Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Low ferritin/iron  (Read 5361 times)

Fez1976

Low ferritin/iron
« on: June 26, 2020, 10:43:29 AM »

Hi I posted a few weeks ago. I'm 44 and had my children quite late 41/43. Anyway I've had a history of low iron due to Heavy periods/fibroids. but having children close together and breastfeeding meant that I had a bit of a break and iron levels were fine.

Just before lockdown I started to feel exhausted, I felt weak breathless, headaches, joint aches heart palpitations anxiety. I thought oh peri menapause, ( most of women in the have been through the menapause by 47)   I spoke to the gp he didn't take it seriously. Then I started very heavy periods flooding basically gp put me on noriday. I took it religiously but still got a period.
Anyway one gp begrudgingly requested every blood test after I read a list of symptoms with dates etc.
I got a call last Friday my Ferrarin is 7  :o and hb 12. I am having a iron infusion next week. Has anyone had low iron how have you felt. I feel I don't even recognise who I am anymore. ive also been referred to gynaecology.

jaypo

Re: Low ferritin/iron
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 11:18:15 AM »

Great that you're going to gynaecologist, I had very low iron levels due to fibroids,flooding was horrific and  huge clots the only thing I noticed was that I was breathless and was put on ferrous sulphate which helped,ultimately I had to have a hysterectomy after trying many procedures including an ablation but for me it was the best thing I did,good luck and let us know how you get on

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 09:26:44 PM »

Many years ago, when I was having very heavy periods, my iron levels dropped to 7.  I remember walking up the stairs and feeling so out of breath that I thought I needed to get fit.  At  the same time I got a bad chest infection that did not go with antibiotics and I was eventually sent for a chest x ray. It started clearing up as my iron levels rose following a course of iron tablets for three months.

I was put on tranexamic acid, which did help and then the progesterone only pill, which really did not agree with me.  At one point I was going to have the Mirena coil but things started easing off before that, so never did.

I still take iron, even though it was about 15 years ago and have not had a period for nearly 5 years but I remember how awful I felt.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »

Ive been having constant bleeing which culminated in 3 days of flooding so much so that I even thought I might bleed to death! I was sent for a blood test and results came bck as anemic. I have been feeling really dizzy but apart from that ok, but I think my levels are higher than yours. I have been on iron medication in the past and I think it works pretty quickly. I was put of mefanic acid to control the bleeding. Good luck with your tests.

Bobidy

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 11:30:51 PM »

I sympathise massively. Before my hysterectomy my periods were horrific for about 8 years. I was constantly anemic and felt like death warmed up.

If you get prescribed mefalonic acid do take it with food as it is an NSAID and can hurt your stomach. I hated them with a passion but it was the only thing to stop the day 2 pains.

If you take iron tablets take them with vitamin c or juice to help absorption. I used to take them with food to. I think I read somewhere that tea or milk hinder absorption.

For the practicalities of vile heavy bleeds and flooding I used a plastic mattress protector, a bath towel to lie on and got to the point where I used incontinence pants at night in bed, which I know sounds awful but was the only way I could relax enough to sleep. Incontinance pads are also good on really heavy days out and about when normal sanitary stuff is just not enough. You will be able to relax more. Aldi do some cheap ones of both if you wanted to trial them.

Lots of women have success with the coil for this.

A hysterectomy is extreme, but I have to say it was the best decision for me personally as it was ruining my life.

I send you all my best wishes and know exactly what you are going through x

Bobidy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:40:49 PM »

I forgot to say that heavy frequent periods are a sign of peri menopause even if you have fibroids (as I did too).

Mine got so close together I was sometimes having 2 periods per month with a 14 day break in between.

My doctor kept putting me on and off iron tablets but within 2 months I'd be anemic again! So I stayed on them towards the end.

You can top up iron with your diet or there are gentler on the shelf products like Spatone etc you could try.

Try to insist on a blood test every few months too to check your levels x

clarissa

• First Flush
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »

I have been diagnosed with anemia after insisting on a blood test, because I'd had such terrible flooding.  I had extreme fatigue, felt cold, migraines, dizziness, plus emotionally very low. Low appetite which I never have normally.  My female doctor booked me straight into hospital for an intravenous injection of iron, I go in tomorrow morning.  It concided with going back to study second year of my degree course and I thought I was going to pass out.  I couldn't even make it back to my car which was parked up a slope and I had to rest on a wall.  I look like a corpse and no amount of fake tan or make up helps.  My lips have become almost white, dark rings under eyes not a good look.  I can't wait to get that infusion, I've been taking my own supply of iron and eating liver or steak every day, plus spinach soup every night.  I hope to get better soon!  :(

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »

You'll feel a million times better when you get it clarissa, I eventually had a hysterectomy as I couldn't cope with the flooding and huge clots,let us know how you are

clarissa

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »

Thanks so much ;) I hope so! 

tootsieroll

• First Flush
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2023, 11:28:24 AM »

Any updates on the heavy bleeding?