Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: In need of dental treatment  (Read 3514 times)

clio

In need of dental treatment
« on: August 05, 2020, 07:52:25 AM »

I have abscess and need of root filling however my dentist said gov won't allow such treatment at moment due to covid. I'm on painkillers and antibiotics. Has anyone heard when gov will allow dentist to commence treatments I'm in the UK. I'm pretty desperate. Cljo

Joaniepat

Re: In need of dental treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »

My dentist is open and I attended a hygienist appointment a week ago. When did you last enquire?
JP x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 08:28:35 AM »

Most dentists are now open and carrying out all procedures. Mine re-opened about a month ago I believe. This info might be useful https://www.dentalhealth.org/pages/faqs/category/coronavirus

Taz x

clio

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:00:42 AM »

I went on Monday  as my face swelled up over the weekend and was in so much pain, dentist said I had abscess put me on antibiotics and told me to alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol throughout the day for pain. He explained what treatment was required but they are not allowed to drill at the moment. I'm on a waiting list for when they can commence treatment. I've had a dodgy tooth for a while,  now it needs attention and they can't do it.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »

Can you ask at another dentist? Mine is carrying out all treatments following the latest government advice? If you scroll down to Key Principles you will see that dentists are allowed to carry out AGP (aerosol generating procedures which covers drilling) as long as they have the appropriate PPE. Maybe your dentist hasn't bought in the full protection necessary? https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2020/06/C0575-dental-transition-to-recovery-SOP-4June.pdf

If you have an abscess though they wont be able to drill until the infection has cleared as far as I know. I hope you get your appointment soon.

Taz x

Yorkshire Girl

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »

Clio if your face has swollen up you are entitled to treatment, that was the only stipulation to be able to see a dentist during the lockdown and since! If they really won't treat you, find another dentist. Good luck

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 04:29:42 PM »

Hello clio

My husband is currently having dental treatment which includes a root canal filling and a crown. He has had two appointments so far and the last will be later this month. Everything is done safely with the staff wearing full PPE and there is thorough cleaning between patients.

Many years ago I had something similar when one side of my face became swollen but there was no pain. The abscess was drained in the dental surgery but I was referred to hospital for an extraction.

I suggest you talk to your dentist again and if they can't treat you perhaps they can suggest another practice or you may want to speak to the dental department of your local hospital or even call the NHS helpline for advice

Take care and I hope you feel better soon as a tooth abscess can make you feel  awful.

K.

clio

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2020, 05:26:08 PM »

The way it sounded to me was they couldn't do it cos government has blocked  all drilling treatment so I'm quite shocked that some dentist are carrying out essential treatments so why can't my dentist do it, I'm baffled. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2020, 06:20:08 PM »

They ae not up to date!  If the worst happens, patients have been sent to specific clinics for extractions.   You shouldn't however have any treatment until the course of ABs has finished as blood poisoning can spread through the body  :o.  Take pain relief as recommended and hopefully ABs will begin to work by mid-day tomorrow.

Ring the Surgery again and ask or look on their web-site about their protocols.  My particular Surgery are one of the dental hubs ...... which should be on your local Council website.

:foryou:

Also, use cloves on a pad of tissue on the area - it draws any liquid from the socket area and really helps.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »

The way it sounded to me was they couldn't do it cos government has blocked  all drilling treatment so I'm quite shocked that some dentist are carrying out essential treatments so why can't my dentist do it, I'm baffled.

It is up to the dentist to put in place all of the safety regulations. The rules changed from the 4th June. Up till then no drilling was allowed as it releases aerosol particles which can transmit Covid-19.  My dentist has had to pay out quite a bit for PPE, sanitisers, screens etc. so maybe yours has decided that they can't keep patients safe? This should have been explained to you at the time though. I'm still waiting for an appointment for mine as they are so full up. I lost two crowns during lock down and now the underneath teeth have worn away so that will be extractions then I'm sure.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2020, 06:32:18 PM »

Taz that is dreadful lack of care, what was wrong with temporary stick on crowns ? though the 2 that DH had got chewed off within hours  ::)

suzysunday

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2020, 07:09:27 PM »

Yes my dentist doing drilling with appropriate ppe.  Hope you get some help x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2020, 07:15:55 AM »

How is the pain and swelling?

clio

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 06:06:22 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. The swelling has started to go down and the pain alot better. I spoke to my dentist yesterday and told him although pain had reduced alot and swelling started to go down I do still have alot of discomfort in the problem tooth right up through my gum and nose. I can't blow my nose it hurts too much. He asked me a few questions and has given me another course of antibiotics to make sure infection is cleared. I asked Bout just having tooth out but he's reluctant as it's my front tooth and he is confident it will be OK once I have the treatment, he said I'm not to worry, I'm on the list and they will contact me with sn appointment for the treatment as soon as they can drill. So that's my update, I have a really bad phobia to the dentist so reluctant to go elsewhere as he's so good with Me. I just want it over and done with. Clio

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »

Why aren't they up to date with helping patients?   Many Surgeries are drilling and he should have suggested that you go to a hub.  Do you pay for treatment, not that I'm cynical ..........
Pages: [1] 2 3