Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Breast cancer and Dairy foods  (Read 4100 times)

Jari

Breast cancer and Dairy foods
« on: March 10, 2020, 10:55:41 AM »

We know that there is nearly a four times difference in the incidence of BC between Western women and Asian women and in the east the women eat very little (if any) dairy foods.

Dairy products naturally contain a substance called IGF-1 but the levels are high in pregnant cows. It is designed to stimulate growth and stimulate cells to divide and multiply and has been implicated in BC. There is such a high commercial scale now for cows breast milk and so nowadays they are milked whilst pregnant. During pregnancy their levels of estrogen are much higher so the dairy foods we eat contain high amounts of this hormone.

When dairy is eaten as cheese, it has an acidic effect on the body and will cause calcium to be leached from your bones, so this is not a good form of dairy after the menopause.

If you are opting for a non hrt menopause and are concerned about estrogen receptive cancer and osteoporosis then maybe think about cutting out dairy products. ?! X

Sparrow

Re: Breast cancer and Dairy foods
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 11:03:40 AM »

Hi Jari, 

This topic has come up before and I did some research then.  The evidence isn't clear or definitive though. Also the problem with cutting out dairy is bone health as I understood it to be the best foods for protection.  Young girls that go dairy free are at high risk.  That could be a really dilemma for some people as calcium supplements are not very efficient.

Personally I love dairy foods, milk, cheese, cream etc., I have good bone health (no osteoporosis in the family either) and no breast cancer in the family, except for one cousin who is a smoker anyway.   

Jari

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

Hi Shadyglade

Yes I think some women are more at risk to BC and/or Osteo.

I have cut down massively with dairy, but it totally depends on how you feel with your own body and the effects, if any.

I always used to think cheese was good for calcium, but it seems to have the opposite effect.

Calcium rich, non dairy foods include:

Almonds, black beans, broccoli, brown rice, cabbage, chickpeas, eggs, figs, hazelnuts, sardines, soya, walnuts, sunflower seeds, quinoa, spring greens.... x

Sparrow

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:43:02 AM »

Just shows how important a good diet is.  My son had a girlfriend who was vegetarian but didn't like veg.  Total nightmare and her diet was terrible, bulked out with starchy carbs.  I don't predict a healthy old age for her.

Jari

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 11:49:12 AM »

So true. Diet is so important whether you choose to eat animals or are vegetarian or vegan. All of these choices can be bad diets if we do not choose a good balance. If she is only eating starchy carbs, that is not good. X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 12:19:53 PM »

Can't be vegetarian if one doesn't eat veg.  :-\

I had breast disease. In 1995. [I think].  Found in a lump removed from the breast.  I was raised on whole milk, no skimmed etc. in my day  ;D: fresh fruits, veg., all in season.  Lots of meat and 2/3 veg.; eggs, beans on toast, game ......... milk puddings, soups made from chicken bones.

How many women in Asia compared with in the UK?  I continue with a mixed diet.  A little of what I fancy  ;)

Kmorris

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 01:48:34 PM »

In May of last year, I had an apt with the practice Nurse at my surgery....I was told my cholesterol level was high ...6.8 I think was mentioned. My Dad had died of heart disease at 60 ..... Nurse suggested that I should cut all dairy from my diet....milk, butter, cheese, chocolate....pies, cakes,etc.

I did .... because she frightened me. I lost weight. I looked better. I began to think how badly I had eaten before and became quite strict with myself making sure these bad fats wouldn't clog my arteries.

In September I had a nasty UTI, I was prescribed Antibiotics. October/NovemberDecember/January/February....many antibiotics later....I think I have - I HAVE, vaginal atrophy.
My body has dried out like a sun dried dog t**d.
Was this caused by the low cholesterol diet?
Did I wring out the last drops of moisture from my body with this stupid diet?
Sat thinking about it last night ....I really believe I did.

Jari

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 02:42:14 PM »

I would not think so Kmorris.

I do not eat animals and am cutting back on dairy very much. Rarely have any now, but I do eat good fats. Good oils like rapeseed oil, olive oil etc. Get plenty of omega 3 etc..

I hope you get some luck with the Yes product. X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »

However: oil and fat are different  :-\

Fat is usually an animal-based product ............

kmorris: what was the Nurse basing her knowledge on and did she offer you an appt. with a dietician.  Then missed VA  >:( par for the course?

Jari

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 03:17:40 PM »

There are good fats and there are bad fats CLKD. Fats from animals are the bad for us fats! :)

Kmorris

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »

CLKD,
I have lost all confidence with my GP surgery, and judging by the comments of the patients in the waiting room, I am not alone.

The Nuse was reading off her computer and looking at cholesterol numbers and age groups, apparently I had flagged up red. I was given a couple of sheets of paper to take home and read  about high cholesterol which she had downloaded from Google.

An appt with a dietitian?  ;D CLKD....I would be so lucky.
I asked a Nurse last week if I could speak to someone with regards to menopause issues and mentioned  my concern re. Vaginal Atrophy....she said " how do you spell Atrophy?" she went on to say they don't have a Nurse that deals with menopause as such but *Anne, is the oldest here so you can have a chat with her on Friday afternoon.
* Not her real name.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »

Nowt to lose though? then ask for a referral to a menopause clinic ?

Fats from animals  ::) - where else does one get fats from  :-\.  My Grandparents lived on pork dripping on toast [not literally], lots of hard work and exercise so fats were burned up as Nature intended.  Lots of meat/veg and thick puddings made from scratch.  They lived into their early 70s/late 80s ;-)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:34:51 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 04:41:53 PM »

Obvious the BMSociety message still ain't getting through  :-X

Jari

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »

Thanks Sparkle! ;)

Kathleen

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »

Hello ladies.

There is a lot of information online if anyone is interested in researching the best diet for them. My favourite site is NutritionFacts.Org

We make our own cholesterol, all animals do, so there is no need to eat extra if we are worried about clogging our arteries.

I haven't eaten meat, eggs or dairy for years then developed VA within a few weeks of coming off HRT so I'm pretty sure that was the cause for me.

Wishing you well ladies.

K.
Pages: [1] 2