Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1104492 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4485 on: April 25, 2019, 04:24:56 PM »

Heard the cuckoo yesterday  :-*

Well done Krystal - not so lucky for other trees though, a Company has sawn down lots even though their Planning hasn't been approved.  Can't remember where and don't have the paper to hand

Two hoots

« Reply #4486 on: April 25, 2019, 08:32:59 PM »

I've seen a photo Chris Packham has taken, someone has hung dead crows outside his property  :-\
I haven't read why it's been done but it's horrible  >:(

jaypo

« Reply #4487 on: April 25, 2019, 08:35:59 PM »

I saw that too,it's the pro hunting brigade,they want him sacked from bbc for not being impartial as he wants to ban fox hunting etc but there was a poll online asking people if they thought he should be sacked and 70% said no,two fingers up to the hunting hooray henries 😄

Cecelia

« Reply #4488 on: April 26, 2019, 05:11:37 AM »

Just been woken by a cuckoo right outside bedroom window. What a lovely alarm call!

CLKD

« Reply #4489 on: April 26, 2019, 07:47:40 AM »

How lovely! 

Chris Packham and others have formed a group to encourage the public to do what: I can't remember  ::).  He is very controversial.  He's also very tall and strides through Bird Fair with minders.

Nowt to report yet today.

Cecelia

« Reply #4490 on: April 26, 2019, 08:00:47 AM »

Hmmmm better not go there....

CLKD

« Reply #4491 on: April 26, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »

Oh go on  ;D

Small frogs in the ponds  :-*. That strange woman has put words into my mouth again - tadpoles not frogs  :-X
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:13:02 PM by CLKD »

Countrygirl

« Reply #4492 on: April 26, 2019, 02:11:34 PM »

Been watching the birds collecting nesting materials its lovely to see, especially a little blue tit that is nesting in one of the boxes, it has a habit of balling up the dog hair so it can carry more x

Taz2

« Reply #4493 on: April 26, 2019, 05:14:22 PM »

It's clever how they take as much as possible isn't it? My great tits love the fur from my long haired cat but it is tricky to make into a ball so they fly off with long white moustaches streaming behind them.  ;D

Taz x

Krystal

« Reply #4494 on: April 27, 2019, 06:17:57 PM »

The RSPB have released a record of pure wild birdsong which has included birdsong from some of the bird species which are now in danger of extinction. They say that the record is 2 minutes 30 seconds long and if you listen to it whilst doing nothing your mood will lift for at least 4 hours. Locally this record has been streamed and downloaded so much since its release yesterday it has become the second most popular download this week.
I used to work in an office in the city centre, across the road from the office was a building surrounded by very old trees. Those trees were home to many birds. It was a pleasure to go to work in the morning and hear the birdsong. I used to open the window to listen to the birdsong before the office became busy and it used to make me feel happy. Now I listen to the birds whilst in bed before I get up and sit outside at dusk to enjoy their evensong. Wonderful.   

CLKD

« Reply #4495 on: April 27, 2019, 06:29:11 PM »

I didn't realise it is a download.  I thought I had to buy it ...........

CLKD

« Reply #4496 on: April 28, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »

We had a fox  :o in our garden last week, caught on night camera.  Big bushy tail on long legs triggering the film  :o  :o - have no idea how it got in though they are known to climb ........... hope it doesn't dump   :-X cats' pooh is bad enough  :(

Taz2

« Reply #4497 on: April 28, 2019, 10:49:31 AM »

We have a beautiful fox visiting most nights. Sits on the front doorstep after it's had a wander around the garden. Now and again I leave an egg out for it if I remember.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4498 on: April 28, 2019, 12:29:12 PM »

So then it will recognise an egg and go raiding  :na: .......... hopefully it was a 1-off visit 2 our garden!

Found 8 large dragon-fly larvae and a very young damsel fly larvae in our middle pond whilst clearing blanket weed.  Put back gently B4 they bit me  :D

Taz2

« Reply #4499 on: April 30, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »

Hedgehog "families" as explained by a local hedgehog rescue lady - not what we think maybe!

