Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 420

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1037935 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »

It is CHUCKING it down with rain.  Muggy.  I can't see down the garden.  Birds have taken cover.  Hope my chickens are in the shed can't go down even to see!  Cat's out .............. I'm fed up now, we've had rain every day except Sunday .......... my neighbours are camping in Wales  ::)

Hotnbothered

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 02:53:16 PM »

It's drying up down here..if you understand that  :) looks as though the clouds are starting to break up as well  :)

Taz2

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »

We have only had one quick shower today - those big fat drops of rain. It was very sunny this morning up until around 11 then the clouds came over. It is just like a greenhouse out there. Remember those crisp, clear autumn mornings  ;D ;D

CLKD I think you are supposed to be getting a drenching - nice to know the weather men get it right sometimes but it would have been better if they had forecast sun for you  :ange:

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 08:27:23 PM »

Sun would have been lovely all day ........... it's still drizzling hard  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:42 PM »

Its pelting down here now - mind you - in Newbury which is about 8 miles down the road from me they have had torrential rain all day so obviously we were just on the edge of it.

Taz x

Hotnbothered

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 09:22:25 AM »

It's beautiful blue sky & sunshine here today  :sunny:
wednesday morning when it was sunny I went to get the milk in & there was a peacock butterfly sunning itself on the doorstep  :)
Got the milk in this morning but no butterflies, but we have had a couple of bees on the lavender  :)

CLKD

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 11:05:12 AM »

Sky is blue for a while.  Insects abound.  Milk on the doorstep?  One presumes in a bottle  ???  ;)

Warm.  Muddy underfoot.  Robin was drenched when he came for breakfast at 7.15 a.m.

Hotnbothered

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »

Yes, milk in bottle in one of those cool thingys (sun on front of house first thing)
It was the butterfly on the doorstep, closed the door carefully so as not to scare it  :)

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »

I remember Mum bought a cooly thing years++ ago - polysterene - supposed to keep the milk cool .... held 2 pintas

Taz2

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:18 PM »

That sounds idyllic fleurie - haven't had any swallowtails here but they are very beautiful butterflies. Not sure about the noise from the Cicadas though  :)

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »

I could hear a grasshopper rubbing his back legs together when I was near the lavender on Friday afternoon

Don't think I could put up with constant cicadas though  ::)

Hubby has taken some photos of the butterfly bushes which are full of insects today

Taz2

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2009, 07:19:25 AM »

This is a really strange video and article - it is about the chicken frog - dying out cos they taste like chicken and have been hunted to the brink of extinction. They are now part of a captive breeding programme. Apparently, the frog builds a "foam burrow" for her eggs. To feed the tadpoles she goes back to the "nest" and lays infertile eggs which are eaten by the tadpoles. They all eat the eggs as they are emerging from her and she moves her backlegs around to knock off some tadpoles so that others can feed. Truly strange. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8185125.stm

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »

That is revolting  :o ..... and so huge!  I wouldn't be encouraging those to spawn in our ponds  :-\ .... maybe there's a reason why they are dying out !!!!

I am covered in insect bites which itch like fury.  Time of year I suppose  ::) ........

Taz2

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »

I think its rather wonderful actually. They don't spawn in ponds - they dig burrows which they fill with a special foam they manufacture.  They are dying out because the local people have hunted them to extinction due to their taste. It is very clever how it all works though - makes you realise how clever nature is. Should have given it poisonous flesh though to stop the people eating it.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »

It's wonderful in a weird kind of way  :na: hopefully none will escape into the UK countryside!

My bites still itch  :poke2:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 420