Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Severe hair shedding on Utrogestan and Estrogel  (Read 4978 times)

KittyKats

Severe hair shedding on Utrogestan and Estrogel
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:26:19 AM »

Hi,

I started HRT back in April. Currently on 1.5 pumps of Estrogel and Utrogestan vaginally alternate days continuous. I am experiencing very heavy hair shedding which has been for the last few weeks plus balding temples. If I do a minutes brushing I lose about 150 hairs. My GP is going to run a few tests for thyroid , iron etc but she thinks it is Talogen Effuvium which could triggered be the Estrogel as hair loss is a side effect.

I am thinking it's best to give up the HRT as I am disappointed with it. I originally took it for hot flushes, insomnia and palpitations but even those haven't completely settled. I would rather have menopausal symptoms than be bald quite frankly! I used to have very long, fine hair but lots of it. It's heartbreaking seeing it brushed away and depression is setting in as it's another nail in the coffin of femininity which menopause seems to steal away.

Any other ladies had this shedding experience? Any advice gratefully received!

:'(

Floo36

Re: Severe hair shedding on Utrogestan and Estrogel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 12:35:47 PM »

Could it be that you are not getting enough Estrogen either through lack of absorption or not a high enough dose?   My hair was falling out but it was because I wasn’t absorbing the gel.  Now back on the combined pill pill and it has stopped falling out but it has taken a good three months. 

KittyKats

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »

Hi Floo, that's an interesting point you make. The only thing I'd say is when my periods stopped in May 2019 I wasn't shedding much hair at all.

But I noticed within a few weeks of starting the HRT that the shedding increased although it wasn't at this outrageous level. I'm having an oestrogen level test along with other ones on Monday so hopefully it will give me a clue as to what's happening.

Did your hair return to normal once you were on the combined pill?

x

Floo36

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 04:35:16 PM »

Hi

I have only been back on it for 3 months so it’s still early days for it to grow back yet, but over the coming months it should continue to improve. 

Blood test are not always a good indicator but may show if you are absorbing at all.  When my levels of Estradiol were in the 600’s I was very unwell but others will be well on that amount, we are all so different in what we need to feel well. 

KittyKats

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:31:05 PM »

Hi Birdy - thanks for the advise. They are doing a thyroid panel test, B12, folate and ferritin.

My dad has overactive thyroid and I was wondering if that may be the issue with me as I am having to get up in the night to eat, sometimes twice, am always hungry and I have episodes of a very fast heartbeat. But my TSH was 1.2 back in March and the T4 was 16 so all normal apparently!

The weird thing is my nails are growing really fast now but it's just the hair shedding. Today was hair wash day and so much came out. It's freaking me out! I feel like jacking in the HRT but then that would be a stressor to the body too so I'll just stick to the same dose in the meantime. Thanks for your help.

KittyKats

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 05:16:14 PM »

Just to update my blood tests including thyroid, ferritin, B12 na folate came back all normal apart from a slightly low calcium level. Ostrogen level was 63. I have no idea if that is good or bad. Still don't feel my symptoms are under control. I am very worried about the hair situation so I am being referred to a dermatologist!

Floo36

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 09:48:59 AM »

63 Estrogen level is really low.  Everyone is different and I can only go on my own experience but you probably need more Estrogen if your levels are that low.

KittyKats

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 05:15:42 PM »

Hi Floo - yes it does seem very low. Considering I was 618 a few years back. I'm just so scared to increase the gel incase it makes the shedding hair worse.  :'(

I have booked a consultation with Louise Newson's clinic this week so will see what they say.