Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 82

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 163777 times)

rebecca

Re: Cycling
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 08:26:42 AM »

I am planning to use my bike for work and pleasure  Bramble -
You can check the scheme out here  http://www.cycletoworknow.com/

The scheme allows you to purchase the bike of your choice at a reduced rate if your employer agrees you set up a contract over 12-18 months to pay for it gradually, you also save on the VAT.  They have Claud Butler bikes here also  ;D

I also got very tight shoulders but I adjusted the saddle to the right height and my shoulders were much better the next time I rode the bike.  If anyone finds some decently priced bike clothes - do let me know I had a shock when I went into my local shop, they were really expensive.

Rebecca 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 06:02:44 PM »

Rebecca - that sounds a great scheme.

My best bargains in cycling clothes (and bike accessories) have come from Lidl. If you don't use Lidl they have certain themes - say gardening, cycling, horse-riding and that's the only time you can get them.  If you go on to the Lidl site and request them to email you each week with the bargains, you can then be first in the queue.  I have seen whole groups of cyclists waiting for the shop to open!! ;)  Aldi also operate the same way.  Cycling theme must be due pretty soon as we haven't had one for a while! ;)

I've had cycling shorts (padded, anti-sweat and washed a zillion times and still like new) for about £6.  I've had cycling tops, jackets, reflective stuff etc and everything has been marvellous value and great quality.

lolly

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »

Your all so fit put me to shame well done all of you.

Taz2

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 06:11:54 PM »

I feel the same Polly - not sure where to start. Don't think I could cycle if the exercise bike I tried was anything to go by. Only made half a kilometre!!

Taz x

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »

Taz & Polly - just take it easy and enjoy it!!  It's just lovely being out in the fresh air and if you can get someone to go with you it's nice to have company. It is much better than riding an exercise bike - no comparison at all.

When my friend decided to join me, the first evening she managed about a mile and was absolutely shattered. (She was very overweight BTW)  I said "we'll turn back when you feel like it.  No pressure!"  She turned the bike round there and then and we headed slowly for home.  ;D

Each time I went out I asked her to come, sometimes she did, sometimes she was too tired & I went alone but each time she went a little further.  She was then doing 5 miles and I think the most she's done with me is 20 miles. 

For a fair old time I was not using the gears on my bike to the best of their ability and after the male members of my family intervened, I have to admit that their lessons helped! ::)

lolly

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »

I live in the city, But got a bike years ago to cycle to work as got up early hours to work. Bought helmet lights trousers all the stuff looked wonderful ;D but would only ride on pavements to afraid on roads. But did come off it when turning a corner as a woman walking towards me to avoid her (felt such a fool)
Stoped working early hours not been on bike since probably about nine years now''''
But it is good exercise and I applaude you all

bramble

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »

I think riding a real bike is much easier than riding an exercise bike - don't know why but I found it to be so!
Had a not very good bike ride today. Tossed up whether to take my fleece or my waterproof jacket with me. Opted for fleece as it was kinda cold. Wrong choice. Was about 3 miles out when the heavens opened. Stuck it out for another 2 miles then turned and headed for home. By the time I got back to the car I was very cold and very very wet! But still - another 10 miles on the clock!

bramble

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 08:44:58 PM »

Forgot to say Rebecca that I have found Lidl and Aldi both good for walking gear so I guess their cycling stuff is of the same quality and value. You got to be early though when the shop opens as they don't always have a lot of what's on offer.
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »

I'll be checking out Aldi and Lidl shortly Bramble - thanks for that.

How do you clock you mileage done? Can you recommend a good gadget to fit to the bike?  Mine is VERY complicated and has stopped working!!!

Will let you know when my bike arrives  ;)

Officially lost below the 2 stone mark now - but need to shift another 2 stone to hopefully get into size 10 again (was size 20)  :o
I don't tell too many people that as I'm not particularly proud !!!  :-\  I'll be stepping up my bike rides to burn off more fat  :rofl:

Rebecca

bramble

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2009, 11:15:07 AM »

Rebecca,
I have a cycle computer. It is a wired one but there are lots of wireless ones around now. I find it very easy to use and it is a great incentive. It is made by Krippel-Watches and I think I got it out of Argos. It's got 20 functions although I am sure they are all pretty much the same. Although it keeps clocking up the miles on the odometer, I have reset it at the start of every week so I will be able to check weekly mileage and elapsed riding time and average speed. It switches itself off automatically to save battery life. I do so like gadgets.
You must have some determination to lose so much weight - you should feel very proud of yourself. I hope the next few stones will come off easily for you. Bikes a go-go!
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2009, 05:42:57 PM »

Determination and desperation I think Bramble.

Have just ordered my cycle computer -  http://www.cycletoworknow.com:80/cart/details/150/sigma-bc906-computer-product-information
No stopping me now! 

Rebecca  ;D

bramble

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »

I'll order the lycra Rebecca!
I thought I would have a change today and cycle along the canal path - nice and flat I thought and one I had walked along loads of times. No! Now really know why canals have locks - so boats can go uphill! Really tired when I got back to the car! However, another 9 miles - can't cycle much this coming week as busy busy so am trying to get my mileage in quickly. Think I will return to the tarmac cycle path next time and give the canal a miss until I am fitter!
Must get a bottle holder when I'm next in town as I ran out of water today - it was so hot!
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 02:01:26 PM »

Don't know if this cheers me up or not (from the cycle to work web site). For my BMI it would take 13 hours to burn off 6700 calories which is equivalent to 2 lbs! So cycling 3-4 times a week for an hour at a time, I will lose 2 lbs a month. Mmmmm..........May have to cut out the choccie biscuits after all!
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »

Or only have half the amount of biccies ? Been too hot for me to go out on my bike today so did gardening instead  ;)

bramble

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »

Got rained on again today! But kept going! I don't think it is getting any easier yet - but I did 14 miles today and don't feel too bad. So maybe I am getting better slowly.
Bramble
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 82