"Mummy and daddy hedgehog and baby hedgehog
November 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM
This winds me up no end. Many people tell me about the cute little family of hedgehogs in their garden, so this year, instead of going round telling children that Santa doesn't exist, I'm going to wreck all your smushies about hedgehog families. MUWAHAHAHA.The realities of hedgehog 'families' are far away from anything most people imagine.

Mummy and daddy hog.

You what? These creatures are solitary. They don't live in pairs or groups. In spring or whenever the urge takes a mummy hog to do the naughty, and it has to be the mummy hog's decision, daddy hog gets no say in the matter, she will go looking for a mate. Well actually that's not true, she carries on as normal and waits for the males to appear. Please note I said males not male. All will become disconcertingly clear later on.

Males are wandering about aimlessly getting thinner and thinner as they desperately look for a female to mate with and forgetting to eat. When they trip over the object of their passion they will pester her by running around her in circles. She usually tells them what she thinks of them so when you see a pair of hogs in your garden, one running around like a loony and the other making a racket, that is what's going on.

If two males turn up a confrontation may well start. They push and shove each other, huffing and puffing like steam trains. A lot of head butting ensues and eventually the loser will curl up in a ball and is often rolled off down the garden by the victor until it's out of the way. The victor then goes back to his attentions on the female.

Now the mere fact he won a great battle in front of her doesn't mean that she will have anything to do with him and as there is no such thing as hedgehog rape due to her spines, he may have fought for nothing.

Mating

If she decides he's worth her time and she doesn't have a headache, she will lie flat on the ground, legs stuck out behind her and spines laid a bit flat so he can do whatever if he's agile enough. I shan't go further into the mechanics of the male appendage for fear of making male readers jealous but let's just say it's about half the length of his body and appears, in some of them at least, to be articulated. Think of an earthworm which has run at 90 miles an hour into a brick wall and you'll get the idea of what it looks like. Or ask any of our volunteers who have got a handful.

Once mating is over he clears off. That's it. No cigarette, no small talk, no did the earth move for you too?

Post event

Mummy hog carries on eating. If another male turns up later and she likes the look of him too, she'll repeat the process. She may do it again with another one and another one and.... Not that she's what you might call a floosie, she's trying to increase the odds.

Now that doesn't really make a lot of sense until you understand that research done a few years ago showed that a litter of hoglets can all have a different father. Solitary animals don't have the luxury of a dominant male with demonstrably good genes, they have to take what they can get, so by mating with several there is a good chance that one of the babies will survive.

Birth

Mum has to make her own nest and females can often be seen in daylight, rushing about with a mouthful of grass. She has the babies and will usually stay in the nest with them for the first few days after which she will feed the babies during the day and come out to eat for herself at night. If anyone or anything disturbs the nest in the first week she may kill and eat the babies. This sounds awful but makes sense. She can go on to have more babies. The babies won't survive without her - or some lunatic rescuer prepared to get RSI syringe feeding them every hour for days on end - so she saves herself.

Rearing

Mum will feed the babies, teach them to eat by themselves, protect them as much as she can but at around 5-6 weeks when they have all their teeth and feeding is getting decidedly painful she clears off. The babies are understandably confused and this is when they either get into trouble or hold their own. It's also the time when people see little ones running around their garden in a panic, yelling their heads off. They are looking for mum but she's not coming back.

Often these babies end up at rescues when there is no need. They are usually still in the nest and during the summer, as long as that is safe you can put out food and water for them until they calm down a bit. If you're worried call a rescue. At this time of year (November) you need to grab any little ones under 600g and get them to safety as they won't make it through the winter unless it's really mild.

Conclusion

So, Mummy and daddy hedgehog and baby hedgehog? Nah. If you see two big ones and a little one in your garden, it's just two big ones and a little one."

Taz x  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 [300] 301 302 ... 422