Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Pain relief for fibromyalgia  (Read 1736 times)

SarahT

Pain relief for fibromyalgia
« on: December 10, 2023, 09:48:14 AM »

Morning all,

In connection with other threads, a gp at an ME/chronic pain relief clinic suspects rather than ME, I have fibromyalgia. She wants one more test to eliminate a form of arthritis before giving a formal diagnosis.
I was told months ago to take paracetamol for the pain, then add Voltarol on my hands ( they don't seem to work very well atm). My husband has to help men and out the shower today due to bad stiffness.

I am getting a lot worse pain,weakness and fatigue wise, my brain fog too. The clinic suggested Duloxetine AD,   but looking at previous threads this seems t be bad for withdrawal effects.
Also,  Sertraline in the past badly affected my libido which is a bit concern with ADS as a pain relief. I don't won't my sex life to get even worse than it
is.

Anyone with Fibro on an effective form of pain relief that doesn't give too many side affects? Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pain relief for fibromyalgia
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 10:21:32 AM »

Morning.  Fibromyalgia can be a 'cover' for 'we don't know' ......... my Mum had polymyagia rheumatica and Dad had to do everything for her until steroid treatment kicked in.  Her face swelled for a while but it relieved the inflammation [sorry can't remember how long that took] and she was weaned off the steroids.  It didn't reoccur.

I can't remember whether Mum had blood tests or X-rays.  What is your GP looking for exactly?

Have U tried cold/hot water therapy for the hands: a bowl of cold, a bowl of hot - dip hands into one than the other alternatively.  Also warm towels to dry body with can help a bit.

SarahT

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 10:37:44 AM »

Morning CLKD,

I need a further scan on my hands for arthritis ( already have OA in both hips) as the clinic and myself agree as you say that it may be so.during other than fibro. However her examination and questions were very thorough, so I am leaning towards fibro but just want to eliminate the possibility of any other cause, or a condition running alongside fibro.
The water treatment helps for a very short time  as does paracetamol and voltarol. Just this overall pain and stiffness 24 area day. Sleep disturbed I wake to turn and cry out in pain as I move. need s omething more long term now.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2023, 02:15:57 PM »

My sister has fibromyalgia,it causes chronic fatigue with her but like clkd said,I think it's a "cover all" scenario by GPs as they don't know what else it can be

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 02:45:34 PM »

Reading more on the NHS site polymyagia rheumatic affects the upper body.  Apparently.

SarahT

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 03:28:28 PM »

Thanks ladies,
For me it is literally top to toe pain, weakness and fatigue. It's the stiffness that I find so difficult to work with. I will have some support from the chronic pain clinic next year  as to how best to manage symptoms, but for now I need some real pain relief, it's been relentless for months now. Have an appt with gp in the morning so have my questions and points written down..

I agree fibro and sometimes ME, can be called on  when all other tests and options fail to bring a diagnosis, but this clinic is as keen as I am to ensure there is nothing else that has been missed. Had a barrage of tests already with no answers, the Dr at the clinic was very thorough in questions and examinations, she herself said it was not ME ( as my own gp considered ) as the details of the symptoms matched fibro instead.

Thanks for the replies

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2023, 03:56:00 PM »

Would Valium short term help?  I remember my neighbour had severe back pain for which he was admitted to Hospital and was given valium to relax muscles.

SarahT

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2023, 04:12:55 PM »

Anti depressants seem to be the option gps use for fibromyalgia pain, I would like to discuss other options that may work. I am I a low dose AD already which seems to help my cyclical moods and am reluctant to cease a drug that is working for me. I may Ask if increasing the dose of this particular type Mitrazapine) gives the needed pain relief, as it doesn't worsen the libido like many other ADS can do.
Jeez life it's complicated sometimes. I expect side effects from any medication but I need what little sex drive I have remaining. Please.😕