Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dry frizzy hair 😱💇🏻‍♀️  (Read 3772 times)

Mo70

• First Flush
Dry frizzy hair 😱💇🏻‍♀️
« on: July 02, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »

Can anyone offer any advice re good shampoo /conditioner /hair treatments ? I've tried various and spent various amounts on various products but to no avail ! I make sure to drink plenty of water eat a varied diet etc  but still struggle with unruly hair ☹️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dry frizzy hair 😱💇🏻‍♀️
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 08:58:37 PM »

I think that we are all waiting for that vital trip to the stylist?  Mine is very dry I think due to using blunt scissors ;-).  Scissors, a large mirror and a shed: haven't needed to hide in the shed.  Yet  :D

Is your hair coloured?  I have gone back to baby shampoo and condition twice a week.  I never have product applied at the hairdressers as it doesn't get that at home.  I understand that olive oil might be good: wash as usual.  Towel dry.  Warm a little olive oil in a cup and massage into the scalp.  Leave and rinse.  Do not use a hair dryer as that can cause problems ;-).

Jeepers

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 06:19:25 AM »

Hi Mo70

While my hair is still slightly damp after washing and conditioning, I apply a little Elvive Extraordinary oil in cream from midway to the tips of my hair, really makes a difference to my hair

Jeepers xx

Lyncola

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 08:48:20 PM »

My hair is an up hill battle, i have naturally curly hair and I live in Queensland Australia. And even though we are in winter we are still having high humidity days. Every day my hair grows bigger and more frizzy.

I only wash my hair every 5 days (apparently for curly hair the longer you don't wash it the natural oils come in, leaving less dry). Only brush my hair every 5 days (in the shower wet with conditioner in it). Quickly wash the conditioner out so (5 swipes of the shower head). I then applied leave in conditioner A?kin. Then apply hair styling product Catwalk curls rock amplifier and leave to dry naturally.

And to find a hairdresser that can cut curly hair.  :-\
They all say they can, but they are so wrong. I've been kick out off an hairdressers when my hair started to get frizzy when she was working on it. But ther is an hairdressers in Brisbane that only cuts curly hair only. Amanda cuts it dry and then wash and sets your curls. Great job but for over $200 for a cut and wash, I can't afford that. So at the moment I go once a year to get it cut. I go to a cheap hairdressers and get it cut for $30, come home wash it again and fix up the cut but cutting it myself.

The joy of curls ;D

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 08:20:03 AM »

Lyncola - do you have ethnic hairdressers in your area? If so pop into a salon and ask if they have any advice, products etc. that would help.  They may offer to cut it for you ;-).

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 08:44:45 AM »

I use argon oil,think it's lee Stafford but could be wrong,it's in a small orange box,it's about ?12 BUT you only need a small amount,apply it to washed hair,it's fab the other product is hair Xpertise argon oil,brilliant for dry hair too

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 10:25:34 AM »

Hello ladies.

Lyncola -  I discovered George Northwood on YouTube and he demonstrated a simple way to trim your own hair. I had a go and it worked really well. My hair is straight but it may be worth trying his technique on your curly hair.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

K.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 06:30:47 PM »

I have masses of dry coarse hair! The best thing I have used is  Creme of Nature Professional Ultra Moisturising Shampoo 32oz . I think it was designed originally for african heritage hair. It is really rich and seems to hydrate well. The bottle lasts me a year and cost about ?12 off the internet. I got it orignally from the hairdressers on her recommendation. I also use moroccon oil when my hair is freshly washed and damp. It's expensive ?30 a bottle but lasts me over 6 months and is excellent.

Lyncola

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 08:29:32 AM »

There is a hairdressers in Brisbane called Purly Curls. You can't get your hair cut there unless you have curly hair. They cut your hair dry and then wash and set. They did a great job but at $200 a cut it's out of my price range.

I just go to Just Cuts, and they wash my hair then cut, that's the problem with curly hair. I have three different curls. Bits of my hair can be a wave lots of it really curly. So when I come home and wash it again, the bits that aren't so curly hung longer, so out come the scissors to shorten those bits.

When I haven't got so many bills I will go back to Purly Curls

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 02:11:15 PM »

I use frizz ease by John Freida, and a very tiny amount of argon oil to keep my curls tame.
Umberto Giannai curl cream I use when I want more defined curls.
Finish off with Ellnet hairspray for a little shine.

Even though your struggling with your hair, I'd love naturally curly hair, I have my permed. 😏 I have got a small kink in mine, but that's it, neither curly nor straight! Hate it.
So I have it permed. 👩🏼‍🦱

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 02:19:10 PM »

Hahahahaha I'm laughing at all the replies,poor mo is going to be even more confused  ;D

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 02:27:17 PM »

You know what? We should have it all cut off! That'll show the bugga! 😂🤣😂👩🏼‍🦲👩🏼‍🦲👩🏼‍🦲👩🏼‍🦲

Sparrow

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »

Cornwall Soap Box.

They are based in St.Ives but do mail order from their website. 

They do a Shampoo bar which sorted out my hair, when it went like straw.

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 09:49:56 PM »

Current regime is

Wash twice with Herbal Essences Bourbon Manuka Honey Shampoo

work through Bourbon Manuka Honey conditioner  and comb through

Leave whilst wash the rest of myself

rinse

pat dry with towel

Put a few drops of Argon oil* onto my hands, rub a bit and work through hair again and comb

Tidy fringe with hair dryer

twist hair into tidy spirals and allow to dry naturally

run fingers through with a little more argon oil.

*  It is just the oil, not a product - got it ages ago from waitrose and not sure they sell it any more.  It lasts well.

The best thing is to find a good hairdresser that can get your hair to the right amount of layering and right length to keep it tidy and allow it to curl rather than frizz - mine drops out when it gets longer.

If all else fails, straighteners.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 08:35:37 AM »

Argon oil is advertised in many of the UK beauty magazines

It's a ? nut ?
Pages: [1] 2