Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Full hysterectomy - nervous  (Read 3259 times)

Florrie2

Full hysterectomy - nervous
« on: October 08, 2020, 05:43:40 PM »

Hi.
I am going to be going for a full abdominal hysterectomy (once my poor consultant has gone through my page of questions with me  :) ). I had an abdominal myomectomy 9 years ago so I know a bit of what to expect directly after the operation due to both ops being a midline incision.

I know millions of women have had them but it doesn’t stop you being scared does it and worrying you are going to burst your stitches or wash them off in the shower and all your insides (what’s left) falling out... and all the daft things in your head.

I’m not in menopause so will go onto HRT, the big reason being to keep osteoporosis at bay as my mum has had a bad time with it. So I then worry about going from loads of estrogen to none, sexual desire going, dryness, etc etc.

I am generally a glass half full person but I can sometimes freefall into anxiety.

Any nice thoughts welcomed, even if it is: yes loads of women go through this, get on with it Girl!

Sage 🍃

Re: Full hysterectomy - nervous
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 06:04:37 PM »

Hi sweetie, by full hysterectomy do you mean womb and both ovaries? Why are you having it?

I can't tell you it's a simple procedure because it's not, but as you say, many women have gone through it, my sister is one of them, and I can tell you she's doing great and I envy her because she doesn't need progesterone!

Good luck and relax 💐😙

Florrie2

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »

Thanks Sage.

Yes it is womb and ovaries due to fibroids, ovarian cysts and endometriosis so worth having done. I’m trying to look forward to some time off work and all the reading I can do as well as get through some box sets..

Smitten

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:39:18 PM »

I had mine 3 years ago on the 10th October. I huge fibroids 20+ cms so had the abdominal. Like you I had huge anxiety. My one piece of advice is to listen to your body and don’t stress yourself comparing your recovery to others, all our bodies heal at different paces, I had the full 12 weeks off work and needed every minute. Sending best wishes and hugs xx

Florrie2

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 06:46:45 PM »

Thanks Smitten.

Lyncola

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 08:24:32 AM »

I had a hysterectomy still got my ovaries over two years ago. It was keyhole and the worst pain was the gas leaving my body. Peppermint tea really helps. I was up and walking and going to the toilet within 10 hours after my operation.

I found the worst pain was three weeks after the operation. From my research on the internet most women seem to get this problem. It’s all your body parts inside moving around and setting themselves back in place.

My biggest regret is still keeping my ovaries, they gave me lots of problems a year and a half after my operation. Because of that my doctor won’t let me go on HRT. And what was the point in keeping them I had one month of being great after my recovery then I went into menopause.

You will be fine and wishing you a speedy recovery

Florrie2

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 08:35:49 AM »

That’s really interesting - I did think there must be some settling time if you have a gap where something was, particularly if you have some add-ons like fibroids which take up even more room. 

I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer. It always helps to know you aren’t on your own, which I suppose is the point of forums like this.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 10:37:47 AM »

Lyncola - is that a GP or a Consultant?   What symptom would you like to ease, you may have said elsewhere but I have a meno brain  :-\

Florrie2 - good luck!  Of course our minds go into overdrive!  I wonder whether beginning HRT prior to surgery is an option?  As well as vaginal atrophy treatment - you can read about that on the Forum.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry all over: inside and out  :o  ::) as well as muscles may Become lax = aches and pains.  Fun ain't it  :D.

You may of course be absolutely fine!  My friend had 'enough wind to fly a kite' after her surgery so ask about how to relief that prior to surgery.  Apparently air gets into the cavities of which there are many because we aren't solid inside -  :-\ which has to find it's way out. 

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 07:38:33 AM »

Florrie2 it’s more everything settling back in to place as the surgeon is moving things around to get to what they want to remove and for me finding the Endometriosis. And probably the gas moving things around too.

CLKD my GP and symptoms worst ones are virginal atrophy (I’m lucky as my doctor allows me to take both Vagifem and Ovestin. And how much I like)
Lots of body pain and IBS. I’m mainly okay, in pain every day. But I can manage, just get a couple of days about 36 days apart where all my symptoms like to hit me and hit me hard. Then I just go back to normal everyday pain. Every day is different. But I feel better then last year where every day was high pain.

I just tell myself “it’s all menopausal related and menopause is shit” then I continue on with what I was doing  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »

Lyncola - Vaginal atrophy does improve with continual use of appropriate treatments. 

Lyncola

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 08:16:55 AM »

20 months of treatment now a bit like two steps forward one step back. At the moment I’m two nights Vagifem one night Ovestin and so on. When I feel good again I will cut back to 5 per week.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 08:36:00 PM »

How are you doing, Florrie2?