Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coronavirus cleaning  (Read 2233 times)

Jeepers

Coronavirus cleaning
« on: April 14, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »

Hi all

I hope you don't mind me starting this thread.

I am OCD, and part of that is about following rules. But, I am getting really confused being bombarded with different information about keeping our houses virus free.

I'm WFH, but my daughter has to go out to work ( in an office where the management don't adhere to the rules!), so I feel like the house is continuoully contaminated.

So,I wanted to ask what others are doing?
I'm confused about the details... Soap and water are good, but what concentration? Do we rinse off door handles afterwards? Do we dry after that?

Some experts say we have to disinfect as well. Is it okay to have a bowl of diluted bleach and use that? I know we have to let that air dry. Do we go back and wipe off again later?

Also, I have a steam mop and hand held which uses detergent (vax). Is this a good way to kill the virus

I'm off sick today, but usually I'm working, and at the moment I'm getting up at 5.30 to do all of these things, then again in the early evening.

I'm exhausted and stressed, so would love to hear what others are doing.

Much love

Jeepers xx

Salad

Re: Coronavirus cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »

Hi  :)

I watched a TV programme last night about this very subject, something like ?Coronavirus- How clean is your house?
They used a normal splodge of washing up liquid in hot water for pretty much all areas. They used diluted bleach for ?hot spot? areas such as handles, switches, bathrooms and floors.
I thought the programme would be overload, but it really was just being sensible.
Eg Wear one pair of shoes outside and leave by front door, along with coat, when you get in.
Wash clothing/bedding 60 degrees.
They talked about what to do if someone is ill with the virus in the household too.
The main thing was keep washing your hands!

it's worth a watch and may help resolve some of your worries  :D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »

Tnx Salad

That's how I understand it - as soon as it was muted that this Virus was spread by contact, I set to in the house, car, camper, Council bins etc., etc., etc..  All the jay cloths used were boiled that day.  I also have an old toilet brush which I put over the Council bins and a sponge for the handles which can be put into the bin. 

Boiled water with bleach and laundry powder.  Use marigolds if necessary which can be washed under hot water and air dried.  Keep separate for those tasks.

Keep a good distance from others in the streeet/shop etc.

When walking cross the road if necxessarey and practice a cheery wave

Inside I have been using HOT water with laundry powder and a dash of 'domestos' - or meths which can be wiped on to handles etc. with a cloth and allowed to evaporate.  The point is to break down the fatty outer layer of the virus, in other words, it drowns. 

As a 2 person household and we have no visitors ....... I don't have to obsess now that it's done.  If you have a spray thingy make up a dilute mix of bleach in hot soapy water for use around bath taps, shower heads, shower doors ..... squirt and retire.  No need to wipe it will drip off.  Taps daily.  Wipe round the toilets with a dilute mix, as above.  Then spray the toilet brush and handle.  Don't forget window handles .......

That's a good idea about a set of kit for outdoors and indoors.  I'm not that organised but I do carry hand sanitiser when shopping to wipe trolley handles then I do the car doors, gear stick and steering wheel; don't forget the boot.  The one thing I keep forgetting is the wooden stair rail  ::).

Boil wash towels, flannels etc. and sheets/pillow slips.  Allow to dry on the line in the sunshine if necessary. 

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:36:36 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 03:38:56 PM »

Also - make a list to tick off so that you know you have done the chores, morning, afternoon and after your evening routine.

I did the remote controls and 'phones once ........ and light switches, once.  If there are more in the house you might like to do those morning and night.  Or get others in the house to help ......

Jeepers

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »

Clod

I must read more carefully. I read that you cleaned your bin with an old toothbrush, that really made me laugh.

Okay, so I?ll do that then , hot water with washing up liquid or household soap, and a squirt of bleach.  I don't think I've got any squirt bottles (trigger), as I only usually use bleach and cig. I worry about breathing in from trigger sprays!

Getting others to help is a battle. My daughter is out working, and my nephew rarely leaves his room. I have to remind him to wash his hands too!

Salad, thanks, I?ll check out that programme , was it itv?

I feel really guilty as well, because I was feeling really dizzy this morning , and so rather than drive my daughter to work, she took the bus. Usually we see buses with one or two people on board, but wouldn't you know it, she said there were 10!,  I must make sure I don't do that again..,

I've been doing taps about 10 times a day! 

I don't think my machine has a boil wash setting. We all have our own hand and bath towels, in both bathrooms.

Good idea about the list, thank you 😊

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 03:54:29 PM »

I squirted the hand wash the wrong way last week  ;D ..........

Well using a toothbrush would be cheaper than going to the Gym?  ;D.  I do the Council bins after they have been emptied each week.

cif is what I have around for the bath/basins as well as lemon juice.  Plus bleach.  Plus a liquid to clean lime scale.  Name escapes me  ::)

Serious about what exactly? 

Jeepers

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 03:54:58 PM »

Which bit?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 03:55:16 PM »

Probably the tooth brush ?  :D

Sparrow

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 04:02:25 PM »

Oh dear, I haven't been doing any of that.

Haven't done anything different apart from washing hands more because I haven't been reading/watching all that stuff.

I haven't been doing it either, just the hand washing.  I'm a bit too fatalistic to believe it will make much difference.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 04:08:04 PM »

Nope.  There's 2 here so it isn't a problem for us.  DH cooks and I clean ........ we have a dishwasher and the laundry gets done at either 40 or 60.  I seem to have been washing laundry more often, on an 'incase I die' basis - 'cos Himself wouldn't have enough undies  ;D

We usually wash hands after blowing a nose, wiping eyes anyway.  I am not over clean  :-\ .  Would rather be in our garden  ;)

It's what makes us comfy in the current situation ....... I'm not good at stepping back when talking to others, I have to give myself a  :kick:

Mainly this thing is caught by contact.  Or when someone breaths who is infected: onto another person, onto a service, onto hands which transfer the Virus ....... I don't trust the supermarkets to keep the trolley handles clean enough and have wiped groceries down B4 putting them into the pantry [there's posh  ;)] apart from canned goods of course as we don't want a surprise when opening them  ;D

It's about what keeps anxiety levels low enough to function. 

Jeepers

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »

I get where you are coming fro. Stellajane.

My bf lives alone, and goes to Sainsbury's once a week. So once he is home, and wiped everything down and washed his hands and door handles, he's good to go.

I'm OCD, and the fact that I can't control my environment ( daughter coming and going to work, nephew moving in after lockdown).

And yes, the supermarket is a complete nightmare

You are right Stella, I am exhausted, mentally and physically.

Jeepers xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »

you have a Plan now Jeepers ....... share it with others in the household and suggest they tell you how they will help. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »

OCD is about the fear of routine being broken etc..  Now that I have done handles etc. and as long as I remember to do the Council bins after emptying and keeping the letter box, car handles wiped as below, I have felt better.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:21 PM »

It's low until my anxiety levels rise.  Usually manifests in continual hand washing but never dusting  ::) - I make a list of when I should wash/rinse and ticking off helps.

I also mutter under my breath which is another type.  Putting the world to rights  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2020, 05:42:14 PM »

I was anorexic from age 3, diagnosed at 5 and ate enough 2 stay upright for years.  Lived on chocolate  ;D
Pages: [1] 2