Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anything work for chronic dry itchy skin and bone dry hair?  (Read 6416 times)

Bananacarnival

Or do I need to start hrt?

I've found sea buckthorn capsules, wondering if any good.

My face is so dry and itchy all day and night. My bladder feels dry and Ovestin or vagifem cause histamine reaction so I can't take it.
Argh. Anything else I can do?

Thank you

Dierdre

Re: Anything work for chronic dry itchy skin and bone dry hair?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 03:13:43 PM »

I use argan oil for my hair. YES products are organic so you might be ok with them, im very sensitive and use them. Cant help with face creams as i use really basic stuff like Avon Rich Moisturisor, been using it for about 40 years as anything else i try causes blotches or spots. I did use Elemis once (christmas pressie) and it was lovely, but its too expensive for me.

Bananacarnival

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »

Thanks dierdre

Kmorris

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 05:58:46 PM »

Olive oil for hair....massage into scalp and through to ends then leave it overnight to soak in then give it a good wash next day.....also use on face but don't let it get in your eyes!
I also use Nivea or Astral moisturiser cream....while we've been in lock down I've been lathering the Nivea on my face and neck and sometimes leaving it on all day.

I've also used the olive oil down below and was fine with it...I have used Olive and Bee intimate cream and that's just Olive oil and beeswax so it's all good stuf.
Hope you fine something that helps. Xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 06:04:10 PM »

Hi.  As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out: skin, scalp, deep in the ears, eyes, nostrils and vagina.  DH uses Nivea on his legs every night.  I like 'vaseline' hand cream in the yellow bottle and have fished out various balms from under the bath including honey preparations. 

Is it the fillers/capsule BananaC rather than the active ingredient in VA treatment?  Have a look-see at 'yes' and 'sylc' websites, you may get free samples ;-).

I find KY jelly adequate for the outer vagina area too. 

Bananacarnival

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 08:43:50 PM »

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Not sure if it's the fillers, my doctor says it's a histamine reaction and estrogen gel rubbed into my thighs might help...

sheila99

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 10:07:46 PM »

Do you have a reason not to take hrt? If, as seems likely, it's caused by low oestrogen then increasing your oestrogen levels should be the best cure. Do you have other meno symptoms?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 07:55:26 AM »

Why would gel be any different ?   :-\

What does it say on the packets in the products? 

My ears itch this morning  >:(

Bananacarnival

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 08:04:23 AM »

Hi Sheila I'm 48 so perimenopausal. Periods erratic and lots of bladder symptoms. Depression and anxiety and troubled sleep (mostly due to getting up numerous times to wee) yes.
No hot flushes etc.

I'm just not taking hrt because of something an elderly friend once said and it stuck with me...

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 08:08:50 AM »

What was it exactly that has stuck with you.  You would believe a friend  :-\ .......... Quality of Life Girl, Quality of Life.

If you have bladder symptoms get some appropriate vaginal atrophy treatment ASAP - read the threads here, it's very localised.  Without using it I wouldn't be here, it was like razor blades  :o up there.  My GP never hesitated with the prescription.

Bananacarnival

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »

Hi clkd,

I read about VA in depth on these boards plus my urologists always prescribed local estrogen. But I always felt a reaction when I used the stuff so I'd stop. Feeling like vaginal walls swelling up, couldn't wee at all - a retention feeling...

My current doctor says I had a histamine reaction and has prescribed some for me to rub in my thigh.

What my friend said stuck with me... She was 74. Said she had watched so many  of her friends get cancer and they all took hrt and she felt that relieved in some way she hadn't taken it.

sheila99

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »

It's a personal decision but I'd suggest you get fully informed before you make it. Transdermal is safer than oral. Most of the scare stories have been based on either oral or combined. The chances of getting cancer from hrt are lower than if you drink, smoke or are overweight so it makes sense to maintain a healthy lifestyle in any case. Of course as we age the chances of getting cancer increase anyway. I took the view that my life was hardly worth living without it (insomnia, anxiety, lethargy, depressed, bad tempered etc etc) so for me the small increased risk was worth it. At 74 the people your friend knew would have been on oral.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 11:52:30 AM »

At 74 [how many years ago] did your friend ask which particular cancer friends died from?  Cancer kills.  Cancer can be cured or managed.  I had breast disease treatment in the 1990s and wouldn't hesitate to get what is required to ease symptoms.  After all, that bus might be along  ;)

Do read round here and make notes .......... ask away.  Put the product name into the search box and see what pops up?  Getting information in case symptoms get too much to cope with might be the way to go.  Also, some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful to chart progress.

Bananacarnival

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 12:08:40 PM »

Thank you both so much. I do feel clueless at times, fairly new to all this. Does help to have responses such as yours 😊

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 12:38:28 PM »

We're all clueless about things otherwise we wouldn't need each other  ;)

Menopause to most of us is 'end of periods': however  >:(  ::)

Pages: [1] 2