Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Alergic reaction / inflammatory response to bug bites  (Read 2963 times)

shrosphirelass

Alergic reaction / inflammatory response to bug bites
« on: August 28, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »

When I get bitten I often have a allergic reaction around the bite site. Sometimes this is much more severe. Last week I was bitten on my foot and was in agony for 5 days and had to stay up at night with an ice pack to help reduce the swelling and ease the pain. I was prescribed antibiotics in case of infection but did not take them as it did clear up on its own. This week I was agian bitten on the same foot! with similar effects. Has anyone any advice re any preventative action or things to use once bitten? I already take a one a day antihistamine  but I'm not sure if this does anything.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Alergic reaction / inflammatory response to bug bites
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 06:29:07 PM »

DEET - get thyself off to a walking shop and buy something that can be put onto clothing: round hems of jeans, cuffs, neck lines of shirts.  Buy yourself some Avon 'oh so soft' which works and apparently eating garlic can fend off some beasties. 

Also always have anti-histamine to hand 2 take if the area swells.  It won't stop gnats etc. attacking the skin.  Recently I have been unaware of being bitten until 3-4 days after, then the itching began.  I would have a chat with your local Pharmacist and explain. 

My Mum's body used to swell horridly every time. 

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 07:06:05 PM »

When I get bitten I often have a allergic reaction around the bite site. Sometimes this is much more severe. Last week I was bitten on my foot and was in agony for 5 days and had to stay up at night with an ice pack to help reduce the swelling and ease the pain. I was prescribed antibiotics in case of infection but did not take them as it did clear up on its own. This week I was agian bitten on the same foot! with similar effects. Has anyone any advice re any preventative action or things to use once bitten? I already take a one a day antihistamine  but I'm not sure if this does anything.

You need hydrocortisone 1% cream, to put on the bites.  Available in any chemist.

As for avoiding getting bitten, I've been trying for years, but have found nothing that works 100% 

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 03:39:56 PM »

Thanks both. I have been using a steroid cream but doesn't make any difference. Ice is the only thing that gives relief. I'm not sure about using DEET but will definetly check out the Avon oh so soft. I eat lots of garlic but doesn't put them off. My husband has lots of bites but none of his swell up, so are only a minor irritation. I wonder why some people are susceptible to an extreme reaction.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 03:46:09 PM »

DEET in short bursts should keep bugs away.  Put on the hems, cuffs, neck line etc. and if necessary on the skin. 

I don't think anyone knows why some react and others don't, histamine release? 

How is it today?

Jane50

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »

I get bitten a lot too and omg the itching!! The best thing I've found is After Bite. Ammonia based and stings a bit but does the job.

I had a friend who swore by tiger balm after she had reaction to a bite.

I agree, The Avon oh so soft works well as a repellent and doesn't have strong chemical smell.

X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 04:15:18 PM »

Does Vicks Vapor Rub repel mosquitoes? : Why it works: Vicks VapoRub contains cedar leaf oil, which is a natural insect repellant. If it's too late to prevent mosquito bites, rubbing VapoRub on the bumps will also relieve your itching.

I have used TCP cream successfully as an after bite.  The idea is to apply B4 leaving the house/car/camper ......... and reapply often in the day if it rains or after swimming. 

Have you seen the chemical formulae for DEET  ;D

What repels bugs naturally?

Lemongrass, citrus, peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree, citronella, catnip, and lavender oils all possess properties that repel bugs. The oils can be used individually or combined to make a simple anti-bug potion.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 04:25:25 PM by CLKD »

Sparrow

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »

Thanks both. I have been using a steroid cream but doesn't make any difference. Ice is the only thing that gives relief. I'm not sure about using DEET but will definetly check out the Avon oh so soft. I eat lots of garlic but doesn't put them off. My husband has lots of bites but none of his swell up, so are only a minor irritation. I wonder why some people are susceptible to an extreme reaction.

Yes, some people definitely more prone. 

Blood type O in particular.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/why-mosquitoes-bite-blood-type_l_5d67dfb5e4b01fcc69104b32?guccounter=1&
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 04:54:03 PM by Shadyglade »

shrosphirelass

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »

Shadyglade I'm O negative! I tried after bite but also had little effect. Will look into the tiger balm. The swelling's gone down a lot now so just hoping that's it for bugs for a while, or at least reacting to them.

Sparrow

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 06:03:09 PM »

Ditto, I'm O negative too.  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 09:22:43 AM »

I can't remember what blood group I might be ......

Marmite is supposedly good, eaten daily. 

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »

Hello ladies.

My husband is prone to bites (not from me lol) and he uses an anti mosquito spray.

Just to be awkward I am O negative and I'm never bitten but my husband is A positive and always is!

Take care ladies.

K.

Harmony

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 10:43:44 AM »

I haven't tried it myself, I always forget to buy some for the summer, but apparently vitamin b1 (thiamin)  is good for repelling biting insects. Obviously you can Google to find out the effective dosage. You'd probably need to give it a few weeks to build up in your system before it works. It's cheap too. I buy my supplements from Nature's Best - great quality, customer service, and guaranteed to be pure. Some supplements don't even dissolve, and pass straight through!