Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Cystitis  (Read 1968 times)

Ju Ju

Cystitis
« on: July 25, 2020, 09:41:56 PM »

I started a nasty bout of cystitis this afternoon. Haven’t had it for years. I’ve drunk loads of water and it’s helped it a bit, but I’ve had a few accidents before getting to the loo. I daren’t go to bed as it’s too far from the loo. Any tips?

Jellyb

Re: Cystitis
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »

It's a rain pain isn't it? I've only ever found the sachets from the chemist to work but the taste foul.  Hope it eases off soon.

Joaniepat

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 06:15:22 AM »

I started a nasty bout of cystitis this afternoon. Haven’t had it for years. I’ve drunk loads of water and it’s helped it a bit, but I’ve had a few accidents before getting to the loo. I daren’t go to bed as it’s too far from the loo. Any tips?
Sorry to hear that Ju Ju. Half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water 3 or 4 times a day will help to alkalize the urine. Nearly as foul tasting as the sachets, but without the artificial sweeteners. If you phone 111 they might give you a telephone appointment with a GP today so that you can get some ABs. Otherwise phone your own GP on Monday. Don't settle for less than a 7 day course of ABs. If at any point you have to give a urine sample try to make sure the sample is not too dilute. There's no point drinking buckets of water as you can't flush it out, only ABs will work.
JP x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 06:31:51 AM »

Or vaginal atrophy ? which mimics urine infection-type symptoms really really well.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 06:19:37 PM »

Hi, thank you! Things are easing up a bit. Still burning a bit. I’ve tried the bicarbonate of soda solution, which has helped. Didn’t get to bed till gone 5 this morning, after a shower. I’d had a few accidents, not quite getting to the loo in time! Jack up the pelvic floor exercises! I looked at the nhs website, which suggested that if not reoccurring and lasts less than 3 days, then treat at home. So I’ll see how things go. I would rather not take ABs if it’s not necessary. I’ve had to have more than my fair share in my life time and they can cause havoc with IBS.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 07:00:04 PM »

Pain relief?

groundhog

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »

Hi Ju JU
I’ve had a few and was referred to urologist.  He suggested D Mannose - it’s a natural supplement and he said it was definately worth a try.  Completely natural of course so no nasty side effects xx

Maybe worth a google x

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 09:49:38 AM »

Hello JuJu

Forgive me if I've got this wrong but did you say that you were tested for type 2 Diabetes a while ago? I ask because my MIL suffered many episodes of cystitis and frequent urination before she was tested and found to be diabetic.  If you see a GP it may be worth asking for a blood sugar test to rule it out.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »

How R symptoms this morning?

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 05:17:41 PM »

I was better until this afternoon and it’s all flared up again. No I’ve not been tested for type 2 diabetes recently. I do have a strong family history of both type 1 and 2 diabetes, but lost weight when warned I had insulin resistance symptoms, even though I was not overweight BMI wise. So that has been on my mind. So as I’ve had 3 days of problems, I shall call the doctors tomorrow and yes, ask about testing for diabetes. I have never had an episode like this before, though I have had the beginnings several times, but quickly headed it off by drinking lots of water. I’ve been very tired recently and have thought my iron levels are down again. All things I would have sorted, but for covid. This is so frustrating as I want to go on my own to see my parents, particularly as dad is terminally ill.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 05:29:28 PM »

Will you ring the surgery tomorrow for advice?  The NHS is apparently open for business.  That still seems if it's C-19 related, otherwise?

:foryou:

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »

Rang the surgery and spoke to the lovely receptionist , who seemed to feel my pain. They don’t make like they did in the early 80s. I had an isolated attack then and phoned for an appointment. Got to the surgery and was greeted by the receptionist who said in a loud voice that could be heard in the waiting room “ Here’s the lady with cystitis!”  I was rung by the nurse practitioner today, who prescribed a 3 day course of ABs and wanted a urine sample. So DH was dispatched on his motorbike on the wee run to deliver that, collect the prescription and go to the pharmacy. Here’s hoping this will fix it. If it recurs , I will ask about diabetes and try other ways to cope as suggested here. I hope it’s a one off. Very tired as I couldn’t go to bed until 4 o’clock, and even then had to get up hourly.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 01:21:23 PM »

Tx for the update. Sounds like it might B vaginal atrophy which mimics cystitis really really well.  If the ABs don't work then do ask for appropriate treatment or it will continue to niggle.  That's what happened to me and my GP diagnosed over the 'phone  ::) and prescribed treatment which has helped. 

The place I felt comfy was on the loo so that the whole bladder/spincter could relax.  A glass of cold water in one hand and a cuppa in the other  ::). Did U take pain relief?

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 02:57:25 PM »

Paracetamol and bicarbonate of soda dissolved in water and a series on Netflix recommended by my daughter! I sat watching on the loo!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »

That's the place to relax.  Allowing gravity to let the wee seep out.  It's that nip in the spincter that used to make me go goosey