Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Came off HRT ! Feeling better !! Au natural!  (Read 18921 times)

Lisa M

Came off HRT ! Feeling better !! Au natural!
« on: March 21, 2024, 09:37:13 AM »

Hi all ,

I’ve been on several types of HRT for around 4 years . I’m 52. I’ve never really got on with it but battled through as we do thinking it must be helping! Anyway I’ve always been sensitive to progesterone and only recently realised that this has been the issue all along ! I was suffering with terrible anxiety, hot flushes , migraines , nausea , fatigue etc etc . I decided to half my Conti patch almost 2 weeks ago and within hrs felt better . This Monday I decided to go without and I am ASTOUNDED! I feel the best I have felt for years !! I’ve also introduced a magnesium tablet at bedtime for the past 2 weeks !! I’m sleeping through !! So moral of story is don’t always think HRT is helping , for some of us it really does not tick all the boxes! I’m curious to now look down the “ natural “ root and see how I get on .

« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 09:39:06 AM by Lisa M »

DottyD68

Re: Came off HRT ! Feeling better !! Au natural!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 02:16:42 PM »

Hi Lisa M,

I am 55, nearly 56. I agree that HRT isn't the magic bullet for many of us. I have been having symptoms for 10 years apx and, having tried all sorts of different natural therapies and supplements, after 7 years reluctantly tried HRT (gel & utrogestan). It helped reduce or alleviate many of my symptoms, but because of my own wildly fluctuating hormones I was never able to get the balance right. I felt it was mainly the balance of progesterone that wasn't right, although I do also think I ended up on far too much oestrogen. I was on a sequi regime which I preferred as I was still having some bleeds, although the GPs were keen for me to be continuous (due to my age) which I tried but that didn't feel right.

I reduced my HRT doseage last year, gradually over the year, and when I got down to 1 pump of gel and 14 x 200mgs of utrogestan felt it was the "sweet spot". I finally came off it beginning of November. I felt fine for a month which was brilliant, but by January not only had many symptoms returned, I also gained some new ones including very very low mood which I have never suffered from. It was so bad I made the decision to go back on HRT at end of January (Evorel Conti 50) and within days my mood lifted and many symptoms reduced. I am nearly 2 months in and getting on better with the continuus patch than I expected, despite not being perfect. I may have to increase to a 75 patch to hit a couple of remaining symptoms but I will see as I don't want to introduce other ones due to too high oestrogen.

It is encouraging to hear that you feel so good after stopping HRT. All I would say is don't get despondent if your symptoms do return after a while. As many of the wise ladies on this forum have said it is worth trying different types of HRT to see what suits us as individuals. I definitely feel better (so far) with the progesterone in the patch than I did with Utrogestan which surprised me.

Personally I don't think HRT will ever allow me to be completely symptom free but at least it can reduce or alleviate many symptoms to make life slightly more bearable.

Good luck and let us know how you get on X

Lisa M

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 10:01:59 AM »

Hi Lisa M,

I am 55, nearly 56. I agree that HRT isn't the magic bullet for many of us. I have been having symptoms for 10 years apx and, having tried all sorts of different natural therapies and supplements, after 7 years reluctantly tried HRT (gel & utrogestan). It helped reduce or alleviate many of my symptoms, but because of my own wildly fluctuating hormones I was never able to get the balance right. I felt it was mainly the balance of progesterone that wasn't right, although I do also think I ended up on far too much oestrogen. I was on a sequi regime which I preferred as I was still having some bleeds, although the GPs were keen for me to be continuous (due to my age) which I tried but that didn't feel right.

I reduced my HRT doseage last year, gradually over the year, and when I got down to 1 pump of gel and 14 x 200mgs of utrogestan felt it was the "sweet spot". I finally came off it beginning of November. I felt fine for a month which was brilliant, but by January not only had many symptoms returned, I also gained some new ones including very very low mood which I have never suffered from. It was so bad I made the decision to go back on HRT at end of January (Evorel Conti 50) and within days my mood lifted and many symptoms reduced. I am nearly 2 months in and getting on better with the continuus patch than I expected, despite not being perfect. I may have to increase to a 75 patch to hit a couple of remaining symptoms but I will see as I don't want to introduce other ones due to too high oestrogen.

It is encouraging to hear that you feel so good after stopping HRT. All I would say is don't get despondent if your symptoms do return after a while. As many of the wise ladies on this forum have said it is worth trying different types of HRT to see what suits us as individuals. I definitely feel better (so far) with the progesterone in the patch than I did with Utrogestan which surprised me.

Personally I don't think HRT will ever allow me to be completely symptom free but at least it can reduce or alleviate many symptoms to make life slightly more bearable.

Good luck and let us know how you get on X

Hi Dotty ,

Thanks so much for your reply . I’ve started feeling abit off these last few days so have made an appt with a gp . I’m just at a loss as what to do. I feel I need more oestrogen but I don’t want the prog :( .

