Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: School closures across the UK  (Read 5692 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
School closures across the UK
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:42:17 AM »

Are happening

Except for children of key workers: NHS Staff; firemen; teachers; GPs; ........... there's a whole raft of children who will remain in school including the vulnerable.

Many families with children at home will require help with providing extra meals.

Taz2

Re: School closures across the UK
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:20 AM »

Can't we put all of these coronavirus threads together?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 07:21:37 PM »

That is why I started a new thread.  This is moving so quickly that any news will be lost.  I've been away since 7.30 a.m. and the main thread has grown  :(

So reading the headlines will encourage people to head to what interests them.

Apparently children won't be taught.  They will be supervised. 

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 01:10:38 AM »

Children will be taught as normally as possible. Schools are joining together and teachers will plan and teach. Those children at home are given online access to homework or if they do not have internet access the work will be delivered and collected. My head teacher is still hard at work right now trying to sort it all out with other heads. All staff are determined that pupils will suffer as little as possible through these worrying times.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 09:09:09 AM »

This is variable then as the children across the road, their school will supervise only.  So many staff off so subjects won't be covered. 

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 10:57:13 AM »

The schools are being amalgamated into "hubs" decided by the local authority and head teachers and it is expected that there will be enough teaching staff to carry out a basic curriculum. This will begin to be put in place over the weekend ready for rolling out as soon as possible. It is better for the mental well-being of the children if there is structure and they can be doing "normal" learning as much as possible. It is difficult, especially with Mothers Day and Easter coming up when we can't see our own families but have to risk our health to help others, but it's something that we all have to pull together on - a bit like the NHS I feel. There is a great deal of support and camaraderie amongst teachers today. Of course we have nothing to compare it to.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 12:36:39 PM »

:thankyou:

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 01:29:10 PM »

My daughter isn't happy. She's already at home as we care for MIL and can't risk her being exposed to it. She thought she'd be on holiday til September - wrong. Her teachers have come up with a stack of homework and are expecting her to put in the same amount of time.  ;D Sometimes teachers are just too efficient.

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 01:43:21 PM »

The schools are being amalgamated into "hubs" decided by the local authority and head teachers and it is expected that there will be enough teaching staff to carry out a basic curriculum. This will begin to be put in place over the weekend ready for rolling out as soon as possible. It is better for the mental well-being of the children if there is structure and they can be doing "normal" learning as much as possible. It is difficult, especially with Mothers Day and Easter coming up when we can't see our own families but have to risk our health to help others, but it's something that we all have to pull together on - a bit like the NHS I feel. There is a great deal of support and camaraderie
amongst teachers today. Of course we have nothing to compare it to.

Taz x

Your authority must be a lot more organised than ours.  Here they will be more of a babysitter service due to the age range of the children with parents in the permitted group.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 08:03:30 PM by littleminnie »

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 01:07:42 AM »

The schools are being amalgamated into "hubs" decided by the local authority and head teachers and it is expected that there will be enough teaching staff to carry out a basic curriculum. This will begin to be put in place over the weekend ready for rolling out as soon as possible. It is better for the mental well-being of the children if there is structure and they can be doing "normal" learning as much as possible. It is difficult, especially with Mothers Day and Easter coming up when we can't see our own families but have to risk our health to help others, but it's something that we all have to pull together on - a bit like the NHS I feel. There is a great deal of support and camaraderie
amongst teachers today. Of course we have nothing to compare it to.

Taz x

Your authority must be a lot more organised than ours.  Here they will be more of a babysitter service due to the age range of the children with parents in the permitted group.

I spoke too soon. The organisation now seems to have gone out of the window! Good intentions but not sustainable for the possible timescale. Can't pretend to understand it but there will still be learning in an uncurriculum way.

Taz x  :-\

Dierdre

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 09:52:53 AM »

My school is just taking key workers children but we are now classed as a care facility and wont be following the curriculum.  All children on free schools meals will be sent ?20 vouchers for the next 2 weeks to shop at Aldi (weve opted into the local council scheme until the National one kicks in) in the meantime were offering packed lunches that the parents have to collect. Im trying to isolate in my office and will work from home some of the time, this will be continuing through all the school holidays too.  It was sad to see the children go yesterday knowing year 6 probably wont be back.

Dierdre

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 07:59:28 PM »

No, we didnt tell them, but they knew.  They will all go on to the same secondary feeder school so will see each other again there.

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »

I won't be seeing my children and grandchildren for the foreseeable future. Thank goodness for FaceTime.

My DD and GS started their first morning of homeschooling. They are very fortunate that they have clear and well thought out lesson plans sent online from school. DD's reaction was we can do this!

However, she had a call from a colleague who has two children one of whom is thought to be on the autistic spectrum, but hasn't got a statement in place, has just been given a list of resources. Her son doesn't understand and can't cope with education at home. Home means holiday to him. There are many families who will struggle to attempt education.

I have no doubt my GS will flourish educationally, if not socially.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 02:16:35 PM »

Give 'em a hug?  Then say "granny has a bad back so I would like a wave instead until I feel better" ?  Then practice waving ...... one hand, two hands, waving whilst hopping, skipping ...... that's the kids of course ;-)

I hope that if grandparents have been in regular contact, by now any Virus will have jumped: what is it now, 4/5 weeks since panic began - also if people are in general keeping their distance and children aren't mixing, then the Virus will target someone closer?

These children have been together up until now so hopefully they won't be affected.  Key workers are important - until it becomes known how likely it is for people to be affected, is there any other way?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 04:05:08 PM »

Jeremy Vine  :P hate that programme.  He doesn't listen to anyone, he seems to have an agenda to get through ........

Pages: [1] 2 3 4