Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: New here and looking for support.  (Read 1385 times)

sophielee

New here and looking for support.
« on: February 17, 2020, 07:52:23 PM »

Hi,
i don't even know where to start. i'm 50 and think i've been in peri for about 5 years now. i've had a multitude of symptoms ranging from unexplained mid-cycle pelvic pain, anxiety, joint pain, breast pain, ongoing digestive issues, severe fatigue, and most recently, dry eyes.

Each time something happens, i spiral into a state of panic. Im full of fear and fall into a mild depression. I've had health anxiety going back to my 30's but these continuous issues have pushed me to new levels of anxiety.

Please tell me things will get better. I feel like I've been robbed of  my life. I've gone from a happy, outgoing person to practically housebound aside from going to work.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here and looking for support.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 08:06:37 PM »

Hi!   :welcomemm:  it's The Change: does what it says on the tin  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  Some find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  My periods waxed and waned for several years then disappeared.

I've had anxiety all my Life and depression in my 30/40s. 

As oestrogen levels drop the body may become dry: inside and out: eyes, nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina, skin.  Also muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

A good exercise regime will help.  Lots of 'me' time. Hobbies? we have threads on most things here, even menopause  ;)

Barnacle

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »

Hi Sophielee! I have only recently joined and the thing that has stood out for me is the amount of support that the ladies give to each other and the huge amount of knowledge they have managed to accumulate between them.

I have spent a lot of time reading various threads and have found the search box at the top of the page very helpful.

Minxy

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 10:20:43 PM »

Hi Sophielee , I'm new too but just clicking on few posts, some brill advice already. Who'd have thought, we're all in the same boat, and what a large boat it is already.

Perinowpost

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »

Hi Sophielee

All you?re describing are classic peri meno symptoms, as is the health anxiety. it's not so much that it gets better as you learn accept it for what it is. Pop any specific questions into the search box to help your research, I learnt loads this way and it really helped x

sophielee

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »

Hi Perinowpost,

I find I can somewhat accept all the other symptoms. It's the unrelenting eye irritation and pain that has really sent me over the edge. I wake up anxious and I go to bed anxious. The thought of living another 20+ years like this is horrifying.

I did a search and it seems most who post uses only eye drops to manage. Maybe like you said, they learn to accept it for what it is and carry on the best they can. I'm clearly not there yet and I'm desperate for coping strategies.

Perinowpost

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 03:31:42 PM »

Have you considered hrt it really helps x

sophielee

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »

Hi Perinowpost,

I'm still in peri. My periods have been irregular for only about a year. I'm a long way from HRT.

Even if my condition does not improve, I know I need help with my anxiety. I'm reluctant to try anti-depressants though as I've heard they're terribly addicting.

Perinowpost

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 07:27:42 PM »

I started on hrt at 47, it's more to do with symptoms than having periods x

sophielee

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »

I started on hrt at 47, it's more to do with symptoms than having periods x

Oh, I did not know this.
I have fibroids which feed on estrogen. I will have to get them dealt with before going on HRT.

Did you have good results with HRT? Although the peri symptoms are horrible, I think it's the anxiety that's the most crippling. If HRT will help with that, I think I could get back to a better version of myself.

Perinowpost

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »

Hi there

Yes I had terrible ups and downs (anxiety) during peri, which led me (after lots of research) to going on hrt. I never want to come off it now. There are lot's of benefits. Type key words into the search box and do some reading/research xx