Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anxiety when leaving home  (Read 1439 times)

Dorothy

Anxiety when leaving home
« on: June 12, 2020, 07:45:59 PM »

Has anyone else experienced this since lockdown started?

I'm getting really anxious and tense whenever I have to leave the house.

It started after the first couple of weeks in lockdown, where I had very little work and went for 2-4 days at a time without going out, except to walk my dog. 

I started off being on edge if I had to do a job that was further away from home (e.g. 30 minute drive).  Then I started getting nervous working nearer home too.  Then I became stressed if I even had to go to the supermarket and the last couple of days, even taking the dog out is hugely stressful (we literally just walk the streets around my home, so never more than about 10 minutes walk from my front door). 

It's not fear of getting Covid - the best explanation I can give is that I just feel overwhelmed by the size of the world out there.

I'm in Wales, so our lockdown hasn't really eased in any meaningful way - we're now allowed to leave home more than once a day for exercise and can travel up to 5 miles for it.  We can also travel up to 5 miles to meet with someone else outside and 6 feet apart, but none of my family or friends live within 5 miles, so that doesn't affect me.

Work is gradually increasing, which is great from a financial point of view as I've not had enough coming in to pay rent & food and am going into debt, but at the same time, the more I'm out, the more stressed I'm getting.  Everyone keeps talking about how great it will be to be able to get out more, and until recently, I've agreed with them.  But the last week or two, I've just been feeling panic, as I'll be expected to go out even more. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety when leaving home
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 08:05:13 PM »

I've always been like that prior to a holiday.  OK until I've booked it.

Also: lock down has been great 4 me.  No anxiety because I haven't had to plan, decide, go anywhere - 'cos Boris said 'no'. 

Now that we can begin to go out again all our hobbies are available but it reminds me of how busy we were.  We enjoy being together but I can feel already that our Life will become full on.  Again.  With distancing.

So I don't think you are unusual.  Do you have hobbies outside of work?

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »

Mostly I read.  Also like taking photos, but I've sort of lost interest in that since lockdown.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 09:00:41 AM »

We have an appt at 11.00 on Monday and I woke this morning full of anxiety.  Then DH explained that it's Sat..  So background worry is there  :-\

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2020, 06:36:34 PM »

I'm so sorry - I hope today has been more restful for you and that you aren't too stressed by going out tomorrow x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »

Tnx.  It's the morning that is the worst.   Even though I've been to the place lots of times  ::)