Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: School closures across the UK  (Read 5695 times)

Sparkler

Re: School closures across the UK
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »

We have about 20 each day in the Secondary part and about 30 in the Primary part. it's tough on everyone. I work all day in school, maybe 10 hours, then come home, cry a bit then get on with home stuff. The hardest is the massive contrast between different types of job, where some people are going mad with staying in and being bored, and others are going mad with the pressure of work. Oh and chuck a few hormones in there too!

This isn't the job teachers were trained to do and it is really hard for our staff to learn new skills remotely. They are amazing!

Ju Ju

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 11:23:01 AM »

My GS's teacher is doing a fantastic job. Not only is the programme of work doable for my daughter and her partner, but she also supports and views pupils work online at the end of the day. My GS is enjoying himself, though missing his friends.

Barnacle

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »

This isn't the job teachers were trained to do and it is really hard for our staff to learn new skills remotely. They are amazing!

Yes, i have nothing but praise for my DC's teachers. They have managed to keep their usual timetable going and every day there are three lessons online, and everything which can be marked is marked, plus they leave really nice, encouring messages for them too.

They are brilliant!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2020, 12:40:27 PM »

Probably better than being in school?  After all, this works in the Outback  ;D

Barnacle

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2020, 01:45:02 PM »

Well, the mornings are a lot less stressful. No more having to get them down to the bus stop at 07.45. They are both getting up at their normal time and log on at about 9.00. They work until lunch and then start again at 14.00.
They are missing their friends, although manage to catch up with them via Snapchat in the evening and DS can still play games with them online.

CLKD

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 02:01:17 PM »

Missing friends, ain't they all on line anyway  :-\

Barnacle

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 02:04:19 PM »

No, in DD's little group of 6, one isn't even allowed a phone and another cannot use any form of social media.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2020, 02:14:19 PM »

At last proper contact ;-). A skill that is quickly being lost.

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »

I was never allowed to be bored!  Don't kids know how to entertain themselves now ...... crayons, colouring in, majic painting books, TV , dolls, farms, tractors to push along the carpet ........

Ju Ju

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2020, 12:59:31 AM »

I was never bored. Always played imaginary games on my own. My children were the same as is my GS. Give him Lego and he's happy for hours. Some children do need stimulation though and can be demanding. My granddaughter for example. Her younger brother is not demanding as he has been entertained by his sister's antics since he was born. it's an individual thing.

Countrygirl

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2020, 05:28:25 AM »

My daughter was good at keeping herself occupied when she was younger, but she had to with being an only child, but when she hit the teens bored was her most used word and still is at the grand old age of 15 x

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2020, 09:47:36 AM »

Bored?  Mum made me dust my bedroom if I even yawned  ;D but she was a teacher to had lots of ideas ........ make believe was more prominent in the 1950s, I believe that many children have lost the skill and/or patience to make up stories. 

From a very noisy, disturbed household I knew how to keep my head down so lived in my head a lot.  We had dolls, teddies, Fuzzy Felts, but no Lego  >:(

If we are going somewhere exciting then I get bored if the day doesn't go quickly enough  ::).  When my mind is bored, it goes to sleep  ;)

Dierdre

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:00 AM »

Just seen our school rota timetable, goes through the summer holiday till September. Going to be a long haul, i suspected it would but still hard to digest.

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 09:12:23 AM »

Keeping to routine is helpful with lots of play and relaxation in between.  We had I-spy books is that something you could access for children?  Or writing essays, maybe a theme: teddy bears' picnic , a visit to the village shop/seaside/cinema [do people still do the cinema thing  :-\]

My  :) still here .......... did you dust the screen stellajane? ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »

;D ..... over-worked?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4