously with Covid, appointments with gp's are like gold dust at the minute.
I'm wondering if the patch is what I need to be on.
At the minute, i'll see how it goes without any hrt and then review it, though think the anxiety may be the one thing that gets me back on to it. Really appreciating your thoughts and comments on this though x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »

I think that when the doctor says "double up if needed" it means that you give each dose a good try - i.e. for up to three months - to give your body time to adjust before upping it if necessary. I might have got that wrong though as I have only used patches. Do you mean you have been on the gel for five weeks but changed the dose during that time? Five weeks is not long enough to find out whether it will help you but I can understand your frustration. With the alternative therapies it is worth scrolling back through this thread to find what has worked for others. I can't help with that as I went straight for HRT which thankfully worked for me - after the initial ups and down of the first three months.

I hope that you find something that will make you feel better soon. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x

sheila99

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 01:44:57 PM »

25mg is a low dose so no surprise you need more. I started on 50mg in peri and this seems to be the starting dose for many people. Flushes usually go within a couple of weeks so if you still have them it would indicate a higher dose is needed (unless it's a side effect of course). Other symptoms take longer, it was 3 months before my anxiety and insomnia went. If you think the gel doesn't agree with you perhaps try a 50mg patch?

LesleyJ

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »

Taz2, the doctors words were start with 50mg and if you feel you need a top up some days, take 1g.
When I first started the hrt with patches, after about 3 weeks, I started feeling great - no anxiety, sleeping well, though I think that was the Utrogestan as that seemed to knock me out, flushes went, joint aches and pains all went.
So after speaking to the doctor, I thought maybe just an increase was needed, but maybe it is just the gel that doesnt work for me. I have to say though that currently, since stopping hrt, the flushes have reduced and the migraines are less. So I'll see how it goes.
Think its all trial and error to start with.
Once I can get an appointment I may see if I can start on a higher does patch this time and see how that works.
This forum is really helpful for me. You do feel that you are the only one going through it and some days you wonder if you actally have something far more sinister going on, thats the anxiety I guess, but hopefully I'll get there.
Everyone's comments and advice are really appreciated  x