Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Am I being unreasonable about this wait for a test result?  (Read 1600 times)

Katejo

Am I being unreasonable about this wait for a test result?
« on: July 31, 2020, 03:14:03 PM »

2-3 weeks ago I had a routine blood test and the GP wasn't happy with part of the result so asked me to repeat it as a check. I did this on wednesday morning and was a bit nervous about getting a better result. I got back from a mini trip away yesterday and found a message asking me to ring the practice to book a GP call back. I did so today and, to my utter surprise, I was told that I couldn't have any GP call back until Mon 24th August!! They won't tell me anything about the result until then.  >:(

In normal (non covid) circumstances, I would assume that this meant nothing too much to worry about and the result is probably ok. However, as things are now, I just don't know what is normal anymore.

If they hadn't messaged me yesterday asking me to ring, I would have assumed that the result was ok and wouldn't have worried about it but now I don't know what  to think.

NB. I do have the GPApp but my practice doesn't give us  any test results this way.

jaypo

Re: Am I being unreasonable about this wait for a test result?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 03:45:39 PM »

It's your absolute right,to find out results sooner but I'm guessing it may not be anything too much to worry about if this is the date they have given you but me personally would be phoning them again to find something/anything out

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 04:07:39 PM »

Hello Katejo.

Is it possible to phone reception and ask them to print out your results and post them to you? Or perhaps you could  arrange to collect them? Apologies if this is a silly suggestion.

It may be that the lab has identified an unusual result but your GP has looked at it and realised  that there isn't a problem so there is no urgency to contact you. This happened to me on one of my blood test results and when I mentioned it to my doctor he said that although the number was out of range the results were not a problem and no treatment was required.

Hope this helps in some way and take care.

K.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 04:10:15 PM »

It's your absolute right,to find out results sooner but I'm guessing it may not be anything too much to worry about if this is the date they have given you but me personally would be phoning them again to find something/anything out
  I have already tried again with an online request but the reply again just said no.
I can waste their time by ringing next week or the week after to see if an earlier slot is available but that is it.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »

Firstly try not to worry. Anything that is borderline they have to follow up and some practices also ring to discuss results even if within the usual range, nd this may be why you have to wait for so long. However, it is unreasonable not to tell you what your results are, it is your data. I would ring back ask to speak to the person who deals with complaints and say you are not happy. I am not usually one to complain, far too anxious for that, but my daughter was complaints liasion for a group of GP practices and now for the hospital trust. She advises that complaining is very effective and after telling her my experience of my treatment re hysteroscopy she put in a complaint on my behalf (which I was very reluctant about) However the result is that I have now been offered options re my biopsy / hysteroscopy that I was not at inial appoitment.

Good luck and don't be fobbed off.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 04:43:52 PM »

It's so hard not to worry but the usual reception answer is,we can't give results as we don't understand them but I know they SHOULD give them to you,whether they understand them or not,it really is unacceptable to wait that long  >:(

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »

Hello Katejo.

Is it possible to phone reception and ask them to print out your results and post them to you? Or perhaps you could  arrange to collect them? Apologies if this is a silly suggestion.

It may be that the lab has identified an unusual result but your GP has looked at it and realised  that there isn't a problem so there is no urgency to contact you. This happened to me on one of my blood test results and when I mentioned it to my doctor he said that although the number was out of range the results were not a problem and no treatment was required.

Hope this helps in some way and take care.

K.
  Hi Kathleen (and others)

Thanks for the suggestions. When I rang this morning, the receptionist put me on hold for a short time while speaking to a doctor and then came back and said that I didn't need to speak to the GP for 3 weeks. Hopefully that means it is ok.

It's no good asking again without making an official complaint. They won't send it out and I can't collect because the  building is closed to patients unless we are invited. Even to collect a blood test form we have to queue at an outside window at a set time.

Are most practices like this now? I really dislike phone appointments for several reasons. No body language/visual expression and I don't even know who I am talking to.

I won't kick up a fuss now but I will make my view known to the GP when I actually get the result. Mine was a kidney function check and my eGFR was a bit lower than usual 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it is back to the  normal range.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »

It's a month!  But apparently the Health Service is open for business.  That of course includes a Bank Holiday?!?

I would be knocking on their door!  It is unethical to advise a patient to ring and then tell the person that they can't have a response for a month regardless of whether there is a problem/not.

Could you contact your Practice Manager ?  This really isn't on ........... most surgeries are not involved with C-19 anyway. 

Penguin99

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:15:58 PM »

Do you have a triage nurse? I spoke with my doc one Saturday morning and she said she would do prescription for 4 items, when I contacted the pharmacy only 3 had been done, I called the surgery on the Monday morning & the triage nurse ( who can prescribe meds) did my prescription that was missed, even though the doctor hadn't put it on my notes. It's just a thought. Like you, I would be wanting to know and I would tell them it's unacceptable to be expected to wait that long. Hope you can get it sorted sooner xx