Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Unexpected Bleeding on HRT  (Read 1284 times)

Red Fox

Unexpected Bleeding on HRT
« on: November 05, 2020, 10:18:22 AM »

Hi, I'm new here and I'm hoping others can share if they have had similar experiences to me.

I am 55 and have been on Femoston 1/10mg for four years. It worked extremely well and I still have a withdrawal bleed every month.

However this month, I had the usual withdrawal bleed and five days after it finished, I had another "period" which was light but persistent and lasted again around 5-6 days. Also, in the lead up to this second period I had extremely sore breasts and awful mood swings. I assumed it was just my hormones going crazy. However I have spoken to my GP who is rather concerned and wants me to have a womb scan to "rule out" endometrial cancer.

I am waiting for an appointment now and trying to be positive, but frankly I'm frightened.

Has anyone else had this experience? What does a womb scan involve?

Thank you
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 11:22:01 AM by Red Fox »

sheila99

Re: Unexpected Bleeding on HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »

I have experienced bleeding at the wrong time and sometimes twice in a month. It happened when my cycle was out of step with the hrt cycle. As long as you have period symptoms it's most likely just that. Some GPS are a bit paranoid because they think everyone is menopausal by 55 (must be in a text book somewhere) but I was still mostly regular when I went on hrt at 57. Bleeding after menopause should always be investigated but you may not know if you are as you're on hrt.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »

Hi Red Fox. Good advice from sheila99.

The scan is an ultrasound over your tummy and also a trans-vaginal scan. I've had a couple of these and they are nothing to worry about. The worst part I found was having to have a full bladder for the ultrasound  ;D. You are then allowed to go to the toilet before having the internal one. You can have the scan during a bleed too so don't worry about that.

I'm sure your GP is just being cautious but I've always welcomed the chance of a scan just to check that all's ok. Let us know how you get on.

Taz x :welcomemm:

Red Fox

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 10:20:09 AM »

Hi Sheila - thank you for your response. In my heart I feel it is hormonal and even though I'm on HRT I don't think I would have had the menopause yet - although that's just a hunch. I was a very late starter at 15! So I guess I'm a later finisher.

Thank you for this - it's good to know I'm not alone.

Red Fox

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »

Thank you Taz!

Nice to know that it's no big deal - omg the full bladder thing - I remember that from when I was pregnant, not such a joyous time right now. lol

This has eased my mind a little so I'm most grateful.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 12:41:37 AM »

I'm glad it helped!

Taz  ;D

mandss

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »

Re Red Fox
I have also had strange and unexpected bleeding. Have had  the merina coil for over a year plus oestrogen orally. I had no bleeding for 6 months  as expected, then suddenly long bleeds only weeks apart. along side these I had painful breasts, and a surge in body temperature. this lasted a few months. I am now fluctuating between normal/painful breasts and these temperature surges (not flushes but days of sweating and being cold at the same time). I feel like I am not a merry go round of symptoms but bleeding appears to have ceased for the time being.