Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: STATINS Atorvastatin  (Read 4309 times)

annieb

STATINS Atorvastatin
« on: August 08, 2020, 11:39:04 AM »

I've been prescribed Statins as my Cholesterol has gradually gone up over the last few years. Had a test January and it was 8.1 Tried my best over the past 6 months to improve diet (though according to the dietician my diet was pretty good anyway) and it has remained at 8.1
Consultant thinks it's probably genetic.  She didn't press me to take them as my overall health , weight etc are fine but when my GP saw the second lot of results she contacted me as well  so I thought best to give it a go.  8.1 is way higher than it should be
So I have been given Atorvastatin 20mg.  Took the first one last night with my evening meal.  Had the best night's sleep in ages (but then it was Friday so was total exhausted ).  However had real trouble getting up this morning and felt totally spaced out for 2 or 3 hours. 

Consultant did warn that there may be some side-effect but they will wear off after a while but seems a bit quick to be getting side-effects after only one dose so wondered if anyone else has experience with this Statin

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: STATINS Atorvastatin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »

I haven't had any side effects, nor has DH.  My GP insisted that I took it, DH tried the diet ....... some complain of muscle aches initially.  We haven't had any of these.

You are probably hinging on your 'hung over' feeling to the drug but mayB it's due to over all tiredness.  When I sleep too long I feel 'hung over'.

Sparrow

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 01:19:45 PM »

Hi annieb,

I will PM you some links.

Shadyglade

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 01:39:31 PM »

It is what it is, good for those who don't get side effects.  Do read Dr James le Fanu, Monday Telegraph, he has threads about various drugs ;-)

Julia Dizzy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 02:34:43 PM »

Hi annieb, I was put on atorvastatin 40mg about 6 years ago initially, as my cholesterol was 7.8 at age 57. I saw an endocrinologist after being referred by my GP.
But I got bad pains in the bottom half of my legs after taking them for 4 weeks so I stopped them and was reluctant to take any more with all the hoohah about statins!
However, she later suggested Pravastatin at 10mg, as this was a lower dose and a better tolerated one for some people.

I have been taking this dose for years now, still get muscle aches but not the same as when I first started and that maybe just because I'm getting older and post menopause!!
This was just my situation, my cholesterol is now around 5.9, although not been tested for a while. Does HRT help lower it does anyone know? I have been on gel and utrogestan for almost a year now.
Hope you get on ok with them and no side effects. x

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 04:00:53 PM »

Hello ladies

A friend of mine was diagnosed with Familial Hypercholesterolemia and needs to take statins as  it cannot be controlled by diet alone. Other family members were also tested.

Annieb - If your consultant thinks your high cholesterol is genetic you and your family should be offered testing to be sure.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.

annieb

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 04:08:11 PM »

yes CKLD - maybe correct - totally exhausted at the moment and haven't been sleeping very well so maybe the shock of sleeping through the night caused the hangover feeling
Thanks Shadyglade - that's kind of you .  I'll have a read through those
hi Julia - consultant did say that one side effect is muscle ache - hope not for me as already have aches in the bottom of one of my legs which GP has not managed to get to the bottom of.  Having said that I did do my own research on that one and thought pos lack of potassium Hubby had issues with potassium caused by medication he was on so he suggested  having a banana every day and that does seem to have sorted it out mostly. 
My mother is on Simvastin 20mg and sister-in-law  60mg and both say they are OK so fingers crossed tomorrow I'll wake up normally
I hate taking any sort of medication
Will give it a few weeks and let you know how I get on.  :)
PS to Kathleen - yes Mum is 7.6 (she's 90) - am trying to get my brother to get tested too just to be on the safe side as he is also overweight

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »

There's your answer - you hate taking medication.  It probably played on your mind in the night so you woke, expecting problems.  I am the same  ::) so I never read the leaflet with the box!

I often recommend a daily banana for those with aching legs, it cured my restless leg syndrome.  Now at night if my legs draw I take 2 nurofen.

