Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: DHEA and oily skin?  (Read 3820 times)

Anna69

DHEA and oily skin?
« on: May 10, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »

My doctor prescribed DHEA as a way to increase testosterone levels naturally. I was put on 20 mg daily and told to take it every other day instead if my skin turned oily. However, even if I take 20 mg every other day, my skin is shiny and looks like it did in my teens with some acne...so I am not sure if taking DHEA is a good idea.
I was put on it after short-term treatment with high doses of cortisone lowered my DHEA levels. My doctor said my lowish DHEA would have cause testosterone levels to drop as well which is why I was put on DHEA.

bear

Re: DHEA and oily skin?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »

Hi Anna69,

I think oily skin is an expected result when taking DHEA, after all all sex hormones are steroids are derived from cholesterol, they are a sort of fatty alcohols... 

Last time I've read about DHEA supplementation I think 10mg daily was the recommended dose, but unfortunately it all depends on which brand you are taking because supplements are not strictly regulated.

BeaR.

Hurdity

Re: DHEA and oily skin?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »

Hi Anna69

I presume you're not in UK as none of this is prescribed here? DHEA isn't even available to buy. Some private unregulated clinics prescribe it at great expense but mostly the approved menopause clinics if they prescribe anything for low testosterone prescribe testosterone itself. It is not clear whether DHEA will also convert to oestrogen and I think is dependent on the levels of each hormone in the body and the target tissues too. There have been some trials with tentatively promising results but these need to be expanded and done properly! There is a licensed form of DHEA approved in UK and that is Intrarosa a pessary for vaginal atrophy. From what I recall it was converted to testosterone and maybe oestrogen in vaginal tissues?

Did you have symptoms of low testosterone? I would suggest if you have low libido and are menopausal then you go for the regulated approved types of bio-identical HRT ie estradiol ( as patch pill or gel) together with progesterone (Utrogestan) and if you have low libido which is not helped by conventional regulated bio-identcial HRT then see if you can get some form of testosterone prescribed off-licence depending where you live.

Are you also taking hRT anyway? It isn't a good idea to take (increase) tesosterone on its own anyway without also increasng oestrogen as you don't want to increase androgenic effects and get out of balance ( ie T dominant).

Hurdity x