Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ear trouble  (Read 1943 times)

suzysunday

Ear trouble
« on: August 02, 2020, 02:55:57 PM »

It's me scaring myself and panicking again.  I had ear wax that was driving me mad and had micro suction for it last Wednesday.  My hearing is ok but got a bit of buzzing a couple of days later.  Also my other ear had no wax but gave me trouble for ages, intermittent pain.  Took 5 day antibiotics that did no good then got antibiotic ear drops off gp, otomize.  Took for 5 days then stopped as now that ear is ringing and frightened I've got tinnitus.   I have health anxiety and making myself exhausted with worry.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Ear trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 03:03:18 PM »

Tinnitus is common as we age - oestrogen levels drop which means that the eustachian tube may narrow.  Mine whistle and ring a lot, sometimes both at the same time but in different keys  :(

It is annoying but generally not dangerous.

suzysunday

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:05:26 PM »

But it started after the micro suction and the ear drops.  I never had it before and don't like the thought it occurred because of these things.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:06:54 PM »

Were the ear drops recommended ....... it may well settle once the ear begins to build up a layer of protective wax.  Mine is worse when laying on my ears at night or if the room is quiet - like now, TV sound off, ears buzzing  >:(.

Do you get a follow up appt.?

suzysunday

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »

Yes drops prescribed by gp. There was no wax problem with this ear, and no follow up appointment.  I had a problem with this ear for ages and thought I should get it sorted but wish I hadn't.  The other ear had wax and thought micro suction would help, it cleared the wax but that's buzzing now, started a couple of days after.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »

There are a lot of tiny nerves in the surrounding area .  Hopefully it will settle as the wax builds up again.  Also if there have been ear drops in the canal it will make a small amount of difference to the new build up.  It's a nuisance ain't it!

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »

It is.  Just wonder if the drops caused the ringing.

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »

It wasn't ringing before the drops, just ache and discomfort.

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:07:11 PM »

The drops have neomycin in that can cause tinnitus I've discovered.  Getting panicked.  Why would a gp prescribed this for ear trouble.  Have contacted surgery and hope it's not permanent. 

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »

Did you sleep or did the noise keep you awake? Sometimes I have to wriggle the ear I am laying on to ease the noise  ::)

suzysunday

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »

No I got some restless sleep.  I will have to give it some time, maybe it will ease.  Waiting for call from the gp. Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 12:39:42 PM »

Could you lay on a softer pillow or a 'ring' to relieve pressure on the whole side of the head?

suzysunday

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 04:38:46 PM »

Yes I could try that.  I need to stop panicking about everything, I exhaust myself and my partner.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2020, 05:09:54 PM »

It's how we are at a 'certain' age  ::)

Everything seems to niggle a lot more !

annieb

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 06:54:55 PM »

I have  tinnitus in both ears - left ear is high pitched buzzing noise and right ear is like a pneumatic drill .  When it first started (left ear first and then a few years later the right one) I was terrified but now I cope with it.  I know this sounds a bit trite but the worst thing you can do is panic.  That makes you more tense and anxious and in my case makes it worse.  It's also worse when I'm tired
You are actually listening for the noise.  If you can distract yourself - have some music or white noise in the background and concentrate on that - not the noise in your head. 
If it is tinnitus and doesn't go away then you will get used to it.  When it is quiet at night you need to train you brain not to listen to it - find something else to think about and concentrate on that .
PS I've had microsuction in both ears and it didn't affect the level of the tinnitus so hopefully you're will go away soon   
Pages: [1] 2