Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In need of dental treatment  (Read 3667 times)

Justjules

Re: In need of dental treatment
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »

Yep seems all the private dentists can drill but not the NHS ones!!  Two days before lockdown my app to fit my new crown which is 2nd from front was cancelled. Now it’s really getting me down but nah, no chance...I’m NHS 🤬

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 06:37:58 PM »

Same surgery though? 

clio

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 08:42:22 PM »

Yes I pay for treatment, I'm still baffled as a few of you said there dentist is drilling but I can't have my treatment plus I've googled and and all I have found is no drilling...... I'm at a loss but like I said my dentist is so good with me I don't really want to go elsewhere. 

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:11 PM »

Guidelines altered a few weeks ago .............  :-\

How is it today?

Taz2

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 10:07:15 PM »

It changed on the 4th of June but it depends on whether your dentist wants to pay for the PPE etc maybe?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 07:37:48 AM »

I think they have to gown up for all patients? 

suzysunday

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 09:16:12 AM »

My dentist said they are charging private patients for whatever  PPE is needed , but not NHS.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »

Our Surgery is charging towards the costs of PPE.

C.C.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 12:14:32 PM »

At my last dental appointment (3 weeks ago) I was told that they would not be doing any treatment that involved generation of water droplets in the air. That meant not using the cavitron (electric descaler) and the polisher, but they would do drilling for cavities.  The hygenist manually scaled my teeth,  flossed and brushed the gums and my dentist did her exam. Thankfully no cavities.  Also before any treatment, they ask patients to rinse with a hydrogen peroxide solution for 30 seconds to kill any bad bugs. 
Everyone in the office had to gear up with PPE and patients had to wear a mask before and after treatment.
 We have dental coverage under my dh's work benefits, so I'm unsure if the dentist is charging extra for the PPE and all the air filtration measures she had installed.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »

Tnx C.C. ...... hydrogen peroxide - didnt' we use that in the 1950s/60s to bleach hair  :o  ;D

C.C.

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »

;D ;D  That's what I thought when the hygenist handed me the cup.  It's a very dilute solution that has a bad aftertaste. :P

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »

I don't do bad tasting stuff ! 

clio

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 08:46:19 AM »

Just an update, after having bad side effects with second lot of antibiotics which were different from the first lot, I phoned dentist who told me they had just been given go ahead for treatment involving drilling, I was priority so was booked in couple of days later.  I had the treatment and was told it would take time to settle down. I still cannot bite but hoping in a couple of weeks it will be OK. I was petrified but glad it's done with. Fingers crossed it will settled down soon. Thanks for all the replies. X Clio

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »

Tnx for the update.

I can understand Dentists not charging for NHS PPE as that should be provided by the Health Authority.  However, my sister ordered some from her Welsh HA in November: it arrived in May - 1 set for each member of staff (15)  :-\

Jeepers

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2020, 11:43:19 AM »

hi,

the dentists not only have to buy the PPE, but they have to have someone come round and assess the fitting. They put some sort of vapour in the mask when the dentist is wearing it, and look to see if it leaks, they only get signed off for it if it doesn't.

Also, dentists are only allowed to charge their NHS patients according to the NHS guidelines.  It works like this, the dentists get a lump sum payment for the NHS patients on their books.  This is in advance.  They then have a quota of work to fulfil, otherwise they get money clawed back.  this year may be different, and no clawback will happen, so there is no incentive for some dentists to see the NHS people, especially given that they cant recoup PPE and other extra expenses, and they've already been paid. Not saying all dentists are like this.

My OHs friend is a single handed dentist, and has had lots of  people ringing him to ask for appointments, which he cannot fit in as well as his own patients (mix of NHS and private).  These patients are coming from a big "corporate" who are just telling their patients to ring 111.  Ironically, NHS rang friend to berate him for turning patients away, and he politely pointed out that he was not, but he had to prioritise his own patients.  NHS are just going for the little guy, as they are scared to pull up the big corporates in case they drop all the NHS patients.

Same old story eh? 

Jeepers xx
Pages: 1 [2] 3