Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 166883 times)

bramble

Re: Cycling
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »

Micki,
I am not brave enough to cycle on the roads with traffic. Fortunately there is a cycle path a few miles from me so I just put my bike into the car. I also have some forest tracks close at hand so am very lucky to have a choice.
Bramble

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 11:42:13 AM »

Micki - you'll love it and it's great exercise! :)  I am lucky in that I live in the country and can go on back roads for miles.  I also have a bike rack if I feel like cycling a bit further afield.  Bike racks are not that expensive and you can often get them on special offers. 

A tip - before you buy a new bike make sure that they allow you to test ride it. ;)  After all, it's a fair outlay and you want it to be right for you for some time to come.  I went with a friend to buy her new bike at one of the nationwide bike/car accessory showrooms and I was horrified that she was only allowed to sit on it!  What good is that?   ::)I went to an independent shop and he had a great selection of bikes and his prices were as good as the "big boys".  He let me ride on several .... down the road and back again (as many times as I liked ;)) he advised me on things I wasn't sure about and gave me a discount card for future purchases with him.  We were so impressed with his helpfulness that hubby decided he'd treat himself to a new bike too and he did us an even better deal on the 2!! :) Also, don't forget a helmet!!

bramble

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »

Here is my stake in the ground:
Week 1 - 20 miles - 5ft 5in and 9st 10lbs (at least 10lbs to lose so fingers crossed!)

Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 06:03:28 PM »

Hi Bramble

Sorry I missed your question - just read it now - I think I must do about 10-14 miles an hour - went to Halfords and bought one of those cycleometers's but mine decided not to work - so I must take the bike into Halfords for them to look at it!

Well done with your week 1, I havn't started mine yet due to my daughters exams (I'm sure I am more stressed about it than they are!)  :(

Will be watching your progress though ! and look to start myself shortly.

Rebecca  ;) 

bramble

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »

Rebecca,
Did you start off gradually with your cycling and how long was it before you noticed you were getting fitter? I am feeling a bit tired today (day off cycling) but I guess the one thing the cycling programme doesn't take into consideration is age! Perhaps I should have started more slowly. Will see how this week goes with 25 miles then might drop back down to 20 and back up to 25 and then 30........... Mmmmmm. May be more to this than meets the eye!

:gym:
Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »

Go as far as you feel able to.  Stop occasionally and enjoy the view.  Take a drink/snack, stop, listen to the birds.  It's not a race  ;) ...... I try to go as far as I can but keeping in mind the stamina needed for the return trip  ???

rebecca

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 07:04:15 AM »

Hi Bramble

I started off doing 20 mins, then 40 mins then an hour. I also sterted off on fairly flat surfaces i.e canal path and forest, then took on the inclines gradually. Started noticing a difference in my fitness after 3 weeks - at first my face was VERY RED but after a time this was not so intense, also noticed that I slept better at night. If I don't exercise during the day now I tend to wake up at 2/4 am and have trouble dropping off again  >:(

I used to cycle sometimes with hubby (he is a little younger than me, so proved a challenge to me  :o

Have just ordered myself a new raleigh bike on the cycle to work scheme- should be delivered next week.  I intend getting a bike carrier for the car and going further afield as it may get boring taking the same 3 routes locally.  As CLKD says, I am going to take a snack and stop and enjoy surroundings.  :) 

Happy cycling  ;)

Rebecca   

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 07:58:30 AM »

We cycled everywhere as kids.  Only 1 car in the family in those days.  Hubby and I used to go courting on our cycles, we travelled miles at weekends.  Distances I wouldn't consider these days  ::) ......... we're getting 'into' it again now that we have an estate and can load them inside to travel further.

bramble

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »

Was talking to a couple of friends last night who thought I was a bit ambitious with my cycling plan. Partly I agree with them but part of me wants to prove they are wrong. However I have taken on board what they have said and have decided to only do 3 times a week for the first month and see how I get on. I will still stick to the cycle path which is fairly flat and well surfaced so that will be around 8-10 miles a time. I have found the next day that although my legs are not all that sore, across my shoulders is! It either means I am cycling all tensed up (not impossible!) or my bike needs adjusting. Will wait and see what happens. Even when I am only out for an hour I take water and a banana with me and stop half way for a break. I am really enjoying it though despite all.
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

One of our routes is slightly over 7 miles round ....... so when I'm tired I can't face it  ::) .... even though it's enjoyable scenery ........ it's my thighs that give in!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 06:46:11 PM »

Just putting this up in case anyone is reading and thinking about buying a new bike.  I have a hybrid bike and it is wonderful.  When I went to choose a new bike I went with the idea of a mountain bike in my head, because that's what I had before.

The shop owner said "I'll sell you one if that's really what you want but how many mountains do you ride up?"  I was  :-[!!  He suggested a hybrid and said ride it for a week and you'll never part with it.  I ride mainly on roads but do some tracks and trails and it is brilliant on both.  He says a lot of people buy mountain bikes because they "look the business" and they are great if you are always on very rough terrain but they'll hold you back on a road.

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/hybrids.html

bramble

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 07:33:55 PM »

I have often wondered what hybrid bikes are - now I know! They look to be quite lightweight as well. Mine is a folding mountain bike that I can get into the car. Only bought it last year so can't justify changing it yet! I feel as though I am getting to be bike-obsessed. This will probably last until the first week of constant rain! I have been trawling some of the cycle forums in the States - now they are bike-obsessed! A low rider will only do 1000miles a year and most of them do 3000+ with rides upwards of 60 miles at a time! (wonder what their thigh muscles look like!) A whole new world in unfolding!
Congratulations Rebecca on your new bike - do you have to cycle to work on it every day for the scheme to work or only on occasions?
Bramble

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »

Thanks for that Penny - a friend of mine has a really old Claud Butler - wouldn't part with it for the world.

For those of you wishing to explore cycle tracks on holiday I have always looked at this one http://www.devon.gov.uk/tarkatrail.htm and wished I was a cyclist. Maybe one day I will give it a go.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »

Ooooh - and i could even hire a hybrid - no excuse for me now  ::)  http://www.tarkabikes.co.uk/Tariff.html

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »

Glad to be of help girls.  Taz - that's a great idea actually about hiring one and putting it through its paces before spending.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 82