Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Choosing care as we age  (Read 1452 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Choosing care as we age
« on: October 19, 2020, 07:59:16 AM »

Having been involved with two homes: 1 nursing which had bed bound patients on the upper floor: Dad was bed bound for 3 months on the upper floor:  and currently a care home with same ........... if one trawls the UK net for care/nursing homes not many are single story. 

I haven't found any Laws that relate to the number of Staff ratio.   :-\. ?FrannyB?

Trawling the net for suitable care homes in the late 1990s for my Dad I found that there is the option of choosing 'care' which doesn't have nursing facilities or a nursing home which provides nurses 24/7. 

Mum choose the Home 3 years ago as she knew someone who had been cared for as well as thinking that her friends would travel the 5 miles from her village to visit.  They all did: once.  Of course they are also ageing so it became more difficult.  Where Mum is has weekly cover from the GP surgery and Practice Nurse, now done on Zoom rather than visiting on a Monday.  Any medical nursing and End of Life care is provided by the District Nurses.  Certain drugs are administered and registered in the correct way.   There are 2 carers on over night for up to 25 residents some who have dementia.

There are 2 stair ways where Mum stays, both winding but reasonably wide.  Even so ............

When Dad was a resident he was nursed upstairs, bed bound for the final 3 months.  Fire risk has always worried me and I do wonder how residents, however able, would be rescued from the upper floors particularly when bed bound.  Lifts are not to be used during a fire. 

I no longer look at the CQC reports as these can be misleading.  For example, the 1 covering where Mum stays states that the Facebook pages are private.  However, they are public access.  There are other issues in their last report but the CQC refuse to engage with me on a 1-1 basis for discussion about my concerns.

My 1st priority was that the areas weren't smelly !
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:02:45 AM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Choosing care as we age
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 07:42:17 PM »

How can patients be moved in beds from any level other than ground floor?   I worked on an Orthopaedic Ward which was on the 2nd floor and theatres were on the 11th.  1 bed fitted into a lift which of course, during a fire would not work.  The Wards had 15 beds each side [male and female]. 

I don't see how the CQC fits into hospitals.  Are there any Laws which state how many staff constitutes Safe Working Practices, my sister left the NHS because she was the 1 qualified member of staff on at night - the other person had a 1st aid cert.; for 24 very ill patients.  Go figure.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 04:31:46 PM »

Tnx.

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 06:48:53 PM »

Sounds like a good plan. I hope it works better than at Grenfell...

CLKD

How Much would you Pay ? (Choosing care as we age)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 06:50:41 PM »

I was reading about a Company in Chelsea that charge £17,000 per month for a 1-bed flat and utilities: there are communal areas, a spa, library, it wasn't clear if they were charged as an extra. 

Monthly cost rises if 1 requires 2/3 bedder.  I would expect breakfast in bed for that amount  ;D