Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Sinus issues  (Read 1561 times)

CrispyChick

Sinus issues
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:23:39 PM »

Just one question really - does anyone have experience of antihistamines causing sinus problems, or at making them worse?

I have terrible sinus pressure. I read there may be a connection, so stopped my super strong antihistamines 4 days ago. Sinuses much better. But boy is my hayfever causing itchy eyes etc...

I am meant to take antihistamines every day for all my various allergies, but I'm feeling this may be more than coincidence that the sinus pressure is reducing.

Anyone know about this? My GP said she had never heard of antihistamines being bad for sinus issues. 🤷‍♀️

shrosphirelass

Re: Sinus issues
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »

I'm no expert but I have antihistamines to help with my sinus issues in the spring and summer to combat the bad headaches I get. Im not sure if the antihisatmines have much effect, but they don't nake it worse. I think the nasal steroid spray works better for me. When the pollen is high I always wear sunglasss and put lots of vaseline up my nose when I go out! I guess though we are all different. Is this a new issue for you?

CrispyChick

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »

The allergies, antihistamine and sinus issues I have had a long time. Even waiting for a nose op.

However, I have read that during a bout of sinusitis (which flared a month and half ago) antihistamines can actually drybyiur sinuses and make it worse.

I'm sure I read something about this previously on thus forum... So hoping someone might be able to shed light on it. I need my antihistamines, but my sinus pressure was getting really bad!

CrispyChick

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:39:04 PM »

Thank you for the article Indigo.

The hayfever calmed down again - I had been a walk in the country!!! I think I'll try for the rest of the week before trying the antibiotics the gp gave me.

I am usually on steroid inhaler, steroid nose spray and strong antihistamines. I think the ENT recommended the antihistamines for my rhinitis in the first place... Funny how my gp has now knowledge of antihistamines causing dryness in sinuses.

Tc

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 04:33:27 PM »

Just to say. I'm a long time sinus sufferer. This year I havent used any anti histamine products at all  for my hayfever for fear of drying out my mucous membranes any more than meno has already done.  Yet. I've had worse trouble with my sinuses than I've had for a few years. I've had an infection for weeks now  which hasnt gone away.  I've just started penicillin.

Xxx

CrispyChick

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »

Thanks for replies.

So tc, how do you know meno dries them out? Experience??? I do think I was told to go on antihistamines in first place for my sinuses. But that's day 5 off them and the pressure is still there, but much better.

Indigo. Yes steroid inhaler for asthma. I have the whole lot. Yes, had skin **** test. Allergic to pretty much everything. The antihistamines help a lot... But now this sinus issue.

Yes, gp has given me avtibiotics for sinusitis. Not sure whether to start them given my sinus pressure appears greatly reduced by stopping the antihistamines...

🤷‍♀️

Tc

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »

I had surgical meno so I could tell because within weeks my vagina was very dry (it wasnt before) then within months i developed dry eyes and my mouth and nose are definitely drier.   Wonderful ain't it?  :(

Tc

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 06:16:54 AM »

I agree. I have times when its sinusitis and other times when there is infection there and that  only goes away with ABs.