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 08:01:49 PM »

Hello again ladies.

Annieb - It is  a good idea to be tested before any damage is done to the heart or arteries. 

My friend appeared to be fit and well, had a healthy diet and was slim. It was only after  a heart attack at 51 that he was diagnosed with Familial Hypercholesterolemia. He has five children and two were found to have the gene and now take statins.

Take care everyone.

K.

annieb

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 07:20:44 AM »

UPDATE
Took Atrovastatin for 2 weeks - after the initially weird feeling I was OK for 2 or 3 days then started to feeling a bit queasy.  Not sick but just a underlying feeling - then by the end of the week I had stinging pains in both my arms.  Often get this in my left arm as posture when sitting at my desk is not always good.  Then started stinging in my left leg .  Consultant has said I may get aches and pains but when the stinging started in my right leg too I was a bit concerned.  By the end of the second week I was feeling really sick. Rang the consultant to tell her I was concerned and was stopping taking the meds.  Her secretary said she was on leave for the next few days but would pass on the message and consultant would discuss with my GP a possible change of type of statin
Waiting to hear from them at the moment.   Have had some issues with meds before (was prescribed Prozac years ago and it knocked me out (literally) within hours but when prescription was changed to an old-fashioned anti-depressant I was just fine and it worked well)   so maybe just need to try a different one.   

Kathleen

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 09:23:43 AM »

Hello again annieb

Thank you for updating the forum and I'm sorry to learn that you are having problems with your Statins.

I wonder if it is worth doing some more research on your diet? If you can happily reduce the amount of cholesterol containing foods that you eat, eggs for example, you may only need a low dose Statin and have fewer side effects. My friend  found that giving up eggs and butter did help to lower his cholesterol levels even though his condition is basically genetic.

Hope this helps in some way and take care.

K.

annieb

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »

Hi Kathleen
Have had a serious look at what I am eating and a long discussion with the Hospital dietician.  She was very good and we went through everything I ate in detail.  Apart from increasing the amount of vegetables slightly she couldn't find anything out of order.  My weight, general health and BMI are all within the acceptable ranges so the conclusion was that it was most likely genetic .  Interesting about the eggs and butter.  I can understand the butter as that was a definite no no on the list but eggs seemed to be OK.  Suppose different things work for different folks. It's all very frustrating

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 12:27:12 PM »

Hello again annieb.

My friend was told to reduce eggs because they contain a lot of cholesterol.

I am no expert obviously and it seems you are being well cared for but I thought I would mention the above in case it helps you.

Wishing you well.

K.

Sparrow

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »

Eggs do contain a lot of cholesterol but that is not added to the cholesterol level in the human body.

The levels come from the liver (sorry don't know the process).. The advice to limit egg consumption was changed some time ago.

Check out the The British Heart Foundation website, they have a whole section on eggs.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:57:34 PM by Shadyglade »

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »

Eggs do contain a lot of cholesterol but that is not added to the cholesterol level in the human body.

The levels come from the liver (sorry don't know the process).. The advice to limit egg consumption was changed some time ago.

Check out the The British Heart Foundation website, they have a whole section on eggs.
   I had a GP conversation yesterday. My cholesterol level is about to be tested again following tests showing that my kidney function has reduced and he thinks the cholesterol may be affecting it. My last test showed 6.7 or 6.8 but other factors were ok so I wasn't pushed to take statins. I have looked at the side effects and really don't want them, particularly muscle aches/pains as I think it would reduce my exercise/fitness. I am trying to increase these at the moment because I have put on weight over lockdown. I told the doctor that my priority was to do more exercise and lose a few pounds.
The GP objected to me eating cheese not eggs but cheese is one of my favourites. Most of the other foods mentioned like red meat/processed foods aren't a problem. Eggs weren't mentioned at all.

Yesterday though  a colleague (similar age to me) said that she had been on a low cost statin for 8 years without any side effects at all.
Pages: [1] 2