Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: I am reluctant to go on HRT  (Read 5748 times)

KarineT

I am reluctant to go on HRT
« on: June 14, 2020, 02:06:17 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm either in perimenopause or menopause as I haven't had a period since January this year. My main symptoms are dizziness, anxiety and low mood.  I'm reluctant to go on HRT, unless I can get it in a patch form (oestrogen/progesterone combo), because it's full of chemicals,  I'm worried that I may not be able to wean myself off of it and that I won't know when my periods have ceased for good because the progesterone part causes bleeds. With HRT, one wouldn't know when they've reached menopause unless it's surgical menopause.  I don't feel comfortable not being able to know when my period will cease for good.  I am currently taking some Bach flower drops but I don't know if it will help me in the long term because I'm on my 2nd bottle, just started, and I'm not sure if it's working because it doesn't stop me from feeling weepy and anxious at times.   Has anyone tried Bach Flowers?  I also use Bach Flower Remedies and tey provide comfort and reassurance but it's only for the short term.  Or have you tried anything that helps with these particular symptoms?  Does red  clover work?  I'm looking for something that will help in the long term.  Your advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Karine

Taz2

Re: I am reluctant to go on HRT
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 02:44:50 PM »

Hi KarineT - have you had your blood tested recently? It's important to rule out other causes if you have dizziness - anaemia for example.

I have been on HRT since I was 53 (66 now) and I was still getting fairly regular periods at that point. I have to say that the HRT has been brilliant at keeping my vaginal/pelvic floor symptoms under control and also for giving me more energy, better sleeping and no more hot flushes/sweats but it didn't help with my anxiety or low mood. Lots of women on here use full HRT but also have to have something extra for anxiety and low mood.

I don't think you would have any problems getting prescribed a patch HRT - I was put straight onto patches when I asked for them so don't let that put you off should you begin to suffer more menopausal symptoms and decide to try HRT. At the end of the day it is up to the individual as to whether to go down the HRT route and quality of life is what seems to be the deciding factor in most cases.

Taz x  :hug:

KarineT

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2020, 03:58:26 PM »

Jaypo, I looked at CBD oil and I think it's available from H&B.  Isn't it derived from cannabis though? Taz2, the emotional side of the menopause is what's troubling me most and I do hope that it will ease off once I've reached the menopause.  That's why I hope it won"t take too long before this happens. I really don't fancy 10 years of this.  In terms of dizziness, I've had this since 2018,  I had loads of tests as I couldn"t figure out what was wrong with me. At one point I thought I was seriously ill but they didn't find anything so there's nothing medically wrong with me.  I put it down to the menopause.  As for my blood pressure, it goes up and down. I had it checked and  I was put on a 24 hour monitor.  Everything is fine.  If anything, my blood pressure could go up from time to time but if this happens it does not cause dizziness, unless it's extremely high.  Low blood pressure in comparison causes dizziness but I don't suffer from low blood pressure.

KarineT

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »

Also, I had two blood tests, and one more recently, and I'm fine.

Eviepf

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 04:15:06 PM »

Hi Karine

I just wanted to say that if you do decide to try CBD oil, have a look online at Simply CBD. The different kinds and strengths of oil look confusing, but the people there are very knowledgeable and there is also a Facebook group, Simply CBD users support where you can ask questions and get info about how to start using it (you have to start slowly and build up, to get the benefit - it's all about 'waking up' the relevant receptors in your body). CBD is one of the oils derived from cannabis, but is not the one that makes you high.

I tried it and it didn't help me, but I know others who have found it beneficial.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 04:18:14 PM »

What worries you the most?  One cannot become addicted to Hormone Replacement Therapy.  HRT can ease awful symptoms which some suffer from.

Which 'chemicals' bother you?  Some can be sensitive to the fillers or packaging in many products, including HRT.  Some find that patches cause itching.  Unless 1 tries, 1 won't know.

Maybe keep a mood/symptom/food diary, I think I suggested this in another thread?  It gives an idea of how we really feel as well as ticking the better days.  Decide which symptom you would like to ease first.  Have a chat with a Practice Nurse and see if they are on the ball with menopause treatments, sadly many are not.  You don't have to sign up for anything immediately, maybe make a note of suggestions and type the product name into the search box here.  Make notes ;-).

