Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hair advice  (Read 1268 times)

shrosphirelass

Hair advice
« on: July 04, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »

I have long coarse thick hair which I have dyed (the roots) for the last 15 years. With lockdown I now look like a skunk. I used cover up which worked well but is getting increasingly messy so I decided to just leave it.

I have decided if I can be strong to go natural but don't think I can tolerate 2 years of growing it out. I am considering a longish choppy pixie cut to get rid of as much of the colour (dark brown/ red) as possible. My natural hair is probably 80 % grey and 20% dark brown , though there is more grey and more brown in certain areas.

I am petite 5'2" and 7 stone 12lb with a round/ square face so when I look at the models that look lovely I know they wont translate, especially given the texture of my hair.

Has anyone gone from long hair to pixie? I know I will initailly hate it. I don't like change but the benefits are no more chemicals, less hairdresser visits and costs and perhaps trying to embrace my age!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hair advice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 07:09:18 PM »

Don't do too much at once or you will jump each time you look in the mirror ;-). 

Look at the various websites for hairdressers in your area to see if any have wigs to try on?  That's what I did prior to having my long hair cut.  Initially I went from waist to shoulder length then to a short cut with perm - looked like Crystal Tipps and Alaister ...... my boss didn't recognise me  :o

So I would get any split ends tidied up and maybe a couple of inches off initially.  See how you feel.  If you can try a wig you will see exactly what the lengths will look like.  U can then decide how much to have cut off the next time, is there any rush? 

I think that shorter hair looks better on ladies as we age.  I stopped having my hair hi-lighted here at home 6 years ago and because my stylist cuts well, it has gone grey gently so that I am used to it.

Also if the hair is coarse a good stylist can 'strip' it back by cutting it sympathetically to lighten the look.  A good conditioner. A scalp massage is lovely.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 04:42:34 PM »

Strange ain't it - I bought 2 x 6 magazines for ?5.00 each bundle - and in woman&home 'feel good you' May 2020 is an article about grey hair  ::)

I chatted with DH earlier and he likes me as I am  :-* - wash it, dry it and shake a bit, job done.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 06:17:03 PM »

Sounds good wash it , dry it and shake it a bit, I like that. My OH is keen on me going grey. I guess I'm vainer than I thought. I've always been obsessed with my hair but you wouldn't think it to look at me!

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 07:06:18 PM »

Old English Sheepdog look then ?  or Hungarian Puli even ?

I read in the same article that one shouldn't dry hair in the sunshine but use a hair dryer  :-\ - obviously there's a sale's pitch there, yep: W&H like the dryer that costs over ?150.00 !

When I had very long hair Mum would wash it over the bath and then I would towel dry in front of the coal fire, kneeling with hair over my neck to dry underneath.  Now I sit in the sunshine with a pre-warmed towel and rub gently.   Haven't used a hairdryer for years, the stylist does but I don't have product ........ mine thrives on neglect  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:56:56 PM »

That's me, old English sheep dog look at the moment.  More like the sheep though. this ➡️🐑
Wish I looked like this, ➡️ 🐩.    😂🤣

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 07:59:35 PM »

Oh I can do a French poodle trim when you're ready.  It's done like that to protect the vital organs when the gun dogs are collecting shot game from water, how are your retrieving skills  ;D

I think that I will make an appt with my stylist sooner rather than later ....... it may be a few weeks after all.

Years ago we used to rinse with cold vinegar ........ I can't remember if we smelt like a chippy  :D

DS68

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 08:03:14 PM »

A skunk 😂🤣😂 thanks for making me lol