Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie - about to have surgery...  (Read 715 times)

Ktg777

• First Flush
Newbie - about to have surgery...
« on: July 13, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »

Hi all,
I’m a newbie, not just to this, but forums in general, so please be gentle with me! - I’ve have heard positive things about the community on here though :)
A week today, I’m due to have surgery to remove 2 borderline ovarian tumours and my ovaries in totality.
Truth be told, I’m pretty terrified, especially having read the 10 pages of consent forms over the last few days and all the potential things that could happen  :-\
I’ve read lots about being “plunged” into surgical menopause post op, and am pretty apprehensive about this... any tips or words of calmness anyone can share? I only seem to read all the horror stories!
Look forward to being able to contribute to this forum more frequently!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie - about to have surgery...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 05:21:48 PM »

WHOA !! is this another patient being encouraged into surgical intervention without discussion with her medical team about what lack of hormones will do after invasive female surgery. 

I would ring the Secretary tomorrow and ask the questions that worry you. I would ask for an face2face appt. with the Consultant in order to find out more about what is likely to happen after. 

Have you been recommended HRT at all, has any explanation been given?  You may like to look at the Ovacome website too, dedicated to ladies with potential/ovarian cancer.  They may well know a lot more about what is required than ladies on here.

Do you feel rushed into this decision? 

Wrensong

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »

Hi Ktg777  :welcomemm:

So sorry to hear you have the worry of surgery coming up.  There are several of us on here who have had BSO so you shouldn't be short of company.  I may not be the best person to chat to if you are premenopause as your post suggests, as my ovaries were removed a few years postmenopause, but I couldn't just read your post & run. 

My BSO was carried out for a red flag mass discovered on ultrasound for postmenopausal bleeding on HRT.  Surgery was keyhole, straightforward, with three very small incisions that healed well & I was discharged the following morning with a 5 week wait for histology results.  Usually carried out as a day case but I was kept in overnight as I don't recover that quickly after general anaesthetic.   Luckily for me, the mass turned out to be a benign cyst & recovery was again straightforward, though I did find I continued to need HRT & that my need for it was in some ways greater than before the surgery. 

I'm assuming by "borderline" you mean the abnormalities are thought to be most likely benign, but that as with mine, absolute certainty depends on removal & analysis.

I would advise you, as CLKD has done, to contact the surgeon now, to talk about any concerns you have.   You will almost certainly need HRT post-op & this will hopefully have already been advised as very sensible (depending on the nature of what's found), both for symptom relief & to safeguard your heart & bones.  Women whose ovaries are removed usually need testosterone as well as oestrogen & a form of progesterone, the latter is assuming your uterus is currently intact & not being removed along with the ovaries.  I'll stop at that for now as hopefully someone who's had BSO premenopause will come along shortly to chat.

Please keep posting & ask any questions - nothing is silly, nothing is taboo & everyone will just want to help.  Hope all goes well with your surgery, that the wait for results is short & the outcome very good.  :hug:
Wx
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:40:53 PM by Wrensong »

Ktg777

• First Flush
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 06:46:26 PM »

Thanks @CLKD and @Wrensong - and please don’t worry, I haven’t been pressured into this decision.

My consultant has been excellent, and because this is the second time I’ve had borderline tumours (I had previous surgery back in 2003, where they were removed, but preserved my ovaries), I have agreed that it will remove the risk of them re emerging in the future... especially as they are not sure if the masses are nasty or not.

I’ve just finished a cycle of fertility treatment ahead of the surgery, so hoping that we will have some embryos to freeze later this week  :) And I’m meeting with the clinical nursing team and consultant later this week to discuss the hormone treatment plan post surgery to deal with the impacts of the menopause. So I feel in good hands  :)

Thanks for the advice - I will add to my list of questions about the various drug options!

Wrensong

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 06:55:20 PM »

Everything crossed for the fertility treatment outcome to be successful & so pleased to know you are in very good hands.  Please let us know how you get on if you're happy to share.
Wx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 07:05:13 PM »

So has the fertility treatment triggered the worries?

What a mix of emotions?  Keep us up to date.   :foryou: