Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 82

Author Topic: Cycling  (Read 163721 times)

bramble

Cycling
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:07:35 PM »

Just got my bike out of the shed and dusted it down for the summer. I came across on the net, a cycling programme (for those intending to do long charity runs) which lasts for 20 weeks. Starts off with 2 20min runs and a 1 hour run in the first week building up to 180 miles per week at the end of the 20 weeks training. Don't intend to take it that far but thought I would at least follow it until week 10 which is still 3 times a week but covering 50-60 miles in total. Maybe even that is a bit optimistic but I would like to shift a few pounds so that I can fit into my jeans more comfortably!
I had forgotten how much I enjoyed being on my bike so I hope I can stick to it.
Anybody got any tips, hints etc.

Bramble

rebecca

Re: Cycling
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »

Hi Bramble

I have started biking again (in the past 3 months) I do an hour every evening adn go up and down hillsto make my muscles work harder - I have lost 2 stone in weight. Would you mind sharing the cycling programme you found on the net as I would like to keep losing weight (another 2 stone if poss).

I too have found cycling VERY enjoyable seeing all the wildlife (rabbits, deers, foxes) and it certainly lifted my spirits .
I have been cycling locally but want to get stronger to go further afield.

I saw an advert for lady volunteers to cycle across the great wall of China but you needed sponsorship of at least £3,300 and I was not sure I could raise anywhere near that amount!  ???

Rebecca (Not in lycra yet! )

bramble

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »

Hi Rebecca,
I will pm you the training programme. As I said, it does start off very gradually but it looks as though you could start at week 4 if you are doing an hour every night.  Well done with the weight loss - you have done really well! Long may it continue!
Bramble

rebecca

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »

Bramble

Thanks for the training programme and complimenting my weight loss- not easy but certainly worth it - I only hope I manage to keep it off!  ;)

Rebecca

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:02:10 PM »

Well done on losing weight girls. :)

I've been a keen cyclist for several years (hence my name) and have done 15 miles today, then swam 40 lengths and then a 3 mile group walk this evening. I bet you though I will weigh myself at weekend and not have lost an ounce. ::)

I have lost 2sts 4 lbs in the last 13 months and ground to a halt a while back and nothing is shifting it.  For me exercise seems not to alter my weight and I've no idea why :sigh:  I need to lose easily 2 stones more.  I am very fit and feel really healthy but I am a typical "apple" shape and carry it all on the belly.  I had to laugh recently because I went for acupuncture and she said "your legs are SO toned". ;)  Pity about the rest of me ;D

I did the Race for Life recently for cancer research.  Today I had a leaflet from Breast Cancer Campaign and they are promoting cycling events in the UK.

There's the Capital to Coast cycle challenge Sunday 28th June Esher-Hove (30-60 miles)
London to Paris 21-24 Aug. 320 km.  Sounds great!
Lancashire Loop Cycle Sunday 27th September 18, 54 or 100 miles in Lancs.

Further info - [email protected]

Jillymoo

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »

Oooh....only yesterday I was trying to inspire my daughter to go on a short cycling break with me in the summer hols  :)

I haven't been on a bike for years,but am really fancying the open roads,wind whistling through my hair! LOL

(And I wouldn't mind losing another half a stone  ;) )

xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:04:41 AM »

Hubby and I went out a few weekends ago, we parked in a village we know quite well then pedalled off to 3 villages we had never been to, the scenery was lovely: it was SO peaceful, only the birds and occasional cars ...... he has put his bike into the shed andmine is propped in our dining room  ::) for easier access so when/if I get time I can whizz round the village to tone up those thigh muscles.

When we were courting we cycled everywhere as we couldn't afford a car .......... it's one of the best exercises and once the bike is purchased of, it's free  8)

bramble

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »

I am really just a novice cyclist although I have had my new bike for a couple of years now. It is a folding mountain bike which means I can get it into the car easily(!). I am starting out slowly and intend to cycle 3 times a week (following the training programme) but I am still looking for flattish cycle paths! Hills will have to wait a bit until I get fitter! although I did find a couple of years ago that I got fitter quicker when cycling than when I walked a lot.
Bramble
:gym:

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 05:43:21 PM »

Around MK there are lots of cycle paths, pay for a days' parking, put on helmet and peddle away taking picnic and refreshment, good map and goggles.   :clapping:

bramble

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »

Rebecca,
How far do you cycle in an hour? My programme says 10-12 miles an hour but on forest tracks I can't get near that. Probably proper cycle tracks will be quicker?
Bramble

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49:53 PM »

A lot depends on the type of bike/gears people ride as to speed etc. 

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »

For me it depends on the terraine, too many slopes is a good excuse to stop to admire the view  ;) - it's not a race - yet!

bramble

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »

A race - heaven forbid! but I would like to stick to the set distances and times every week. And by the end of the summer I could be a lean, mean, fighting machine!!!!! Or not! Bring on the lycra!
Bramble

bramble

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »

Week one finished - first 20 miles done and dusted. Went to the cycle path today and managed to go a bit faster so it depends on the road surface for me what speed I can get to (and my fitness level as well). Enjoyed it better on the cycle path as well apart from a head wind so think I will stick to that for the next few weeks! Not only was there a piper practising in the layby (what a bonus!) but I met someone I know who was out walking so had a bit of a blether as well. Good result all round! Think I might quite like this cycling lark!
Week 2 about to start and 25 miles to clock up..............
Bramble

Micki

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »

I walked past a lovely pink mountain bike yesterday and it got me thinking. I am soooo tempted to give this a try, but then I remembered the last time I went cycling.  I was so nervous I stayed on the pavement half the time (village roads) and my legs were like jelly when I got back (lack of muscle use and probably sheer terror  ;D ). 
If I lived near some good cycle paths I might give it a go, I used to cycle to a farm ten miles from my home along one of the worst roads in the county to go horseriding as a teenager and never though anything of it.
Good luck with the programme

Micki x
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 82