News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OCD  (Read 3521 times)

Wrensong

Re: OCD
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 02:33:46 PM »

Haven't followed the forum for a couple of weeks or so, but just had a read & wanted to say great post Dangermouse.  Thankfully I don't have OCD, but that advice sounds excellent.  Stay safe everyone.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2020, 04:21:43 PM »

:thankyou:

Jeepers

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 01:23:36 PM »

Hi TC

I can totally relate. I've started another thread about cleaning, because I am driving myself insane constantly cleaning, feeling like I haven't done it properly and doing it again...

Washing my hands until they are red raw, then I might touch the kettle so I have to go and do it again... Wondering if I did actually song two verses , so doing it again.

Freaking out (inwardly) if anyone in my house touches anything, and having to disinfect it.

Wanting to follow my nephew when he goes out for a walk in case he touches anything or talks to anyone...(I feel ashamed)

I've joined an OCD forum, I'm sure I won't be the only one.

I also feel ashamed that I am getting depressed, when people are really suffering.

Jeepers xx

Jeepers

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 01:28:06 PM »

Dangermouse

Your post is spot on. I have so many rules, and that feeling of control otlr lack of it, is so strong. 

I constantly scour the news, as if I don't I might miss something, and therefore put myself in danger by not realising that there are other rules.

Years ago, when it was in the news about bacon being carcinogenic, I used to get panic attacks if I even walked past bacon in the shops. I know that sounds stupid and laughable, but unfortunately it's true.
Anyway, it was a new rule for me, no more bacon.

Jeepers xx

Tc

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »

I understand completely jeeps.

It's as though my mind is so suggestible. I saw a,film about an acid attack and I developed a phobia about anything which might give a chemical burn or that I might accidentally ingest. . Even everyday things like batteries, When I was young I saw a film about a guy who got badly burned on the belgrano in Falklands. And  i developed a phobia of fire. This still persists to this day but not as bad as it was.

The thing I find myself completely unable to explain is at its worst  I thought I had burned myself when I hadnt. I would constantly say to my partner "does my face look burnt". It's so hard to explain how I couldnt logically know and had to get reassurance. Of course she would say "does it look burnt, does it feel burnt" no then it isnt burnt. " this could happen several times a day. It wore her down. . It's like there is the thought which is "id hate to get burnt" and then somehow and my brain says  "you are burnt". The logical part knew I wasnt but it was overshadowed by this,other part which would say  ",you dont remember it happening but it did"  "why cant you see it in the mirror?"  "Why cant you feel it" and you think your own brain and body are lying to you. 

Does this make sense what I'm saying. It realy does sound crazy to me when I say it out loud   

I remember a, family friend  when I was a kid  who thought she had run someone over every time she drove. She would say,to everyone "did I just run that man over"  time and again through the journey. and once indoors keep repeating  "are you sure I didnt run anyone over" "she stopped driving in the end.

The constant reassurance seeking at one point i just felt so compulsed to do it I just couldnt hold it in.  I did tackle it in therapy. That "thoughts arent facts" . That i had to not say it everytime i wanted to. I did reduce it. I would ask once for every 20 times I wanted to. And tbh although the burning isnt such an issue now other things are. If I get rid of one obsessive issue another takes its place.

Xx

Jeepers

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »

Hi TC

I don't think you are crazy. Well, if you are , then so am I. I think about things in the past, and just believe that the action of thinking about them will bring about some harm.

I spend hours looking for answers to questions, and then don't believe the answer if they don't fit with my current fear. It's like I want to punish myself. I seek reassurance, but then reject it.

Did therapy help? I found CBT was a bit useful, I might do that again.

It's interesting ( but sad too) about your friend who thinks they have run people over.  I have recurring dreams that I have killed someone or more than one, and buried them in the garden. When I wake up I am convinced it's true, and there is a part of me that thinks I have killed someone and it's a repressed memory coming out in my dreams.

Hope you are doing well today TC.. sending love

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 12:24:50 PM »

I witnessed an accident in the 1980s and have wondered since if I caused it to happen .......... [long story short  :-\].  I have no memory of why happened in front of me but I do remember parking up and grabbing the blankets from our car which the Fireman guarded the driver's face whilst he used a cutting machine  :-\

Not OCD but wondering ...........

Ju Ju

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 10:16:21 PM »

I had OCD as a teenager, though it didn't have a name then. Just seen as a symptom of depression. Hand washing was and still is one of the symptoms. At the age of 17, I made a decision to stop fighting it, but to accommodate it and build a good life around it, plus telling friends what was wrong and why I took so long in the loo. Many of the symptoms fell away, but the hand washing persists, which doesn't help the eczema on my hands. I have wondered how OCD sufferers were coping. I have found checking with people I trust whether I need to do things actually helps. Being given instructions how to wash my hands correctly and understanding the science of using soap and water has actually helped me reduce the time I wash my hands! I wondered if wiping shopping that has been delivered was OTT, but DH reassured me it was sensible. Perhaps I don't trust myself.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »

If DH is supportive, it's a back up? 
Pages: 1 [2]