Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone had a wisdom tooth removed over 50  (Read 3174 times)

getting_old

Anyone had a wisdom tooth removed over 50
« on: August 13, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »

I've been getting a lot of pain from one of my wisdom teeth over the last few weeks and the dentist has suggested removing it. I actually thought they'd all been removed when I was in my 20s but it appears that only one was actually removed at that time.
Doctor Google is saying that it's a much more complicated and painful process when you're older, whilst the dentist is very blase about the whole thing, so wondering if anyone has actual experience please.

Jane50

Re: Anyone had a wisdom tooth removed over 50
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »

Hi,
I had one removed when I was 40. Literally on my 40th birthday. I thought, well I'm 40, how much worse can it get?! I had it done with local anaesthetic and it was super quick. There was a bit of bleeding after and obviously very numb but no other problems. It had been plaguing me on and off since my 20s so massive relief to finally summons the courage to remove the darn thing. I still have the other 3... but they are behaving currently. I guess your dentist would know more than your doctor? Don't know if that helps at all, I hope you get it sorted as toothache is horrible x

Jane50

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 10:05:22 PM »

Just realised it was Doctor Google you were referring to 🤣

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:44 AM »

Hello ladies.

I read somewhere that wisdom teeth are easy to remove because their roots are shorter and weaker than other teeth.

Hope this helps ladies.

Take care.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »

I have had 3 removed, when I was 18.

One was an upper tooth, that had plenty of room but have come through at an angle.  That was easy.

The other two were compacted lower jaw wisdoms. They were removed under local at the hospital.  Caused a bit of a stir as on removal they were discovered to be double rooted.  Very rare apparently.  Had to have stitches for those and had a lot of pain and swelling.  However, if your one is not compacted it shouldn't be anymore of a problem than an ordinary tooth. 

star35

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 05:05:08 PM »

Hi I had one removed when I was 56 and was dreading it because I didn't know what to expect. However it was all over in seconds and no pain. I didn't even realise it was out I had to ask what was he waiting for and much to my surprise he said it was all done.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 07:48:10 PM »

If the dentist has taken a recent X-ray and is OK with doing it in the surgery ....... mine caused sore throats as I had a low-grade infection.  I was however in my late 20s, in Hospital.  [long story short  :-X ]

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 08:43:53 AM »

I am 53 and had an impacted top wisdom tooth removed at the dentist beginning of this year.  Came out ok and Really was no problem, is yours top or bottom ? X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »

Hi
I had one of mine removed when I was in my 40s.
I was terrified. People had told me it's horrendous having wisdom teeth out! 🙀
It was a doodle. It came out in two separate pieces. I couldn't believe how easy it was.
I've still got one left, on the right side, and when that comes out, I won't be worried at all.
I have a real phobia about the dentist anyway, so you can imagine the anxiety I suffered sitting there waiting for it to come out! But I was pleasantly surprised!
xx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »

A doodle ............. better than a tattoo  ?  ;)

As long as you have someone to drive you there and back, you'll be fine!

getting_old

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 03:44:10 PM »

Thanks Ladies.
It's a top wisdom tooth and I have a total terror of dentists after the awful one my mother insisted I go to when I was young - zero pain relief  :'(
I literally sit in the chair making myself stay when all I want to do is run out the door

Sparrow

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2020, 03:58:07 PM »

My youngest son used to be like that.

His dentist gave him some sedation, when he had a root canal.

Ask.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »

Make an appt. to speak with the dentist  B4 agreeing to any treatment?  That's what I did when we had to register yet again, we met the Dentist first to see if we liked each other !  ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »

Thanks Ladies.
It's a top wisdom tooth and I have a total terror of dentists after the awful one my mother insisted I go to when I was young - zero pain relief  :'(
I literally sit in the chair making myself stay when all I want to do is run out the door

Ok so they told me top wisdom teeth roots aren’t hooked like the bottom ones so are easier to remove.  The dentist would refer you to a hospital if they thought for one minute it’d be difficult.  Can you get some diazepam prescribed? X

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »

Getting old. = I'm exactly the same as you, always had a fear, ever since my mom took me to the dental hospital in town, I kicked and wriggled, and shouted, but they must've won because I remember walking to the bus stop with blood down my coat. 🙀😳
Think I must've been about 6/7 , can't remember properly.

But I promise, my wisdom tooth ( top one) was easy.
I won't mention my root canal though, now that was horrendous! 😢  ( and still lost the tooth at the end) 😠😡
Just keep saying, I can do this! 😊. xx
Pages: [1] 2