Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Adenomyosis and bulky uterus  (Read 4135 times)

Rubysnanny

• First Flush
Adenomyosis and bulky uterus
« on: August 25, 2020, 04:05:51 PM »

Hi
I’m 53 and not in hrt. I take Noriday mini pill for contraception. The last few years I have had only two bleeds so I thought well into peri menopause. the last bleed was recently 8 weeks long and very heavy. I have had swabs taken and yesterday had ultrasound scan and internal scan, the result was Adenomyosis and bulky uterus. ;)
Does anyone have any experience of this. I’m being referred to gynae. What can I expect

I have high anxiety anyway,  hot flushes, and extreme tiredness.  Also have been having the weirdest dreams.
The doctor prescribed anti depressants recently but I’ve not started any.
Thank you

Salad

Re: Adenomyosis and bulky uterus
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 04:30:22 PM »

Hi  :)
My understanding is that Adenomyosis improves with the menopause as it’s influenced by hormones, but that would probably mean not using HRT.
My Adenomyosis wasn’t diagnosed until after my hysterectomy, which I had for prolonged heavy bleeding and continual pain. I was also told it was the only treatment that would have worked for me.

I was thrilled to have the hysterectomy, even more so as Menopause has been truly horrendous and HRT is essential for my quality of life.

Jane50

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 05:36:22 PM »

Hi Rubysnanny,
I've also been diagnosed with adenomyosis which would explain heavy painful bleeds. I'm 51 and on HRT. I'm waiting for appt with gynae also. I'm on 4 pumps oestrogen and 200mg utrogestan but hot flushes, night sweats, anxiety and insomnia are back. I also have very weird dreams. I'm waiting to find out what my options are re HRT and whether hysterectomy will be a way out of this ongoing nightmare. Stuck in no man's land at mo...

Rubysnanny

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

It helps to know that I’m not alone. It has been a very worrying week. The internal scan was quite uncomfortable and I feel bruised today.
The bleeding has stopped now so I will be monitoring how long until the next one.
Jane50 how long have you waited for your gynae appointment. I have been told if I haven’t heard in two weeks to call.i am surprised that I haven’t had any blood tests taken to check for low iron etc
The swab tests taken last week apparently were mislabelled so I’ve been asked to go back. Great 😥

Jane50

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »

My ultrasound was on Aug 3rd. I rang up 2 weeks later and it still hadn't been reported on... I'm due a gynae consultation in the next couple of weeks anyway as 3 month follow up from last one, but no appt date through yet... Everything takes so long doesn't it... I agree it's a comfort to have contact with someone in similar position.

Rubysnanny

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »

Hi Salad
Can I ask how hrt has helped you?

Thank you

Salad

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 10:05:21 AM »

Hi Salad
Can I ask how hrt has helped you?

Thank you

Of course- long story   :)
I had so many symptoms- not all Menopause related, but I couldn’t work and felt ill ::)
Sleep problems, extreme fatigue, dizziness, brain fog, headaches, hair shedding, joint/tendon pain, enlarged glands, flu like feeling, bleeding gums, sweating, flat mood, palpitations and increased allergic responses.

I was seen at the Chelsea and Westminster Menopause Clinic who found a Vitamin D Deficiency and also prescribed high dose Oestrogen.

It eventually left 3 symptoms - Sleep issues, joint/tendon pain and extreme fatigue which then led to a diagnosis of an autoimmune disease.

HRT gives me quality of life  :D

Jane50

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »

Hi Rubysnanny,
Hope you're doing OK.
Just to let you know my scan report came finally and gynae has recommended getting the Mirena coil fitted to hopefully reduce the bleeding each month from the adenomyosis. Yet another thing to throw into the melting pot...

Salad

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 02:51:18 PM »

Hi Rubysnanny,
Hope you're doing OK.
Just to let you know my scan report came finally and gynae has recommended getting the Mirena coil fitted to hopefully reduce the bleeding each month from the adenomyosis. Yet another thing to throw into the melting pot...

The Mirena coil works really well for some people  - hope it’s a success for you   :foryou:
I was also told it’s the first line treatment you have to try on the path to qualifying for a hysterectomy. My Mirena lasted 6 days as it made my pain worse and I ended up hospitalised - the good thing was I then got my hysterectomy  ;D

Jane50

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 04:41:59 PM »

Hi Salad,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really do not fancy the Mirena but feel a bit backed into a corner. The gynae did say it can sometimes make it worse when he suggested it...  :o

Very fed up at mo. Sorry for moaning! Heavy bleed again this cycle despite increased progesterone which I think has messed everything up more. Have increased oestrogen to no avail and that's probably feeding the adenomyosis nicely.....

Yes please, someone just take the whole damn lot away!! I have three wonderful children so it's done its job.

Salad

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »

It’s so frustrating when you’re going through it, that’s for sure.

It seems like the Consultants hands are tied and they have to follow protocol.

Once the Mirena ‘failed’ I was offered the next step, which was ablation. I’d been off work 5 months by then and totally incapacitated with the pain and bleeding. Two hospitalisations followed by a laparoscopy and a colonoscopy. I said I’d only agree to the ablation if he could guarantee it would ‘cure’ my pain/bleeding. He said he couldn’t, so I pleaded for the hysterectomy so I could get my life back together.
I had the TAH 3 months later.
Not an easy operation, but I felt so good afterwards...then menopause hit two years later  ;D
Having the Adenomyosis diagnosed now might help your case, as ablation is for the lining and won’t help your Adenomyosis pain, as it’s in the uterine walls. Hope you get the help you need x

Jane50

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 08:22:51 PM »

Thank you, good to talk with someone who understands. And has come out the other side. Thanks for sharing your experience x

Rubysnanny

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »

Update for you

I was referred for hysteroscopy and biopsy which took place last month. I have just had the results of the biopsy all clear thank god.
No more bleeding since.

The worst thing for me is the anxiety - it’s through the roof and I really do not want to take anti depressants But I feel as though I don’t have much choice