DottyD68

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2024, 12:48:45 PM »

The GP has suggested the Mirena Coil for the progesterone. I know many ladies swear by it but I really don't like the idea of having something fitted. I have agreed to go on the waiting list while I try the patches. So far they have been much better than when i tried continuous utrogestan so I am hoping I can stick with these. I've had a couple of bleeds since I started but I'm hoping that is as a result of a new regime and that it will settle within the 6 month guideline. I am not convinced I am actually menopausal as y previous last bleed on sequi was August but because of my age the GPs are all determined to get me on conti. Are you definitely menopausal? When was your last period?

Lisa M

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2024, 06:09:15 PM »

Hi Dotty ,

Last period was Sept 2022. But I was on HRT at that time . I can’t have coil . I had a reaction to it and also it embedded itself so they said no more. I’m gonna give myself a month see what my “natural “ cycle without anything wants to do. It’s so so hard isn’t it ? My mum told me today she loved HRT and felt wonderful on it which really made me feel great haha! I know I can’t tolerate prog so I just don’t know . I’m gonna research natural remedies again . Ty for reply . Makes me feel less alone in this journey .

DottyD68

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 06:59:21 PM »

Sorry to hear you are struggling with HRT. I think it's a good thing to come off it for a bit just to see "where you are". I did for 3 months as I wasn't sure whether it was my own fluctuating hormones or the HRT causing a variety of symptoms. I really wanted to be able to manage without it but it became unbearable.

I know several ladies on here have tried different regimes (long cycle with only a few days of progesterone) or different products (cyclogest?) but I have no experience of them personally.

I agree it can feel very lonely. Especially at a time where there is a lot of stuff going on in "normal" life with elderly parents and in an unsettled world. I find this forum a great support.

Hope you find the right solution X

Penguin

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2024, 03:30:36 PM »

Hi Dotty ,

Last period was Sept 2022. But I was on HRT at that time . I can’t have coil . I had a reaction to it and also it embedded itself so they said no more. I’m gonna give myself a month see what my “natural “ cycle without anything wants to do. It’s so so hard isn’t it ? My mum told me today she loved HRT and felt wonderful on it which really made me feel great haha! I know I can’t tolerate prog so I just don’t know . I’m gonna research natural remedies again . Ty for reply . Makes me feel less alone in this journey .

Hi Lisa
I was wondering how you are doing Nd if you are still odd the HRT? If so, what are you doing instead to help feel okay? I am about to try for the third time to stop my estrogel / utrogrstan. I'm only on one pump of gel and it's fine, but I simply can't cope with the progesterone and i don't want to try a synthetic one.  Both times I tried to stop the estrogen I went back on it within days. This time I'm hoping to do it with increased phytoestrogens in my diet, sea buckthorn for dryness and a change in my anti depressant to one which helps hot flashes.  Would be great to hear how you're doing and what natural things you have tried?
Penguin x

Northerngirl

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2024, 03:50:17 PM »

Hi ladies,  I went cold turkey and stopped all hrt in December...due to thickened womb lining. So far I've not had to go back on it. I do suffer with symptoms but I had the same symptoms when I was on hrt,the only new one is the hot flushes. I don't think I ever seemed to get  my dose right ...even after trying on and off for 10 years.
I too would be interested if anyone has any suggestions for alternatives. 
I have just started using hyalofemme gel for VA ....early days but it seems ok, it does slightly burn at first (not painful though). Still use Yes products on the other days.
Also take a magnesium/calcium and vitamin D tablet and a high strength omega 3 for my dry eyes.
It's not easy trying to navigate through all of these issues is it.

Penguin

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 04:12:11 PM »

No ut certainly isn't. I find the gel in the green box from the optician good for dry eyes. What I find harder is that  few days without estrogel and my mouth throat and respiratory tract seem to dry up too. I wake with a dry cough and then convince myself I have a lung problem. Water doesn't seem to fix it, perhaps I should try coconut water by the bed to sip overnight, that's very hydrating isn't it.

Northerngirl

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2024, 05:04:03 PM »

Hi Penguin, the optician recommended Hycosan extra drops ...they're the red box. I think I've tried most eye drops and they seem to be one of the best(for me anyway), they are preservative free so don't irritate my eyes as much. Also use hycosan night gel before bed.
I've also had similar with the dry cough and struggled to breathe a couple of times....frightening first time as didn't realise it was menopause related. I have experienced as many issues whilst on HRT as without...like I said before I have never been able to get it right and since I had my scare I'm determined to stay off it 🤞
Coconut water might be worth a try or isn't there an aloe vera water, that might be another one to try.
The joy of being a woman eh?? 😂

Penguin

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2024, 08:00:51 PM »

There neat aloe vera of which you have a tablespoon over and is absolutely great for silent reflux. And then the nicer tasting one which unfortunately has sugar in. I've got some of the first one in the fridge so I'll try that. Glad to know its not just me with the throat / cough thing, although I sympathise as well.
I'll try the red hycosan, they're probably the next level up. I wonder if I'll probably need vagifem as well, or go back to using yes vm as preventative before it gets dry.
I've stocked up on endamame beans and tofu for the phytoestrogens!