Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Flashing lights  (Read 1356 times)

shrosphirelass

Flashing lights
« on: May 26, 2020, 04:00:30 PM »

This morning I started to get flashing lights on one side of my peripheral vision. I have had similar visual disturbances very occasionally which were classified as occular migraines, no really bad head after, sometmies a slight headache but no other symptoms. Well today it went on for hours so I started to get very anxious as it has never lasted for for than 20 minutes before. I rang 111 and they said I had to go to an urgent care centre within an hour. Anyway it went off during the long wait and I was advised to be mindful of headaches or numbness in case of a mini stroke or some blocked artery in the head.

Has anyone else had this that lasted longer than the usual 10 -30 minutes that is standard?

Taz2

Re: Flashing lights
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:05:13 PM »

Hi Shropshirelass. I get this but never for longer than thirty minutes. It usually starts in the corner of one eye and gradually sort of whirls across my eye before disappearing. I usually have a slight headache and fatigue after. It's always the same eye. How are you feeling now?

Taz x  :hug:

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »

Hiya,I had this not long ago and went to the optician who told me that....you know those floaters that you get? It was one of them detaching itself but I've also had that ocular migraine but not for hours on end.If it hasn't gone after all this time, I would definitely seek medical help,can you pop to an A&E at all?

shrosphirelass

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »

Yeah mine usually lasts 20 minutes which is why I got really anxious. I was advised to seek urgent treatment so I did go, but by the time I was seen (3 hours later - fair enough)  it had more or less stopped and I just had a slight headache and felt washed out. They didn't really examine me, except to hold a finger up and ask me how many there were and to take my blood pressure and temperature.They said my blood pressure was sky high (because I was anxious, Id guess) and theyd take it again before I left, which they didn't. They said it was just one of those things. They said if I got a bad headache or numbness it could be a mini stroke or some blocked artery in the side of my head? and to go back. I'm feeling better just don't like unexplained things and this was definately out of the ordinary and frightened me. All I really wanted was to talk to a clinican for reassurance but this was not an option.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »

shropshirelass, that sounds like a silent migraine.   They usually last for anything up to an hour so it is unusual for it to last for so long.   That said, I had 5 silent migraines in one day on one occasion after taking norethisterone.

My silent migraines (aura without headache) last for 30 minutes.   They sometimes start with a blind spot but not always.   It's a shimmering zig zag type pattern in the middle of the sight field that gradually disappears to the top.   It is in both eyes.  It leaves me feeling tired and washed out for about 72 hours.   Mine are caused by generic hormone instability and oestrogen spikes.

Are you using HRT?   

shrosphirelass

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 08:01:32 PM »

Yeah my occular migraines sounds similar to what you describe, Mary G. Today's was slightly different as it was just in one eye and one sided and lasted about 2 hours. I have recently changed to evorel conti as my headaches were awful on sequi. Since changing things have been much better, headaches much improved. Fingers crossed this was a one off. I feel a bit rubbish but i think that's partly to do with the huge build up of anxiety.

jaycee

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:44:15 PM »

My son gets these regularly, but only started after he had a mini stroke, but might have just been coincidence as they can happen to anyone at any time,he just gets it in one eye

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 10:28:39 AM »

shropshirelass, it could the change Evorel  sequi to conti that set it off, any hormonal change can trigger a migraine.  You are wise to change to a continuous combined regime, it is better to avoid the fluctuations involved with a cycle.   

I hope the new regime works out for you.