Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39

Author Topic: Coronavirus - anyone got it?  (Read 62290 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Coronavirus - anyone got it?
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »

Two women tested positive for C-19 when they arrived in NZ.  They don't know apparently where they may have picked it up  :-\.  To see a relative who was dying ...........

CLKD

« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2020, 03:45:16 PM »

It isn't certain if they are UK Nationals, from NZ or others. ....... Spain wants us, France doesn't  ::) - no surprise there then  :D

Salad

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2020, 03:53:03 PM »

From the UK.No one's going to want us and who can blame them?

I thought the same thing   ;D

CLKD

« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2020, 04:02:39 PM »

;D ............ with weather like we've had, no need to go abroad anyway ;-). 

Sparrow

« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2020, 05:36:15 PM »

They are NZ nationals.

CLKD

« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »

:thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #201 on: June 23, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »

I no longer wake/go to sleep wondering if and when  :-\

We are keeping our distance as much as possible.   However:

Hundreds of workers have tested positive for coronavirus at meat processing plants and abattoirs.
They include a chicken processing site in Anglesey, where more than 150 workers [out of over 580] have become infected with Covid-19, and plants in Wrexham and West Yorkshire. [and Leicestershire]

There have also been major outbreaks in Germany, France, Spain and the US.

Bev Clarkson from the union Unite, says: "Unite has warned time and again that coronavirus outbreaks at meat processing factories throughout the UK were likely".

Why are meat workers getting coronavirus?

People get infected with coronavirus from droplets, which may be coughed, sneezed or exhaled by an infected person.

The infection may come through close contact with the person or by touching infected surfaces.

"Factories and, in particular, indoor areas which are cold and damp, are perfect environments for coronavirus to linger and spread," according to Lawrence Young, Professor of Molecular Oncology at the University of Warwick.

"Virus-containing droplets from infected individuals are more likely to spread, settle and stay viable."

But all these operators are in full PPE ...........  :-\

Also: early on in the pandemic in a hospital an empty isolation room was infected by a virus similar to C-19.  A metal bed was coated with a sample and within 8 hours, it had spread throughout that floor.  ? air conditioning ? : coughs and sneezes even though people were gowned and masked? : this room was a no-go area for those other than who were barrier nursing so there was no reason for entry.

Two hoots

« Reply #202 on: June 23, 2020, 12:50:25 PM »

The workers in these factories can come into the uk without quarantine, Romania and Poland have high infection rates and this type of industry employs them here and in Germany.  Its not pleasant work in cold damp conditions and perfect for viruses to survive. 

This type of industry has been in the spotlight in the past, it needs much more scrutiny. If anything comes from these outbreaks I hope its better working conditions and better hygiene.

CLKD

« Reply #203 on: June 23, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »

My sister lives close to the Factory (over 580 workers there) on Anglesey and she says that they are all Eastern Europeans.  That's surely racist, like their lives don't matter  :-\ flown in to keep the Factories operational. 

Taz2

« Reply #204 on: June 23, 2020, 03:26:13 PM »

My sister lives close to the Factory (over 580 workers there) on Anglesey and she says that they are all Eastern Europeans.  That's surely racist, like their lives don't matter  :-\ flown in to keep the Factories operational.

Interesting and sad. Have you got proof that they've been 'flown in' to work in this factory? Have the original workers been furloughed?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #205 on: June 23, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »

On an Island 1 soon knows what's what  ::) - I believe they were flown in due to the increased demand on products at the various UK Factories. 

Leicester have 3 new testing stations set up due to a food processing Factory having C-19 symptoms in their work force  :-\

Two hoots

« Reply #206 on: June 23, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »

I think its always eastern europeans that work in these plants, the work  is unpleasant and I dont think many locals would work for poor wages in the conditions. There is/was some sort of meat processing plant around here, the job adverts were in Polish only even though they were in a website advertising local jobs.

Kathleen

« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »

Hello ladies.

The meat packing factories in America have been closed for a few weeks due to COVID infecting the workers. Germany has had the same problem. 
In the US they thought the virus spread easily because it was impossible to social distance on the production line however the workers wear plastic aprons and gloves etc which should offer some protection. The latest theory is that the virus prefers cold conditions so a chilly factory floor would help it to spread in the atmosphere.

The more we can learn the better but that takes time obviously.

Take care ladies.

K.

Two hoots

« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »

I dont eat a lot of meat but I do eat chicken, after finding out about these outbreaks I don't think ill be buying any for a few weeks at least.

CLKD

« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2020, 07:52:50 PM »

We have been buying chicken from our local butcher .......

Now tennis players have tested positive after a Tournament organised by Djocivic .........
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 39