Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Throat worry  (Read 7729 times)

Patsie

Throat worry
« on: June 10, 2020, 06:19:22 PM »

Hi

Has anyone with a hiatus hernia experienced a sore throat? For the past 3 months I have had soreness when swallowing.  It is more on one side than the other and feels very dry at times as if the back of my throat is coated with catarrh.  I have spoken to GP several times over the 3 months and he increased my PPI to 30mg a day.  Since then there have been odd times where everything felt great then minutes later it hurts when swallowing again. 

Since all the GP talks have been over the phone I am starting to get paranoid that something more sinister is going on and am now getting worried.  I try to tell myself that this is just down to acid reflux and it will get better but can't stop panicking. GP has said to call back in a month and he will then refer me but who knows how long that referral will take.  I think I will be a gibberish wreck by then. 

marge

Re: Throat worry
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »

Hi Patsie, you're not alone. If you do a search on throat issues, you'll find plenty of threads. Have a read; l think you'll find it reassuring.

Donnadoobie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »

Hello Patsie,  I have had throat problems since January.  I was treated for reflux but that didn't do anything and then a post nasal drip and it did go for a couple of weeks but since the lockdown started it has come back again. 

I think a lot of mine is anxiety based but have read on here that many women have phlegmy throat problems and sore throats during menopause.

Doctor did a full blood count and inflammatory marker test but both were normal.

Mine is starting to get me down now.  can't offer any helpful advice, just to let you know you are not on your own.

Patsie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »

Hi Donnadoobie

I have seen your post and can relate.  What worries me is that I have not physically seen my doctor or had any blood tests etc the GP just automatically decided it was my hernia.  After increasing my tablets and not really getting any relief is why I am starting to panic.  Sometimes my ear and neck hurt which makes me worry it's more sinister.  Hoping that when I next call in a month I will actually get seen by someone who will look in my throat or even take a blood test. 

I hope you feel better soon too x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »

It's easy to get into a really anxious state over this and the anxiety can make symptoms worse of course!

I have a hiatus hernia currently treated with 20mg of omeprazole (originally 40mg due to ulceration) My symptoms of a lump in my throat, sore throat on drinking hot drinks, a acid reflux and hiccups after eating are starting to return. I had a phone conversation with my GP this week. I have to take 40mg omeprazole a day for 6 weeks and if symptoms don't improve I will be referred for another gastroscopy to rule out any strictures or cancer. How long have you been on increased dose and how/when do you take it?

Taz x

Patsie

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »

I've been on 30mg of lansoprazole for the past 5 weeks.  Take one at night and one in morning.  My symptoms are feeling there is something stuck in throat and sore on right hand side and it's as if my throat is coated in phlegm.   Don't get any other symptoms.  I do have a stuffy nose as when this all started I just thought I had a cold coming on but now after 3 months I'm not sure.  Don't really want to go for another gastroscopy had to wait 18 weeks for the last one and with the present situation who knows how long the waiting list will be this time.

Patsie

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »

Can I ask Taz2 do you ever have to have any follow up checks as I have not seen anyone since being diagnosed in 2018 and was told to take the PPI as and when required

Morwenna

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »

Google LPR and 'silent reflux' - a common cause of these symptoms. I'm a longtime sufferer of GERD caused by hiatus hernia and have been experiencing similar throat issues just recently. My GP increased my Lansoprazole dosage from 15 to 30mg only yesterday so I'm crossing my fingers that it works - I'll do anything to avoid another endoscopy!

Hezdah

• First Flush
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 10:26:26 AM »

I'm really finding that my heartburn has got a lot worse in the past week, anything i eat or drink sets it off. Omeprazole does nothing, Lansoprazole gives me diarrhoea :'(. I'm surviving with Gaviscon liquid after every meal and before bed. Had an endoscopy a few years ago and diagnosed with gastritis - caused by stress. This is different though. I know i will have to contact GP again as worried it may be something sinister and just making symtoms worse. :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 11:11:39 AM »

Hezdah - HI!  gastritis - inflammation of the gastric tract - itis = inflammation [appendicitis for example]

Where you given any treatment?

Have you tried simple remedies i.e. Milk of Magnesia liquid .  Or colpermin capsules, the idea being to swallow one within the hour of eating your main meals.  It eases upper gut wind .  After a few days of those my pooh smelt of peppermint  :D but it certainly helped symptoms of intense nausea immediately after eating.

Dry biscuits can line the stomach - Rich Tea are very good as are ginger biscuits.  How is your diet overall?  Maybe eat little and often, sticking to bland foods i.e. grilled or stir fried chicken.  No take away foods or oily grub.  Chicken curry is really good as it has lots of different spices designed to ease the gut.

Think Jewish chicken soup - healing.

I have a constant need to clear my throat due to acid reflux, very annoying.  Omeprazole helps a bit, taken at night, sometimes I need to add one capsule for a couple of mornings to stop it.  Once we begin 2 manage symptoms, it becomes easier.

Hezdah

• First Flush
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 11:57:24 AM »

Thanks CKLD
Certainly going to try your recommendations, worrying definitely makes my symptoms worse too.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 03:16:38 PM »

Worry makes the gut work faster, often producing more bile - it's the fight/flight response, however, knowing the causation of any of my symptoms don't help!!!

I have experimented with food in recent years, making sure that I have slow release muesli for breakfast so that I don't grab rubbish during the morning.  Sometimes that works  ;D.  Do you get the opportunity to batch cook so that you don't grab food that might give you wind = heartburn.

Hiatus hernia is common during peri-menopause as is frozen shoulder - as oestrogen levels drop muscles may Become lax  :(

Hezdah

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 05:27:21 PM »

Thanks Clkd
Yes am being very careful although sometimes even drinking water sets it off.
I'm hoping it's just one of those things and will eventually just abate in time. A couple of my friends report similar symptoms. We all also have elderly parents and grandchildren while holding down a job!! Is it any wonder 🙄

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 06:24:41 PM »

My irritating cough is constant 2day so will need two capsules tomorrow B4 everyone gets fed up with me  ::)

No soreness.   Simply irritating! oh and my stomach is growling even though we've eaten. 

marge

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 08:40:32 PM »

Hi Hezdah, sorry to hear about your throat woes, please try not to panic (easier said than done l know). Mine started last June and went on for months. I tried everything: nasal sprays, anti histamine tablets, cutting out certain foods etc. Nothing worked for long. Then a friend told me she had the same thing and l stopped worrying about it. Touch wood, l've not had a sore throat for about six weeks now. I can't explain it, but l'm very pleased. Anxiety has a lot to answer for.
Pages: [1] 2 3