HRT helps protect heart and bones ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »

I'm glad that you have had your bloods done as it's not only menopause which can lead to the cessation of periods.

I was just making the point that the end of periods can, for some women, mean the increase in meno symptoms which stands to reason, really, as the oestrogen level continues to drop. Have you had a look at the menopause symptoms (various stages) from this site? https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/symptoms.php

The fluctuating hormones will eventually settle down following the last period but it can take up to two years.  I'm pleased that you don't get hot flushes - that's what drove me to HRT to be honest.

I do hope that your dizziness gets better soon. Does it stop you from driving etc and have you had your ears checked? Sounds daft I know but this can cause dizziness.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 04:24:22 PM »

As can having a trapped nerve in the neck.  Or low blood sugar due to hormone upheaval. 

KarineT

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 06:02:31 PM »

I've had my ears checked. I've had a balance test and also an MRI.  Everything is fine so the dizziness is definitely menopause-related.  As for a trapped nerve  in the neck,I there's a simple test that can be done at home.  I've done it and I don't appear to have this condition either. HRT might not help with my emotional upheavals.  But I'm trying various things at the moment and if nothing works, HRT will be a last resort for me.

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »

My anxiety and insomnia were cured by hrt. If your anxiety started with peri it's very likely yours will be too. It helped low mood too though testosterone made more difference. I'm late peri and can tell when I have a 'normal' cycle rather than a hrt induced one. I have no period symptoms on the ones that would be a missed cycle. I don't believe there's any evidence that meno symptoms last longer if you're on HRT but for me quality of life is important, I would rather feel well for the next few years even if meno symptoms last longer. There's no age limit now so you can take it for as long as you need it.
I know you're reluctant to take hrt but I see no point in suffering when you don't have to. I hope you find something but I don't think there's anything that will replace your missing oestrogen except for oestrogen. You're right to want transdermal hrt if you use it at all as it's safer.

Emerald2017

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 09:44:06 PM »

Hi! I can feel you! I was very afraid to use hrt when I diagnosed with early meno at 42. Now I am 3 years on it and I feel normal, no symptoms and it gave my life back. It actually supplies our body with hormones our ovaries don’t produce, it is chemical but it acts with a natural way...:)

Paz23

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »

There is a huge misconception that herbal/alternative remedies are safer than medication/drugs etc. People seem to think because they are mostly directed from plants and are bought over the counter they are safer for their bodies, actually this is not true and in some cases the complete opposite is true. They haven’t undergone the same rigours and testing for safeness and very little long term research has been carried out to test side effects etc.
I’ve recently stopped using star flower supplements - I was getting unexplained bruising all over my legs, every day for weeks and had convinced myself it was leukaemia. However after doing lots of digging and researching I concluded it might be the star oil. So I stopped taking it and have got no more bruises. It comes with no leaflet and no warnings of potential side effects but if you research it’s very interesting what you can find.
And the oestrogen we take in HRT is as close to the oestrogen our body makes as possible, so we are not putting anything foreign into our bodies, just what should have been all our lives anyway.
Not trying to convince anybody, people have to choose what is right for them but I also believe decisions should be based in fact and not assumptions.
How many people took opiates in the past, like heroin, thinking it’s must be safe because it’s made from a plant?
I wanted to buy something to help my husband sleep as he was stressed, the pharmacist activity discouraged me from buying a herbal tablet from the shelf and said they aren’t safer just because they are herbal and there hasn’t been enough research to know the side effects. I bought them anyway which my husband used twice and both times woke up the next morning feeling shocking and has never used them again.

MegnB

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »

I felt the same.
Information from a qualified gyn, this forum, and other resources can help you sift through your options. TBH, I've tried quite a few approaches, but you need to find the one for YOU, which requires patience and determination. I came across a website of a US based ob/gyn who made tons of informative videos about various options. She's...a character. I got nosy and checked her qualifications and background to make sure she was speaking from a place of knowledge. I learned the difference between bio identical, synthetic, dietary, botanical, herbal options, SERMs etc. She does not recommend, she just informs. I watch the videos on 1.5 speed :D.  Start with the welcome video https://menopausetaylor.me/videos/
It was especially eye-opening to find out the difference between bioidentical compounded/pharmaceutical and non-bioidentical/synthetic (not what I thought it meant) pharmaceuticals. Knowledge is power and we all have lots to learn!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:52:41 PM by MegnB »