Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Reducing HRT and calcium and others  (Read 2115 times)

kdee69

Reducing HRT and calcium and others
« on: February 22, 2020, 05:25:14 AM »

So due to dreadful migraines (which I've documented previously) , I'm tapering off the oestrogel with a view to eventually being able to stop.
I'm down to one pump every day (it's only been a week🥴) but so far no sweats, excess heat or mood changes. Def insomnia back ( it's currently 5:22😉). I'm going to continue this for another two months then see if I can go to one pump every other and two/three months later stop. We?ll see.
If all goes to plan ( and when does it ever 🙄) what supplements should I introduce? I'm guessing calcium but would be good to understand a dose, I currently take high strength VitD so will continue with that. Any advice would be really welcome.

Jari

Re: Reducing HRT and calcium and others
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »

Hi kdee69,

How long have you been taking hrt, at what stage did you start taking it. Eg peri or post or in the middle?
I took it briefly at the point when my periods had stopped for a year so just borderline post meno. It didn't agree with me, to say the least, so I stopped it over night. I was also down to one pump a day.

I started taking it for intense hot flushes and night sweats that I was having and really stiff foot joints. If I had known that these symptoms were going to be short lived then I would not have started on hrt in the first place.

What were your reasons for starting it?

I think it is really important to take good quality supplements. I use a brand called Viridian for calcium/D3, magnesium and women's 40+ multi. I also take vegan omega 3 capsules and follow a hormone balancing diet/lifestyle for balancing our own hormones and it seems to work well for me.

I did get a return of hot flushes after about 2 months coming off the hrt which I was expecting because the estrogen levels were dropping coming off it.
I have found that my symptoms have got milder and milder. I do still get the odd hot flush/night sweat but they are no where near like they were before and just seem to be tapering off..

X

Mogster71

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 10:09:49 AM »

Hi there

Hope you don't mind me hopping on board this thread - I posted in the main board yesterday and only one kind lady responded  :-\

Since most of the threads seem to be pro-HRT I thought I'd ask my question here too. Have any of you felt better for stopping HRT? I think I am getting closer to menopause as HRT seems to be not controlling things as much for me symptoms-wise. I first tried taking HRT tablets last June, to try and manage headaches and nausea. My doctor also thought it would also be good to protect me against osteoporosis. I managed a month on the first tablet before having to stop because I felt so rough with palpitations, hair loss, upset tummy etc.  I had 2 more false starts before settling on Femoston 1/10 for about 3 months, from October through to Christmas, when my headaches really turned up a gear again. 2/3 days of constant pain and nausea, with only the edge taken off with paracetamol/ibuprofen alternately. This was always happening in the packet change/withdrawal bleed week but had crept in elsewhere.

In January I switched GPs and have the most amazing male doctor who has really taken me under his wing. When I visited him he thought we should try switching to transdermal from tablets to see if the change of delivery would help with the headaches. Estraderm MX patches and 14 days of utrogestan. What a nightmare. I could not get the oestrogen dose right - 50 was too high (medium compared to low I was taking in tablet form) and 25 too low. The utrogestan was just terrible and I gave up with that after about 5 days, finishing off the progesterone phase with another week of Femoston progesterone. I messed my cycle up in February with all this shenanigans and went straight back on Femoston for March. All good again until progesterone phase and bang, headache central. At the time my GP explained it was due to my own hormones having a bit of a party of their own, and that the dips and peaks are more extreme while my body makes more of an effort.

Since I wanted to be on HRT to control my headaches and protect against osteoporosis I'm beginning to feel like I might have to stop. I'm just so scared of having headaches all the time.

I don't have a very good track record of taking my supplements regularly, but due to the lockdown and being able to work at home more, I've started being more disciplined. Viridian Magnesium powder on order, and some Better You B Vit and Multi Vit Sprays, plus Calcium & D3 supplements from my GP. I also have some Pharmanord Sea Buckthorn languishing in the drawer!

Has anyone got some good news. I don't want this to come as an anti HRT thread, but I think I am possibly, at the moment at least, adding in more problems than I am solving  ::) x

Alua197

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:48:12 PM »

I am coming up 9 months off hrt which i took for 4 years. In that 4 years i tried femoston pills, estalis patches, estradot patches, sandrena gel and finally settled on premarin.

I was peri when i started hrt and still am. I barely ovulate and the periods come for about two days roughly every 23 to 28 days. I am 46.

I started hrt because i was in and out of hoslital with bizarre symptoms and felt like i was dying. The onset of peri left me suicidal which was heightened by a bunch of western meds that legitimately nearly killed me. Those being benzos and antidepressants. I got off all that 3.5 years ago but still have neurologigal and cns disruption from the brain injury they caused.

I came off the hrt because it did strange things to my vision and i started getting very regular migraines with aura which were very scary. I once had them every day for two weeks. I have two young kids and work full time so that was hell on earth.

I thought enough is enough, western medicine has never been good for me although i know it has its place but i have to get off this stuff too as i believed it was causing the migraines and increasing anxiety and depression too.

I weaned off by reducing the pills over a 3 to 4 month period. It wasnt pleasant at all. Its a drug withdrawal afterall so i didnt expect it to be pleasant anyway but i was determined. And in 9 months only one migraine instead of 3 a month at the least. People can say what they like about the hormones being the same as the ones our bodies make but they are ALL synthesized in labs and drugs afterall.

And here i am nearly 9 months later not suicidal like i was scared i would be but actually feeling quite a lot better off the hrt than on it. I actually feel like i might feel normal again one day. I had the most horrific peri onset and thought i could never live without hrt. In fact it turns out the hrt made me worse.

My mum had similar symptoms as i did at peri onset and she took hrt for 7 years. She weaned off over a week and was fine and never took it again,

All that aside i am pro whatever makes people feel better including hrt.

All the best, it can be done.

Xxx

Mogster71

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 06:40:20 PM »

Hi Alua

Thank you for your reply, but my goodness, that sounds like a really horrible time for you. My problems seem positively trivial in comparison  :-\ So glad to hear you are feeling much better these days!

Apologies for my late reply. I've been sitting on this for a bit but since I wrote my post 2 weeks ago, I chickened out of stopping yet again. Now 1.5 weeks in to a new packet, I am ready to launch them lol. I've had about 3 days clear of headaches in the last fortnight. I wish I'd stopped it at the end of the last pack and gone with my gut feeling. I've decided that I'm going to stop and see how I get on by myself for a bit. If I find I'm worse headache wise then perhaps I'll try another way of solving them.

Hope you continue to feel well - will check in and let you know XXx