Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Reflux? Support gratefully received.  (Read 6373 times)

Lynda07

Reflux? Support gratefully received.
« on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »

Hi

I posted a few months back about post nasal drip and shortness of breath or air hunger. My Dr sent me for a chest X Ray which revealed something on my lung, I had another, then a CT scan and am relieved to say it was nothing to worry about but the stress it caused me and even my normally calm husband was unbearable at the time.

I'm still left with the PND which the Dr was treating with Beconase. But more and more I am starting to think its coming from my stomach, not nose. For about a month now, I have a drink of water first thing and notice if I lean down to empty the dishwasher or stroke the dog the water feels as though it is sticking. In the past week I've had two bad episodes of what I assume is indigestion in the middle of the night which takes a few hours to ease. Then I worry about going to bed in case it happens again, worry about eating and worry about how much I am worrying!

Last night was even worse. Out of the blue when I went to bed I could feel "stuff" rising into my throat, I had to try and burp it away and in the end realised I wouldn't sleep unless I propped my head up. I've never had this before. It lasted all night. So this morning I was even more anxious (and I'm a very anxious person) - and I'm just dreading it happening again tonight. I've done a lot of throat clearing today and think my voice is a bit hoarse too.

Does this sound like anything any of you have experienced? I know reflux, digestive problems are discussed a lot here so am probably not alone but last night really scared me.

I've a GP (telephone) appointment on 29 Sept and will keep a food diary but if I am honest I just want some reassurance I'm not alone in this. I have some Peptac which I've not felt I've needed to take before but if I have the same again tonight I'll have to consider it.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I just can't seem to cope with yet another thing to worry about health wise :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Reflux? Support gratefully received.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »

Get some 'Rennies' or 'Milk of Magnesia' ............. try not to eat too close to bed time.  That reflux can be painful I have to sleep sitting up sometimes.

Your GP may prescribe something stronger but until then ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:18:34 PM »

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may Become lax including the digestive system. 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »

Hi. I agree that it sounds like reflux. It happened to me and I was found to have s hiatus hernia after an endoscopy. I'm now on omeprazole and everything has calmed down and I can eat and drink normally.  Acid reflux at night is especially upsetting, I found, where you wake up almost choking. This is what made me consult the doctor. Before being diagnosed I found Nexium to be good. Available without prescription. Rennie's don't work so well on a acid reflux long term due to how they act on the acid level.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 05:51:36 PM »

I can feel it beginning this evening  :-\

Lynda07

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »

Thankyou for replying - I'm feeling really low about it all.

Sparkle, yes I will do that with the Peptac. I'd not thought of Milk of Magnesia either CLKD. So that's you and Taz2 with a hiatus hernia then. I'm wondering if my GP will send me for an endoscopy or maybe see how I go over the next month or so.

Thanks for the reassurance about last night too - I coudn't sleep as I kept having to swallow/burp/sit up and it was just awful. My anxiety really doesn't help either.

I appreciate your replies so much as if I'm honest I feel really alone with this - I live in the Highlands - my dream (re)location but quite isolated and a forum is a huge help to me in the absence of having many people around me to talk to xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 07:21:17 PM »

I don't have a hiatus hernia to my knowledge but control symptoms with omeprazolol [sp] at night.  Milk of Magnesia if I run out of prescription meds.. 

Lynda07

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2020, 06:27:37 PM »

One more question, do any of you sometimes feel food takes a while to go down? Not all of the time but occasionally? I’m in panic mode again  :(

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »

I think if the oesophagus is sore it might feel as though food sticks.  I have a couple of times this week swallowed food too quickly  :o ....... and 2night I have indigestion because I ate too fast  :(

Sometimes I have to take a drink through my meal.  It reminds me, about 3 years ago I couldn't eat boiled rice without a drink: it simply stuck .... so now I have a coke to hand.

CherrySG

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »

If a person gets stressed it can make it hard to swallow naturally. I've had this from time to time. Dysphagia, I think it's called.

A PPI blocker and an  endoscopy would be a good thing if it's reflux though. So many people need them. If food takes a while to go down oesophagus this can be due to scarring of the oesophagus from the acid. I had this, but it heals smooth again once the acid-blocking drugs stop this.

Good luck with it all, hope you get it sorted soon 🤞

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 08:06:49 PM »

I don't have a hiatus hernia to my knowledge but control symptoms with omeprazolol [sp] at night.  Milk of Magnesia if I run out of prescription meds..

Hiatus hernia is diagnosed by endoscopy. I didn't know I had one but knew the reflux symptoms had to be investigated to rule out oesophageal cancer. By the time it was diagnosed I had ulceration of the oesophagus but 6 months of 40mg of omeprazole healed it and now I'm on 20mg and have no need for any antacids and can eat/drink what I like. I have to take mine first thing in the morning though before any food is eaten.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2020, 07:12:00 AM »

Is yours a sliding one like mine Sparkle?

Taz x

Lynda07

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »

Thanks again ladies. I was eating chicken and pasta for tea and when I had finished, realised I could feel it slowly making it's way down, it really bothered me. Sounds like your rice experience CLKD.

I'm my own worst enemy as my health anxiety is just out of control and I'm sure the stress is doing me no favours at all.

Cherry SG, thanks for that and I'm pleased to hear it healed for you (and that it can heal).

Sparkle, I seem to be ok swallowing in general although every so often (and I've had this for years) I get a very distrurbing sensation as if my throat has frozen and forgetten how to swallow, I have no idea what that is but after 10 years it's still there but pretty rare (thankfully). I have Peptac which I know I have to try at some point if I could only get over my irrational fear of all medication. Honestly, I feel as if I am scared of everything these days :(

Thank you all again. xx

Lynda07

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »

Sparkle, I don't want you to have that feeling but feel so reassured by what you said, I've never been able to find out what it is or ever spoken to anyone who has it. Mine came on whilst on holiday years ago and appears just out of the blue so I can never prepare for it. That said, if I think about it it will occasionally happen so you're spot on with the anxiety link.

I think I'm going to have to have a lighter meal for my last meal - do as much as I can to help myself I guess x

Lynda07

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »

It is Sparkle - it can feel quite lonely otherwise can't it. It's also reassuring for me to hear that your ENT consultant said that - I've had anxiety (and OCD) from being a child. Even in my early 20's I had health anxiety. I don't know why, it is just how I have always been. I do listen to some of the Calm stories and also - for me - I discovered ASMR - sounds  that soothe me. (Lots of YouTube). My breathing is the same as yours too. It's so difficult isn't it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4