Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 420

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1038301 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2009, 06:58:32 AM »

Have just picked fresh black grapes from the vine for brekkies ........... lovely and sweet except the tiny whizzened ones which are bitter ........  I can see bilberries too to pick for lunch  :-*

Suzi Q

« Reply #61 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »

We have PLovers in the garden in our Palm tree they are nesting I buy small wild bird seed and feed them
My son bought me a bird bath and I change the water nigh on every day and they go in and sit get cool
I feed my Magpies too only every other day dont want them to get dependant but its like a scene from the Birds
People walking past are facinated I can have upwards of 50 Maggies in the front garden I love it
Plus we have a pair of Blue Tongue Lizards in the garden I feed them bananas dont know where they have laid the egg though?
My Tonkanese Lucy sits on the inside of the fly screen door going whwhwhwhwhwhw shes never been allowed out
Cats do too much damage to the wild life in Ozz and shes a Mummys girl :cat88: anyway
Suzi Q :cat48:

CLKD

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2009, 12:04:49 PM »

Oh lizards  :o ... your kitty would really love to play with those unless they are like the Komodo dragons  >:( .... our cats stayed inside because we had 36,000 vehicles by our house daily!

Suzi Q

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »

They would EAT my Lucykins
They are about a foot long about 3inches wide and have huge tongues that hiss out
They arent poison and they dont attack they are lovely and sadly quite tame
Suzi Q 8)

CLKD

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2009, 02:38:09 PM »

What do they feed upon?  I feed our wild birds live meal worms ....... as well as grain mix

dando

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »

I'm going to feed the wild birdies regularly this year and will get some of the wild bird mix from the garden centre.  I see they also sell freeze dried dead (thank God) mealworms which you can also feed to the birds.  Has anyone else used these?  Do the birds like them etc. 

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »

2 November and we have in our garden: autumn fruiting raspberry canes; bilberries which are also brilliant colours as the leaves change; roses of various colours; shrubs which usually flower in March; hebes; rosemary; lavender .............

Hotnbothered

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2009, 02:42:52 PM »

i have a rose still in bloom, fuschia's (not the hardy type!), hydrangea, nigella, forsythia, a blue shrub-name escapes me  ??? alysum (sp), marigolds, pansies,californian poppies, antirrhinums & sweet williams & there are a couple of flowers on 2 tomato plants as well as a couple of tiny tomatoes & a courgette plant keeps flowering but I keep forgetting to put slug pellets round it, so they keep getting eaten!!

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »

Oh I found 2 snap dragons today!  Also 3 yellow marigolds and the 1st wallflower ......

Meal worms are better fed 'live' - our robin mugs me for them, he will even follow me around inside the house when he has a nest of young to feed: he had 3 nests this Summer, sadly the orchard where he nests has been grubbed out  :'( - dried worms are OK so long as the birds have access to fresh water.  Live ones can escape and turn into black bettles  >:(  ::) but they don't do any harm.  I chuck them outside for the chickens. 

Flies  >:( everywhere: also ladybirds hiding in the double glazing cavity between window and frame  :o

Taz2

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »

I am not sure whats still out in our garden - some pink ones, some red ones, some blue ones  ;D

HnB - am glad you keep forgetting the slug pellets - gives the hedgies a chance!! Though I can appreciate how frustrating it is to plant something and have it eaten up  :(

CLKD there is an explosion of ladybirds at the moment but a lot of them are the Harlequin type which we have to squish - except I can't. I just pretend I haven't seen them which is not a good thing to do. The Harlequin ones give off a smell a bit like nail varnish remover when they are all clustered together for the winter. Just thought you might like to know that! We haven't got any flies here - well the occasional one zooming around the garden. I still have a few wasps.

The Goldfinches are now out in force - 23 at the last count squabbling on the feeders.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »

OK - off to sniff the double glazing  ::) it had crossed my mind that they might be invasive  >:(

Taz2

« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2009, 02:59:09 PM »

Have a look at these first http://www.harlequin-survey.org/recognition_and_distinction.htm    If they are Harlequin it helps if you can report them - a photo helps too - so that their spread can be monitored.

Taz x

Hotnbothered

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2009, 03:25:04 PM »

Hi taz,
I only use slug pellets normally until plants are established. We have a high wall all around our garden, so hedgehogs wouldn't be able to get in.
I used to use a 'hedgehog friendly' powder where we used to live  :)

Taz2

« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2009, 07:17:09 PM »

Ah HnB - just because you have a wall doesn't mean the hedgie wont get in - they have been known to scale walls of 8 feet. They can climb up but not down and once they get to the top they roll themselves into a ball and drop to the ground. There is some info here - you need to scroll down to the info facts at the bottom to find out about wall climbing.

Mind you if you were being visited you would find the droppings.

Did the hedgie friendly powder work?

Taz x

Hotnbothered

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2009, 03:24:22 PM »

Yes it did, you could sprinkle it round plants & water it in.
I remember exactly what the tub looked like, but have not seen any anywhere for ages.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 420