Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Melatonin for sleep  (Read 3210 times)

Jari

Melatonin for sleep
« on: February 21, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »

I was in Italy on holiday a while ago and bought some chamomile tea. The pack is obviously all in Italian and it wasn't until we got back to the flat that I realised they weren't tea bags but sachets with instant chamomile tea. They also include 1mg of melatonin smallest dose.

Well, I have been sleeping all the way through the night, no doubt because of the melatonin in these tea sachets.

I have looked them up online but it seems melatonin is not available to buy over the counter in this country (U.K.)

Does anyone else have experience of these tea sachets or melatonin?

Ladybt28

Re: Melatonin for sleep
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 01:57:28 PM »

yep - I buy melatonin tablets off the internet and have done for about 5 years.  I tried sleep tablets from the GP and over the counter ones and they make me wake with a "hangover" and feel awful the next day.  Melatonin is the natural chemical that your body produces to react to light and make you sleep.  I have 3 preferred sites I use.  You an buy gummies, or drops or tablets but I buy tablets.  You can get them in 1mg/2mg/3mg/5mg and then 10mg.  I buy the 1mg and then then I can take the doses as I need them - if I am particularly wound up for some reason I would take 3 together.  I have never needed more than 5mg even at my worst!  I don't know why you cant buy melatonin over the counter here but you can't.  2 of my sites I use ship from the USA and the other is an English site that obviously buys in from abroad.

I also use valerian - you can get that in Tea with Chamomile and other stuff. I buy Celestial Teas "Sleepy Tea".  I haven't ever had Tea with melatonin in it though.  If I wake in the night and cant get off again rather than taking melatonin I use the "Sleepy Tea".  I'm gonna have to look and see if I can get Tea bags with Melatonin now off the internet.
If I am anxious with my sleeplessness I use the Dormesan Valarian drops.  I use the 3 things depending on the situation.  I only ever take the "natural" stuff now.  Works a treat every time with no ill effects and once you get back into a sleep rhythm you don't need them all the time.  It's great to know though that there is something you can go to instead of lying there getting wound up! x

Jari

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 03:20:12 PM »

The chamomile ? tea ? sachets I have are by an Italian brand called Sognidoro. They seem to have different choices.
The one I have is called La Camomilla Sognidoro. It says Melatonina on the front. Camomilla + 1mg di Melatonina.

I call it tea but they are sachets of powder. Like instant tea. There's a cup of chamomile tea as the picture on the front with camomile flowers.

I really like it but can not find it available on U.K. sites..

Sandie71

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 05:58:33 PM »

https://italianfoodshop.co.uk/collections/coffee-tea-hot-drinks/products/sognidoro-la-camomilla-soluble

Hi is this the tea u mean? Suffer terrible with insomnia and was looking for something to help when came across your thread

Jari

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 07:44:03 PM »

Hi Sandie, it's the same brand, but the one I mean has melatonina written on the front.

I think this one on your link is just camomille?!