Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Change of eating habits  (Read 3116 times)

Lynda07

Change of eating habits
« on: July 14, 2020, 07:39:08 PM »

Hi

Does anyone find they either can’t or don’t want to eat what they ate pre menopause?

Just lately I seem to be struggling to eat the larger meals I’ve always had - it’s as though my body and stomach only want smaller meals. I’m not worried by it, (for once) but I really do find it hard going to eat say, a filling lunch and a filling tea, which I have always managed in the past - it has to be one or the other now.

I also think I need an overhaul of my diet as I feel pretty rubbish a lot of the time, eating too many carbs and whilst not lots of sugar overall, certainly a lot of chocolate (this in particular since I gave up alcohol). So any tips there on your healthy snacks or small meals would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lynda

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Change of eating habits
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »

Make a list of what you eat for 7 days: everything: liquids, sweets, snacks, main meals.  Don't cheat.  It's easy to forget that small sweetie  ;D

Little and often suits many as we grow older.  We don't do as much exercise so don't need the same combination of food stuffs as when we were really busy.  However, we may be juggling aged parents/teens/toddlers/work - as well as hiatus hernia being a problem, causing reflux for many.

I have dropped chocolate and shop made buns for fresh dates, bananas, fruits and nuts.  I don't need many of each to feel full .......... slow release foods are good too, porridge  :-X.  Apparently.

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:56:00 AM »

Thank you both for replying.

Yes Jaypo. It’s horrible. I have sometimes felt sick after eating too. I didn’t realise a lot of others had similar and whilst I sympathise it makes me feel a bit better too.
CLKD - that is a good idea, especially as I am finding I get quite bloated at times and it’s when I have eaten. I think that is probably yet another sign of the menopause or getting older although I have always been prone to it.

Thank you again x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 10:28:37 AM »

I have cut out shop bought cakes.  Our village shop does lots of locally made goodies but I found that I was very bloated by the end of the day: ? hidden sugars ? and chocolate makes me feel sluggish  >:(  :D

I have instead started eating fresh dates and we are picking soft fruits in the garden.  I don't like salad much  :-\ apart from radishes and red beet  ::).  We don't eat much red meat as that slows my bowel but DH batch cooks curry and mince mix to add to rice or pasta.  I'm not really a bread person  :-\

How R your bowels?

Lynda07

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 10:59:15 AM »

I am starting to think that sugar might be affecting me actually.

I always prided myself on a decent diet but that's gone downhill in recent times as I know I rely on carbs too much. I have crisps and chocolate every day as a treat which is a habit but a hard one to break.

I do eat some fruit but no where near as much veg as I should. I never know what to do with it!

I do "go" every day or every other day, pretty normal I think.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:45:29 AM »

I dropped crisps. 2 greasy.  I have had a walnut whirl for pudding after my quarter piece pizza.

Maybe batch cook so that you have items in the freezer which means you are less likely to grab rubbish as a filler. 

Chinese and Asian recipes have lots of stir fry ideas for veg. as do Indian recipes, due to not being able to keep meat in a hot country and relying on veg.. 

Lynda07

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

Yes jaypo I agree, I'm seeing sugar as the enemy now but also slightly addicted - which I need to knock on the head.

CLKD, I'd forgotten all about stir frys  -thank you :)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 05:11:16 PM »

This is from someone who doesn't cook  ;D - but has a Very Good DH who is the Chef and has kept me alive for many years.  He batch cooks, splits it into eatable sized boxes and freezes it.  He's good at Yorkshire puds too  :-* and pancakes. 

Although not usual we eat chicken curry cold - if there's any left over I have it on brown bread for lunch the next day ;-).  Spicier sometimes  :o  ;D

Uptick

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »

Hi, I'm new here. Also having trouble with food. Lots of pains and aches, wind, bloating, reflux, diarrhoea and constipation. Does HRT help with that? Or is it an ageing problem? These issues have started in perimenopause, they are less troublesome now but still there on a weekly basis, I'd say. I've tried to change my diet many times, including upping water intake, eating lots of vegetables, fruits, decreasing carbs (oddly this has ruined my life, constant loose stools), I don't eat meat, fish, practically no dairy. Not taking meds, except for vit b12, 3 times a week. I eat some rubbish food now and then, pizza, ice cream, biscuits, but just as a treat. What else can I do? Thanks in advance.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 05:32:57 PM »

You aren't getting enough protein Uptick.  One needs carbs and dairy ;-) for good bone health. 

As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax = aches and pains. Body may become dry: inside and out  ::) browse round.  Make notes.

Lax muscles may cause reflux and other gut issues.  Maybe keep a diary of what you eat and drink for 7 days: everything.  Also note how your bowels are .......... and see whether there is a pattern.

Uptick

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 06:19:27 PM »

Hi, I eat lots of pulses and soy now and then. I have kept a food diary for many months. No rhyme or reason.

Uptick

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »

That's a good idea, thanks jaypo.

Uptick

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 06:44:56 PM »

Okay, thanks a lot jaypo.

Uptick

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 02:58:27 PM »

TMI! Today I've seen some undigested food with poo. I haven't changed my diet, does it mean I have digestion issues? What could it be? Lack of stomach acid or pancreas enzymes? Thanks.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 03:02:07 PM »

Probably undigested food!  If I gave my dog sweet corn which she loved, it would go through undigested.  Also, I use a good mix of muesli and often grains go through my system, undigested.  If we eat game which has been shot, pellets go through the system and are the hardest thing to flush away  ::)

Food takes a while to be processed through the digestive tract and if it goes through faster than usual, it will bypass the absorption areas.  Keep an eye for a week and make a note of what you are eating? and don't panic!
Pages: [1] 2