Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to take for joint pain  (Read 6084 times)

catlover68

What to take for joint pain
« on: February 24, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »

Hi all

I'm suffering with joint pain and stiffness in my hands and fingers. I do use a mouse regularly in my job which doesn't help. I cannot take hrt as made me feel so ill. I'm currently taking daily 10mgs citalopram a menopace tablet,1000mgs starflower oil capsule and a turmeric capsule. I'm also suffering periodically with migraines which last 3-4 days,hot flushes which are manageable and insomnia.

Just wondering what else I can take that may help?

Thanks

Sparrow

Re: What to take for joint pain
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:26:10 AM »

Hi catlover,  I have found rosehip very good for joint pain.  However, if you have had this problem for sometime, I would see your GP.  Persistant joint pain in both hands is unlikely to be RSI so it should be checked.  You may have arthritis.

It's important not to assume all health problems are hormone related as other conditions can have the same symptoms.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:53:56 AM by Shadyglade »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:01:55 AM »

As oestrogen levels drop muscles may become lax = aches and pains.  Consistent pain in a specific joint/s, as Shadyglade suggests, should be discussed with your GP who is able to arrange X-rays of the affected area.  This may well show oesteo arthritis to a degree which will determine treatment routes.

Have you tried a splint at night to give your wrists a rest? You could self refer to a physio., I remember patients with hand pain would be told to use hot/cold water bowls.  Soak hands in hot then cold water - this may not be current thinking so ask a physio..

catlover68

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 01:32:46 AM »

Thanks for replying Shadyglade and CLKD. I did think it could be the start of arthritis so yes I will go to the doctors to get checked out. I do find the turmeric quite effective but will definitely try the rosehip suggestion. I may also go down physio route so thanks for that suggestion. Some days are worse than others so think the cold weather doesn't help🙄

Thanks again😀

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 07:41:21 AM »

? let us know how you get on ?

Jari

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 04:52:18 PM »

Hi Catlover.. you could have a read about Glucosamine Sulphate.
I took this for a while as I had joint stiffness in feet and it has all but gone now.. I'm not sure if it was that that helped or if this was another of my menopausal symptoms that has passed anyway.. but as Shadyglade says it's not always M that is to blame. Worth having a chat to gp! X

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 01:07:56 PM »

There is a paste obtainable from the Golden Paste Co, they are UK based, it contains tumeric, pepper and oil and it works really well for joint pains, or one can make ones own paste.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »

2 apply or swallow ?  :-\

Kmorris

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 08:50:24 PM »

Hello Catlover,
a number of years ago when I was early into the menopause I suffered a lot of joint pain in my hands and fingers, too. This was really upsetting as I enjoy knitting and embroidering....at the time I took
Glucosamine and chronditin (I think that's how it's spelt!) ....  I took it for a couple of months and luckily it helped and eventually eased off. You can still buy them today....they are a very popular vitamin  in the big chemists.

catlover68

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 08:53:26 PM »

Thank you all for your replies.

I shall definitely look at Glucosomine thanks kmorris. Also interested in trying the golden paste so a few things for me to try.  I have also booked a doctors appointment in next couple weeks so shall see what she says. My hands feel so stiff and my joints are a bit painful today,hope it's not the onset of RA.

Thanks again

bear

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »

Hi catlover68,

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me it this has already been suggested. I am convinced that UC-II (undenatured collagen type II) is very effective for joint pains. Have a look online. Hope you get better soon.

BeaR.

Jeepers

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:56 AM »

Hi Catlover

I had some joint problems last year, and started taking Green Lipped mussel supplements (H&B do them).  They seemed to help a lot,although probably not much good if you are allergic to seafood/shellfish

Jeepers xx

Julia F

• First Flush
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »

Coming a bit late to this but I found adding magnesium to my supplements (1 x tablet before bedtime) has really helped joint stiffness. It also helps with sleep! ;-) It's also worth doing some research on turmeric. There are different types of capsules some more highly absorbable than others. If you use the correct one in addition to whatever else you are taking it will definitely help your overall health. Any kind of joint pain is inflammatory whether you are menopausal or not: diet makes a huge difference so try adding natural anti-inflammatories like ginger and turmeric into your stews, soups etc. as well as taking supplements.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »

Should we be taking green lipped mussels from the wild ? ! ? ........ when there are synthesised pain reliefs available.

Turmeric - has been used in Indian cookery for centuries.  Any peer reviewed research about health benefits in that Continent? I do know that in powder form it stains!!  >:(. DH uses it in lentil soups/curries.

We have used ginger and garlic for years in most evening meals, including curries.  Good exercise, proper foot wear ;-) and sitting correctly will help overall aches and pains .  I believe that those children who haven't had access to gym in Schools will suffer sooner rather than later as these are more likely to have accessed junk foods regularly.  Hopefully lockdown will have helped people get into the countryside more often which will be of benefit.

I use 'nurofen' the moment pain begins.  I don't wait to see if symptoms will improve, as I get queasy = anxiety.  Sciatcia is my biggest problem because I don't kneel often enough  :-\  ::)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 12:17:24 PM »

What's wrong with an over the counter pain relief  :-\
Pages: [1] 2