Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34

Author Topic: Is this the right place to discuss compounded hormones?  (Read 77477 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is this the right place to discuss compounded hormones?
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2020, 12:45:26 PM »

;D. it doesn't take much does it  ::) - Shadyglade: do you mean if 'you' as in if it were I or anyone in particular?

Mary G

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2020, 12:58:57 PM »

Jari, your experience sounds very scary and was probably due to the dreaded Utrogestan.  You could also have had an allergic reaction to the gel. 

My experience with Utrogestan was also very scary which is why I can never use it again.  Fortunately the progesterone lozenge I use now bears no resemblance whatsoever to Utrogestan.

I agree with Stellajane, why not start a new thread on bad experiences with HRT.   I will happily discuss my progesterone woes.

Sparrow

« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »

Unfortunately we had a thread similar about the positives of not taking HRT, but it was closed down.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:11:24 PM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2020, 01:13:08 PM »

Worth trying again though  ;)

Jari

« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2020, 01:16:52 PM »

Hi ladies, sorry, I did not mean to go off track.
I will start a new thread.

Hurdity, there is no question that my side effects were caused by the estrogel or utrogestan. I felt it was more the estrogel as I only took utro for 7 days. The breathing issue started about 2 weeks into taking the gel ( before starting the utro) and got worse and worse. The meno lady I was seeing said to come off immediately and by doing so, we could see if it was this that was causing it. It was, because it went when I stopped it.

Thanks Shadyglade, I thought it was an interesting link too.

GRL.. I also have BC history. Re osteo... it is not a given that you will get osteo if you do not take hrt. Osteo prevention using hrt is only recommended when all other medications for osteo have failed. You would need to take hrt for ever if you are using it as an osteo prevention. Bisphosphonates are used for osteo. Have you had a bone scan. I had one and they have no concerns currently.

Mary G, I think you are right, that I probably had an allergic reaction to estrogel, which is strange as I never usually get allergic reactions to anything.

Sorry for going off track... will start another thread!

Have a good afternoon ladies. X
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 01:20:19 PM by Jari »

CLKD

« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »

Do start a new thread Jari - it means that comments won't become lost in the melee ..........

Hurdity

« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2020, 02:04:40 PM »

https://www.goshen.edu/bio/Biol410/bsspapers07/rachaelah/Hormone%20Replacement%20Therapy.htm

This is an interesting but long read...

Hi again. Just for the record even though it's off topic, and because it has been commented on, for anyone reading this thread and the link, the paper is from2007 so is very out of date when it comes to risk information etc. I didn't read it because of this but had a glance, and when I saw reference to a major study ( the KEEPS study) as "being undertaken", I realised there was not much point as a result. There are much more up to date papers about HRT out there; the major national and international menopause societies have various consensus statements and position statements and publush review papers in their journals.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2020, 02:54:17 PM »

.......... and ...........  :-\

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2020, 09:21:43 PM »

I agree with you Hurdity. I do wish people wouldn't cite the KEEPS study, or the HABITS study or the dreaded WHI study - when these studies are years out of date and been comprehensively proven to be seriously flawed and frankly incorrect.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:21 PM »

Jari, unfortunately bisphosphonates just don't work for adequately for osteoporosis. The reason being that they only treat the external layer of bone and not the inner core. So your bones aren't being treated properly from the inside out, which is what oestrogen does. It's the same reason why it's pointless taking calcium for 'strong bones'.

Dr Bluming discussed this at length in 'Oestrogen Matters'. Luckily the medical profession are just realising that current treatment for osteoporosis isn't nearly as effective as it should be. I have a colleague who works as a research scientist in this area and she has admitted as much. But as ever, it takes 10 - 20 years for it to be introduced via the NHS.

dangermouse

« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2020, 10:02:05 PM »

Also the premise on which prescribing compounded BHRT (cBHRT) is based in principle ie that blood (or saliva) tests are needed in order to determine oestrogen levels in order to individualise the dose according to the woman's requirements ? is false. Research has shown that symptoms do not correlate with absolute oestrogen levels.

Hurdity x

Im not sure where you got that from. Yes bloods are asked for at the first appointment to get an idea of the patients sex hormone ratios (more than the amounts), but they explain its a snapshot and prescribe by symptoms. They then alter dosage according to how they respond.

Oestrogen is very rarely taken into consideration due to the wild fluctuations, my 2 clinics were more interested in FSH, LH, progesterone on Day 21 (as its on a downward trajectory the closer you get to menopause) and testosterone.

Mary G

« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2020, 11:47:05 AM »

For KarineT.

Mary G

« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2020, 11:51:12 AM »

For 3isenough.

CLKD

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »

:thankyou:

CherrySG

« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2020, 03:58:37 PM »

https://www.goshen.edu/bio/Biol410/bsspapers07/rachaelah/Hormone%20Replacement%20Therapy.htm

This is an interesting but long read...

Thank you for posting this link Jari, it's really useful and informative.  :-*
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 34