General Discussion > New Members

Inflammation in vaginal vestibule - VA or something else?

(1/2) > >>

Blackbird:
Hi everyone, this is my first post, hope I'm in the right place on this forum.

My history - approximately 12 months ago I was experiencing discomfort during inter course and was referred to a gynaecologist who prescribed estriol cream as there was a dry area of skin in my vagina, this worked well and I have continued to use it since then.    I'm 54 and have not had a period for 5 years.

Approx 3 months ago I began to feel soreness in my vaginal vestibule area and have an urgency to pee a lot so assumed it was lack of estrogen in that area, I applied estriol cream on a daily basis but this has done nothing to relieve the problem.   In January I saw my doctor who said she could see inflammation and took a lower vaginal swab, this confirmed no sign of infection ie thrush, BV but did say that there was no lactobacillus present.    I was told to use yoghurt as a cream and I also took vagina probiotics and oral probiotics.    This did seem to help for a few weeks but am now back to square one.     
I have now been referred to a dermatologist but the appointment is not for another 6 weeks  :( .

The question I have for you ladies who suffer from VA is - 'do you have inflammation/redness in the vestibule area that you can see?    I have no idea whether my problem is caused by VA or another condition.    If it is VA would Oviston cream be better than estriol as I believe it's stronger?

I would love to know your thoughts, many thanks.

Dierdre:
Hi Blackbird and welcome to the forum.  You could just need a higher and stronger dosage of estrogen, Ovestin and/or Vagifem, as your estrogen levels could have declined further causing a flare up.
I sometimes have a very sore area on the vulva that has been diagnosed as Lichens Sclerosis and i need a steriod cream, Dermovate, to sort this out. This works very well, usually within a couple of weeks and then a maintenance dose for a few weeks, its very soothing and ive been managing this quite easily without a flare up for a year now. The dermatologist will beable to diagnose this or rule it out.
Let the clinic know you would take a last minute cancellation, this might get you in sooner and in the meantime perhaps try YES waterbase lubricants and moisturisers. These are organic and  Ive not suffered any irritation, you can get on prescription or easily buy online. Boots have also ordered for me before over the counter. 

Blackbird:
Thanks very much you for your advice, I'm just getting fed up with feeling so sore as I'm sure many others are.    I do already have some Yes moisturiser so I?ll use that until I can get some Ovestin and will also call the hospital to see if they can put me on a cancellation list.    Would you mind telling me what your Lichen Sclerosis look like?

Dierdre:
Mine looked like slightly raised very red, inflamed patches inside the labia and vestibule. Ive read some have white patches and itching, I didnt so thought it was just VA for a couple of years. Estrogen alone hadn't helped so i was referred to a vulva clinic for diagnosis. That was 3 years ago and I've only had 2 flare ups since and each time the steroid cream worked very quickly.  I just use  the steroid cream once or twice a week now for maintenance if needed , plus Ovestin every night externally and Vagifem 5 times a week for the VA . The symtoms for Lichens are similar to severe atrophy so its best to get a proper diagnosis from the dermatologist. 

Blackbird:
That's interesting as mine is similar and I had discounted LS as I thought it would show as white patches.     Glad you manage yours ok now and hopefully I?ll get an answer to my situation sometime in the near future, I will post my findings as soon as I can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version