Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 422

Author Topic: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature  (Read 1104217 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Wild Birds and all things to do with Nature
« Reply #4140 on: July 14, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »

They went from the village.  For reasons unknown  :-\.   Not many swifts, swallows either this year.   Glad that you have some!

Taz2

« Reply #4141 on: July 16, 2018, 03:18:41 PM »

The penis hangs below the skirt Taz ........ male is up on his feet showing all he owns.  Girls are closer to the ground.

The penis can hang below the skirt if they are just ready to mate but otherwise the penis is held within it's sheath well up in the tummy area and is not visible. http://www.hedgehog-rescue.org.uk/sexing.php. Hope yours manages to get his fun! Maybe a naughty female got him so far and ran off leaving him unfulfilled! Often the tail is held in such a way that it's mistaken for a penis. Many a night I've spent trying to work out which sex they are before delivering them to Rescue.  ;D

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4142 on: July 16, 2018, 09:36:31 PM »

We have seen our male many times on film Taz it really is simple.  He also walks on tiptoe whereas the girls are lower to the ground.  Never seen in the garden at the same time - he is usually hours after they have been, fed and gone  ::)

I can't see that the small tail can ever be confused with a penis - it's in a different place on the body as seen on our film of our Boy feeding; he walked past the camera with penis on show and turned into the bowl, his tail was obvious - it points in a different direction for a start.

We had a good view of a female on camera as she left the feeding bowl earlier .......... tail up .............
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:44:54 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #4143 on: July 20, 2018, 04:05:11 PM »

Can anyone tell me the difference in nutrienal values between earth worms and live meal worms? [pity I can't spell  ::)]

Taz2

« Reply #4144 on: July 20, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »

Anything here? www.hedgehogstreet.org/forums/topic/what-to

Getting back to the penis question  ;D it should be nicely tucked away inside it's sheath up in the tummy so it looks like a little button. There is a condition where the penis fails to retract and remains dangling though usually due to infection.  :-\

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4145 on: July 20, 2018, 08:04:14 PM »

Yesterday a weeny wren fell out of a nest in our garden.  It and the equally tiny mother bird were calling to each other for several hours and the mother kept swooping down to feed it.  I havent seen it at all today so I hope its alright.

CLKD

« Reply #4146 on: July 20, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »

It has probably flown with the mother PF.  We haven't heard/seen our wren for a few days now, probably off moulting  ::)

Taz - there's always an exception to the Rule and he is feeding with gusto.  Tnx for the Link but I can never access it  ::)

Earlier we had rain  :o and now gentle drizzle.  There were adult frogs everywhere  ;D ......... jumping for joy?

Taz2

« Reply #4147 on: July 20, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »

I just meant that it's not normal. I'm glad he's ok. Hopefully he's put it to good use before it got stuck! If you Google Hedgehog Street nutrition it should bring up the info

Taz

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4148 on: July 21, 2018, 08:19:19 AM »

It has probably flown with the mother PF.  We haven't heard/seen our wren for a few days now, probably off moulting  ::)

Taz - there's always an exception to the Rule and he is feeding with gusto.  Tnx for the Link but I can never access it  ::)

Earlier we had rain  :o and now gentle drizzle.  There were adult frogs everywhere  ;D ......... jumping for joy?

It can only hop slightly and has hardly any feathers. I think its too young to fly.

CLKD

« Reply #4149 on: July 21, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »

Can you see the nest, perhaps put it back? 

Dierdre

« Reply #4150 on: July 21, 2018, 09:29:18 AM »

Since this really hot weather my garden has become a bit of a wildlife park but not in a good way I'm afraid. I was woke up at 2.30an to an awful noise in the garden, opened my bedroom window fearing my cats were being attacked. The security light came on to show a badger killing a hedgehog, it then ran off with it. This morning a fox came out my old Wendy house that the cats use for shelter, so had to close that off. I'm trying now to keep the cats in but they just keep waking me up to go out and don't want to stay indoors during this heat, although the fox didn't seem to bother them I'm worried about the badger.

CLKD

« Reply #4151 on: July 21, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »

How awful.  People don't realise that badgers will hunt down and kill anything meaty, including 'hogs  :'(

Can your cats climb?  I think that in general they are more savvy about other critters in their territory. 

Dierdre

« Reply #4152 on: July 21, 2018, 09:45:52 AM »

Yes the're active cats and I have a large apple tree they can retreat to if needed. I've moved in the back bedroom as cooler and starting to hear things out there now that have always been there. The horses in the field are munching on grass most of the night too, what's left of it.

CLKD

« Reply #4153 on: July 21, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »

That reminds me of camping many years ago; we were woken in the early hours by cows, munching on the other side of the hedge  ;D.  Put the hairs up on the back of my neck  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #4154 on: July 22, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »

Some of the 'hogs seen on night camera appear to have ticks feeding.  One has 4/5 on one side of the body.  What would be necessary?

Tiggywinkles says to leave well alone  :-\
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:44:07 PM by CLKD »
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 422