Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: 57 and still have sporadic periods  (Read 2634 times)

Sandiet

57 and still have sporadic periods
« on: February 20, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »

I'm 57 and thought I was finally done as no bleed for a few months. Then developed sore breasts and heavy legs and hay presto another bleed, light but now for over a week. Happens always around the second week of the month (when I do bleed) never gone for more than 6 months. Panicking in case there is more to it . Emotions all over the place .

sheila99

Re: 57 and still have sporadic periods
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:34:14 PM »

I was still regular at 57, your body will pack up when it's ready to not when the medical profession tells you it will. If it feels like a 'normal' bleed it's probably just that. It isn't unusual at all to go some time without then have a heavy one. They define meno as 12 months without a bleed because this can happen.

Sandiet

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:41:57 PM »

Thanks sheila99
I think I'm just looking too much into it. It defo feels like a period but my mind is just all over the place x

Barnacle

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »

Hi Sandiet!  I'm 55 and still having periods, although the pattern and flow are very different to how they used to be. I had a major wobble last year as i went 7 months without a period and then all of a sudden i had one, and it did send me into a bit of a panic. I went to see my GP and we decided that it would be best to get myself checked out.
I am very lucky that we have a meno clinic at my local hospital, and after a full on MOT and a follow up appointment with a lovely man i came away feeling completely reassured that everything was fine.
He told me that having a later menopause is a lot more common than people think, which did make me feel better, i have to say.
I'd try and get an appointment with your GP, even if it is just to put your mind at rest and in the meantime there is a huge amount of knowledge and support on here from all the ladies, so don't be afraid to ask anything!

Sandiet

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »

Thank you For your reply.
I feel I'm not alone anymore. Went to GP yesterday we had a long discussion she said all seems very normal, she didn't feel the need to examine me so I feel a wee bit better. Just hope the negativity in myself stops x

Sandiet

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 02:57:29 PM »

Still having a show 11 days now very light  with a dull pelvic ache feels heavy like period pain. Should I be worried x

Machair

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »

Hello

I had a late menopause - last period was 59. However I did seek advice and had a scan just for peace of mind and blood tests. I was told it is becoming more common, but I would recommend a scan and a referral to a gynae for total peace of mind.

shrosphirelass

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 04:33:30 PM »

I was still having regular periods at age 56 when I went on sequential HRT. I have had some irregular heavier bleeding of late and the menopause doctor suggested that I may not yet be at menopause, nearly 58 now, so I'd try not to worry. I had awful pelvic pain this time too. I had a pelvic scan 6 weeks ago and all was fine.

funnell

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 10:39:46 PM »

hello, machair, i saw 2 posts in my inbox from few months back,THANKS for asking.not sure how to reply to
the questions so will reply from here. there was a late menopause section also i had written to.
pleased to say will be 1 year next march since had period apart from some spotting recently. im
now age 60. feel like im deranged,scatty, going mad at times. with all my past traumas since age
10, +with the very worst that could happen, murder of my girl,i dont no how im coping.
i must carry on but why do some well known+not so well known women commit suicide.
i have those thoughts but the thought of my adult son,stops me. A lot of these women
that have ended their lives have children. i cant/wont  take hrt,had DCIS removed from breast 3 times
+due for mastectomy. i put on a front for people +seem like im ok,but i cant keep doing this.
i cant stop working ,thanks to raised state pension,if i could stop work i could shut myself away,im
drinking a few beers to cheer me up. thanks for reading.

KaraShannon

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 11:09:04 PM »

Sandiet

Please just tell me what you're eating.  I'm 49 and my periods have been absent for just over 2 months and I'm never happy when there's a gap.  I always feel healthier when I bleed (after the inital tiredness).

As long as it feels normal to you I wouldn't worry.  Obviously I'm not a medical professional, but I've had some very strange patterns.  I had one period that lasted 6 weeks.  I told the doctor and he was rather straight and to the point 'we can fit a coil that will dry you up!'   :o  No thank you, not for me.  Since he's said that I seem to have dried up  ;D

Sandiet

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 02:42:50 PM »

Sorry to write AGAIN don't want to be a pain but I stopped for about 4 days and now another very small show but still with that heavy feeling still feels like a period.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »

It's probably a slow release from the womb.  If you have symptoms.  As oestrogen levels drop the body goes into The Change - intermittently causing periods etc. when least expected  >:(

Funnell - why are you having a mastectomy, precautionary or due to cancer?

KaraSharron - my periods waxed and waned for several years I knew it was The Change so got on with it.  I was pleased to see the back of them!  I would have a few regular bleeds, fortunately without the intense pains  :'( - then a break of perhaps months  ::).  I was busy looking after 4 sick pets  :'( so didn't really notice.  I was in my early 40s [I think].

KaraShannon

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 10:33:01 PM »

Sorry to write AGAIN don't want to be a pain but I stopped for about 4 days and now another very small show but still with that heavy feeling still feels like a period.

I've had this happen a few times.  :)