Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Lack of hygiene in hospitals  (Read 1472 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Lack of hygiene in hospitals
« on: April 05, 2023, 07:37:40 PM »

Does any1 watch the various hospital programmes where surgery is performed?  I was horrified in recent week to see a complete lack of hair covering, both with medical teams and patients.

Last week a girl appeared for surgery on some hand tendons: full mascara, long false eyelashes, nail varnish  :o  :o .  In my day one was allowed a wedding ring which was covered with a plaster and nothing else, incase something became lost during patient movement. No ear rings, bracelets etc..  As well as paper hats which covered every scrap of hair.  Staff would be fully covered too, if not the Surgical Sister would be down like a ton of bricks!

If any non surgical staff went into theatre area we had to cover up too, special shoes and hair coverings. I remember when I had operations even in the 1990s, the paper hat was fitted. 

Watching these recent programmes it seems that less thought is taken regarding keeping hair covered: I could cut the risk of MRSA etc. by half!  Surgeons with hair onto their collars which are showing during surgery: masks not worn correctly: no shoe covers: same with the nursing team, hair showing etc.. 

I am tamping!   All these Covid restrictions - nowt seems to have been learned [learnt] !!!!

getting_old

Re: Lack of hygiene in hospitals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 08:02:26 PM »

I was watching one the other day and the surgeon had the mask below his nose the entire time. I didn't hear what he said as I was so busy looking at the mask, and wondering if it would be in the correct place in the next frame.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 09:14:35 PM »

I do think general cleanliness in the hospital near us has improved since the 80s when I had my children and a hospital stay in the 90s. It was dirty, dusty and the toilets disgusting by the end of the day. I noticed the hospital was a lot cleaner in a more recent stay.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 06:32:07 AM »

When I worked in the NHS every Ward had a dedicated Team of cleaners for that particular area: rarely were they transferred to any other part of the Hospital.  Then 'they' dispensed with regular bods and out sources agencies who flit from 1 Ward to another as well as going who knows where on other jobs  :-\

A man last night didn't have a paper hat on  :o even though he was under going quite intensive surgery  :-\